Friday, February 09, 2018

How to Grown Up

I'm only peripherally aware of John Perry Barlow's mark on modern culture and society. As a young man, he was one of the Grateful Dead's lyricists (among other songs, he wrote Mexicali Blues), as a result of his childhood friendship with Bob Weir. (He's also reported to be the person who introduced the Dead to Dr. Timothy Leary, and in so doing ushered in some...crazy shit.) Later, he became one of the leading thinkers on digital rights and civil liberties, helping shape the modern internet, and his work with the Electronic Frontier Foundation established a libertarian-leaning framework that guided many of technology's most prominent minds.



As I said, I kinda knew most of that stuff. But not much more. Barlow passed away this week, and  among the numerous articles on his life, I stumbled upon his 25 Principles of Adult Behavior, which you'll find below:

1. Be patient. No matter what.
2. Don’t badmouth: Assign responsibility, not blame. Say nothing of another you wouldn’t say to him.
3. Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you.
4. Expand your sense of the possible.
5. Don’t trouble yourself with matters you truly cannot change.
6. Expect no more of anyone than you can deliver yourself.
7. Tolerate ambiguity.
8. Laugh at yourself frequently.
9. Concern yourself with what is right rather than who is right.
10. Never forget that, no matter how certain, you might be wrong.
11. Give up blood sports.
12. Remember that your life belongs to others as well. Don’t risk it frivolously.
13. Never lie to anyone for any reason. (Lies of omission are sometimes exempt.)
14. Learn the needs of those around you and respect them.
15. Avoid the pursuit of happiness. Seek to define your mission and pursue that.
16. Reduce your use of the first personal pronoun.
17. Praise at least as often as you disparage.
18. Admit your errors freely and soon.
19. Become less suspicious of joy.
20. Understand humility.
21. Remember that love forgives everything.
22. Foster dignity.
23. Live memorably.
24. Love yourself.
25. Endure.

According to Kottke.org, at which you can find a more expansive discussion of Barlow's principles, Barlow drew up this list when he was 30. Which makes him far more mature and thoughtful at that age than the average bear.

Or the average Gheorghie, who will find much with which to agree on Barlow's list.

I've got some work to do. Really need to finally give up blood sports.

14 comments:

Whitney said...

Pretty on-point, especially for a younger man than we ancient sages.

I'll counter #15, if only to asterisk it. Avoid the pursuit of happiness *at undue harm to others. Making yourself happy is a cornerstone of making others happy, as far as I can see.

Whitney said...

My favorite JPB-lyrics GD songs:

1. Estimated Prophet
2. Throwing Stones
3. The Music Never Stopped
4. Hell in a Bucket
5. I Need a Miracle

With #4 I guess I can say that John Perry Barlow wrote one of my senior yearbook quotes. That he passed from this earth without knowing that is the real tragedy here, people.

rootsminer said...

That's a good list. Black Throated Wind is another good JPB song.

In other music news, did anyone read this shocking Jimmy Buffett expose? Scandalous!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/arts/jimmy-buffett-does-not-live-the-jimmy-buffett-lifestyle.html

TR said...

Making fun of Bobby songs in the Dead’s catalog has long been something my high school friends and I have good-naturedly done. The Without a Net double CD was great for this, especially Looks Like Rain.

Hell in a Bucket was another fun one. He could never really nail the high notes when singing “...at least I’m enjoying the ride.”

Whitney said...

Marls had sent me the NYT Buffett article. I know Rootsy's extremist opinion of Jimmy Buffett, but I'll comment sincerely, anyway.

The article is interesting. It seemingly praises him while making sure to mention in paragraph after paragraph, every cheesy, has-nothing-to-do-with-the-music, commercial product in the Margaritaville® line -- with a large ® Registered symbol in every instance.

The author makes Buffett look greedy as hell while informing us Buffett isn't greedy. (He is.) He makes JB look like a corporate shill while explaining its his care for the consumers why he micromanages his empire.

Bottom line... I waxed indignant at neo-Buffett 13 years ago while giving plenty of credit to his early output. Jealousy of several types may play some part in that, but I was right. He's only gotten worse. And wealthier. But this article gives me a sick sense of gratification... Buffett isn't having the kind of fun I'd imagined. He's a Type A aggro fiend who wants it all but still can't get artistic respect and still gets ragged by Yacht Rockers, music snobs, and many people he pretends not to care about. He's a corporate slave and won't just retire to Key West and have fun. Hahahahaha. Suck it, Jimmy.

Whitney said...

I think I violated 5 or more of Barlow’s principles with that one comment. Sorry.

Whitney said...

Not so mini-summit next Friday in Richmond, VA. Zman, Marls, rob, Rootsy, and I watching Jason Isbell. Room aboard the funwagon for others...

zman said...

I just don't enjoy his music. Did that violate rule 16?

One of my yearbook quotes was Charles Kettering: "You can be sincere and still be stupid." I wonder what Barlow would make of that.

TR said...

Unrelated - Psyllium Husk is the shit (sorta literally). Taken 1-2x per week, it keeps things moving in a natural way. It’s a soluble fiber that you put in 8 oz of water and chug. Good things happen a half day later.

rootsminer said...

Regarding Buffett, I also don't care for his music (aside from God's Own Drunk and, occasionally, Pencil Thin Mustache), but I came away from the article with a small increase in grudging respect for how thoroughly he's committed to pimping the 'Island Party Lifestyle'. In a way, it comes off as he feels he has to be the guy to commercialize opportunities to give people a taste of it. The fact that it's enriched him greatly is almost beside the point. The kinship those Parrotheads feel when they've all shelled out a grand to see the Broadway show is worth more than money, man.

Like TR, I've been known to indulge in the random Bob Weir rag session, but you gotta admit the guy has a way with a song and his level of DGAF is admirable.

TR said...

I saw a 60 y/o man next to me start playing the video for Pitbull's Don't Stop the Party. Just randomly saw him start playing that on his big iPhone. He is now legit rocking out, stomping his foot and shaking his head. He's wearing a suit and has a briefcase with a Continental Airlines President's Club tag on it.

His DGAF level is on 11 right now. He is winning at life. And I have Pitbull and DJ Khalid in the same mental bucket. I have no idea what either did (or does) to justify their fame, but they make the world a little bit more fun.

Squeaky said...

I don't like JB, I know that's a big shocker for most of you. Pitbull is all sorts of DGAF. I saw his show, not a concert, from the first row of the stage when he preformed at a private concert for a company we work with for their client conference. He had a three level stage. After each song ended he sprinted to the top level and would strike a pose. They would then cue the next track for him to lip-sync, it was painfully obvious. After each track began he would sprint down to the third and lowest level and 'perform' the song in front of everyone.

Only good thing about those partner conferences was the year before when Lenny Kravitz played and we got to ride up in the elevator with the band. The girl drummer is all sorts of hot.

rob said...

whenever i see the parade of young, fit, good-looking athletes at the olympics, i'm reminded that the organizing committee has ordered hundreds of thousands of condoms for the olympic village. some 110,000 for these games, according to reports.

Mark said...

I like Pencil Thin Mustache. Not sorry. I don’t really like that Key West, which is great, I so heavily tied (in many minds) to Buffett. But I won’t begrudge the man for getting those checks.