Friday, October 20, 2023

I saw The Walkmen!

I saw The Walkmen this past weekend as my first post-pandemic concert.  I've been a fan for a long time and I thought I would never get to see them because they went "on hiatus" in 2013 so I was excited for their Revenge Tour.  I got on the pre-sale list early this year.  Tickets went on sale at 10 am and when I logged in at 10:01 am (because I had a fucking Teams call) they were sold out.  Luckily they enjoyed their short tour so much that they greatly extended it and I was able to catch them at Asbury Lanes, up close and personal.  It was great.

If you aren't familiar with The Walkmen you should acquaint yourself with them.  If you're a traditionalist like me and prefer the album approach, start with "A Hundred Miles Off."  They have an early-2000s sound, jangly and indy, but also really boozy.  Lots of their songs sound drunken.  Here's a Spotify playlist based on the setlist from the show.  


I always thought these guys should be way more popular than they are, but now I realize that they need a stylist and a little more on-stage charisma to win over the masses.  They're one of those bands that you see live and you realize that it's really two guys doing all the work.  Hamilton Leithouser, the frontman, reminds me a lot of former Unit M'er Sammy the Bull in both appearance and dance moves.  Fortunately for him, he sings like someone threw Rod Stewart, Julian Casablancas, Brandon Flowers, and a fifth of gin into a blender.  The other main guy, Peter Matthew Bauer, plays just about every instrument except the drums.  Like Leithouser, he has some awkward moves.


But they fucking rocked the house.  Leithouser sang his ass off, Bauer hustled his ass off between instruments, and the other guys worked their asses off too.  Much like Prince's pants they were completely assless by the end of the show.  I was delighted to hear Little House of Savages, The Rat, Postcards from Tiny Islands, Angela Surf City, On the Water, In the New Year, Thinking of a Dream I Had and the songs from A Hundred Miles Off.  I wish they played the other songs from A Hundred Miles Off (especially Brandy Alexander, Tenley Town, Lost in Boston, Another One Goes By and Emma Get Me a Lemon), Revenge Wears No Wristwatch, and Greasy Saint.  It was $30 well spent.

So sign up for their newsletter and go see The Walkmen if they ever go on tour again.

14 comments:

Whitney said...

I will definitely plan to check them out if they come ‘round these parts.

rootsminer said...

I don't have speakers on my work computer, but had to watch a little to get a reminder of Sammy the Bull's dance moves.

rob said...

did not know hamilton leithauser walked with the men. i've enjoyed his solo stylings and work with rostam.

zman said...

The Men are a different band but I like them too. Check out "Open Your Heart."

Whitney said...

“Heaven” was a repeat play on ORF Rock back when, as Penny Baker is a Walkmen fan.

mr kq said...

Heaven was me Walkmen jam, added it to a Spotify playlist in 2013. Others on said "Rogue Mix" - Rogue Wave (natch), Eternal Summers, Eddy Current Suppression, Archers of Loaf, Old 97s, Uncle Tupelo, Built to Spill, GROUPLOVE and many more! Fun trip down music lane.

rootsminer said...

Eternal Summers is a Roanoke band. I once had to squeeze them out of a practice space arrangement that I was hosting, in the spot where my office is now. Nothing personal, but they apparently thought since they were on mr kq's spotify "rogue mix" (and kanine records) that they could take over the space for a week or two at a time.

rob said...

saved a penalty kick in a men's league game last night. first time i've done that since the epic 1991 w&m intramural semifinals.

OBX dave said...

Rob, will you go the nom de footy route and become Rob-hyphen-middle name Ter Stegen, or go one name and be Robisson?

mr kq said...

El-Squi-Rel?

rob said...

always enjoyed robbo. like i'm a scottish hard man.

rootsminer said...

Is Robbo the full time keeper?

Not that there’s any reason why a fella of his stature wouldn’t be a first choice. Nosiree;)

rob said...

our full-time keeper retired at the end of last season, so i've been sharing the gloves with another guy. played a bit of keeper growing up, played catcher in baseball for a while too, 'cause it seems i don't mind throwing my body in harm's way. my dad was a hockey goalie - might run in the family.

the men's league is 7v7 played across the width of a standard field, and the goals are proportionally smaller, so robbo can easily reach the crossbar. advantage!

rootsminer said...

Ah. Up the robbo! All the way to the crossbar.