Monday, August 28, 2023

I read two books!

I read Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead a while ago because Dave suggested it.  It was great so I read the sequel, Crook Manifesto, while on vacation.  It was great too, sometimes laugh-out-loud funny, other times chillingly evil.  Both books read like screenplays and Dave said Netflix should turn them into a series.  He's right.  We're currently figuring out who to cast but we agree on Eddie Murphy for the lead.


via GIPHY

I polished Crook Manifesto off in two days and followed it up with Underground Railroad, another SoD (and maybe OBXD) recommendation (from 2016, I need to keep up).  It was not at all laugh-out-loud funny but it was often chillingly evil.  I am not eager to write about literature given the much greater qualifications of the Daves on staff here.  However, I am comfortable opining that Underground Railroad is an incredible piece of writing.  Each chapter is either a new setting with a new vibe or an eight page backstory of a secondary character.  The main character rides the underground railroad (which in this novel is literally a railroad under the ground) to different destinations.  As the first stationmaster tells her, "The problem is that one destination may be more to our liking than another .... You won't know what waits above until you pull in."  Sometimes it reads like Brave New World, other times it's like Blood Meridian, there's a chapter like The Lottery through the eyes of Anne Frank, a smattering of Sula and maybe Beloved at the beginning, then it feels like Animal Farm for a few minutes and then it hits your stomach with a crowbar at the end.  But throughout it's a horror movie, just nonstop dystopian misery.  It's a must-read.

14 comments:

rob said...

the stomach crowbar in underground railroad is real. what a crushing read. nickel boys has some similar moments, and a whipsaw ending.

rootsminer said...

I think this title is on a bookshelf in my house. I'll add it to the rotation of books that may take me years to finish.

Mark said...

Recently finished Killers of the Flower Moon. Fantastic, if heartbreaking book.

Dave said...

killers of the flower moon was a good one, but tough to read. lost city of z, by the same guy, is way more fun. same goes for crook manifesto and harlem shuffle-- they are way more fun than Colon Whitehead's other books (aside from the one where he plays in the world series of poker)

rob said...

danny, stay safe and dry the next few days. just heard from my sister that duval schools are out for the next three days. zoinks.

Mark said...

The Wager is another book by David Grann, Dave. Scorsese bought the rights to that too. Another good read.

I’m currently reading The Education of a Coach by Halberstam. It’s about Belichick but more about his relationship and his Father. Not a Pats fan but I’m fascinated by the psychology of coaching and father-son dynamics and…Halberstam so yeah, I recommend.

Danimal said...

Rob - seemingly a premature move by Duval city schools but who am I to judge. My kidlets are off tomorrow and just tomorrow at moment. Doesn't look like we're going to get Idalia's angry side, though there is a nice surf our there this morning.

I've been reading Churchill: Walk With Destiny for about a year. Up until a couple of chapters ago it's been a bit of a bore but now that we're in the thick of WWII the pages are turning much faster. My next book will be Billy Walters' book, Gambler - Secrets From a Life at Risk. Without any Mickelson dealings, this guy's story is pretty fascinating.

Whitney said...

Taking this rather erudite, Sentence of Davey kind of discussion and lowering it immeasurably...

I keep visiting Gheorghe: The Blog over the last day or so.
I keep reading Zman's post title.
I keep hearing it in my head a la Sir Mix-a-Lot.
I keep adding "and I cannot lie" to it in my head.
I chuckle on occasion when I do it.
More often I shake my head at myself.
And I cannot tell you why this happens.

Dear gheorghies, what is wrong with me?

rob said...

that's just being a human, man. roll with it. baby.

zman said...

The title of that song is Whitney Got Books.

rootsminer said...

It may be a good thing I'm busy today, cause this new song is dying for bars. I'll drop in with one later if a bolt of inspiration hits.

Mark said...

Update from the Space Coast: School cancelled tomorrow (it’s more about buses in high winds than anything) so I guess I’ll have a couple pops tonight. Not expecting much more than a rainy windy day.

zman said...

zson formed the view that zdog is fat (which is true) so he decided to give her some exercise (which is a good idea) so he ran wind sprints with her up and down our block (which is not a good idea) and when they came inside she puked all over my office (which was not cool at all) 4 minutes before I had a videoconference (which I attended with the camera off, wearing rubber gloves, scooping up dog puke).

rob said...

new guy making a strong zimpression!