Tuesday, July 07, 2020

The Big Man and Captain Trips and You and Me

Last month I mentioned an unlikely pairing that "got me right behind the ol' ballpoint," to quote Cliff Clavin: Joe Strummer and Bruce Springsteen.

Today we get another coupling that I missed along the way but definitely should not have.

Clarence Clemons and Jerry Garcia.  The Big Man and Captain Trips.

In 1989, right about the time Random Idiots were forming in a College of William and Mary dormitory room, the E Street band was on hiatus.  Bruce Springsteen had disassembled them after the Tunnel of Love tour. Speculation was rampant as to whether they'd ever regroup. Most figured they
would, but nobody was sure when... or even if.

So in '89, Clarence Clemons was, as Grateful Dead's Bob Weir put it, "in moving-on mode."

Enter Jerry, who was always on the move. Since the Big Man was hanging around the Bay Area, it stood to reason they'd cross paths, and when they did, they played together.  Clemons played a string of Jerry Garcia Band shows and even a couple of Dead-proper shows.

The result was two great tastes that go great together, and you can find a number of these shows.  Melvin Seals and Jerry and Clarence... pretty damn good.

As a recent Rolling stone article conveys, Weir enjoyed it.
"Clarence was an old pal, a soulful bro. He was a good hang. Back in the late Eighties and early Nineties, he was living out here in Marin County. He was in moving-on mode, and he, Jerry, and I mixed it up a bit. We were dropping by clubs like Sweetwater and sitting in with various bands.”
I'd love to be called a "good hang" by the likes of Bob Weir, or any of the gheorghies, for that matter.

And if them playing music together wasn't entertainment enough, imagine if this had happened:
“Jerry and I were both single at that time, and Clarence suggested the three of us move in together and have a bachelor pad,” Weir recalled bemusedly. “Jerry and I almost went for it. It would’ve been a lot of fun, but I don’t think anyone would have survived. Jerry was in good shape, but we were doing a little drinking.”
I smell sitcom... This Deadhead found the whole collaboration to be a hoot.

Anyway, it's a fun pairing. I saw the JGB at Merriweather Post in September 1989, just missing one of the shows where the Big Man joined them. There was a lot blowing my mind that night; who knows, perhaps Clarence Clemons walking on stage might've done me in.

A few months back, the 9/16/89 show from a Chicago suburb was formally released, and I've been letting it play for a spell. Find it: GarciaLive Volume 13: September 16th, 1989 Poplar Creek Music Theatre.  Speaking of released, their take on "I Shall Be Released" is pretty much nectar.

Here's a cut. They love each other, or at least it sure looks that way in the photos.


and here's Clarence with the Dead in Oak-town, closing out the show...


There was talk of CC joining the Dead, but they were a democracy, and since some members hated saxophones, well... there it went. The E Street band rejoined Bruce a decade later. Happy to say that I caught a trio of shows from the '99 reformation, one with our Boss-lovin' chum Earl Lloyd.

The world misses Jerry, and Clarence, and Earl. May you all have music and memories to rock your soul.
Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul

25 comments:

Danimal said...

Marls - in response to your last comment, I thought Lance was all natural back in the day so I'll preface this next statement with that...I don't think Bryson is cheating. He's a bit of a unit who lacks self-awareness and maybe even common sense (and friends on tour) but my money is on him being clean. The 2nd article is interesting if you don't already know this about him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/24/sports/golf/bryson-dechambeau-weight.html
https://golf.com/news/bryson-dechambeau-single-length-iron-revolution/

TR said...

Well, those are some kinds of nuggets, Whit. I'm ashamed to have known nothing about this. You done learned me up on this topic!

Clarence did a solo show at the Jersey Shore in '96. Two friends of mine worked at Jenk's, a cheesy bar on the sand in Pt Pleasant. Both were huge Springsteen fans and were very excited. Clarence rolled in shitfaced, drinking tequila from a coffee mug, and played a sloppy set. He kept telling folks Bruce wasn't coming. My friends said it was pretty sad to see.

But he and Bobby as an oddball pair of skirt-chasing roommates in '89 would have been fun to watch.

Marls said...

Thanks Dan. I guess time will tell about BD. I actually root for him to do well. The single length iron thing is interesting and I’m planning on trying the Cobras. However, I’m still not sure I buy into the 3 month, gym and eating right stuff. He could still be a great at his sport and a cheater like Lance, Bonds, Big Mac.

Danimal said...

He sure could. He did begin the strength redo a couple/few months prior to covid tho.
I'd like to try out those irons too.

OBX dave said...

Whit, nicely done [and golf clap] with the back-to-back Grateful Alive-Grateful Dead posts.

I imagine more than a few beers were needed to take the edge off of that adrenaline jangle. Christ, that's frightening.

Shlara said...

glad you emerged from the holiday weekend unscathed Whit

TR said...

My 12 y/o had his first travel baseball game in 11 mos tonight. Pitchers struggled, hitters had no timing, and mental/physical errors were plentiful. One boy hit a double to the OF wall. Another got caught trying to steal home on a passed ball when we were down 5 runs in the 5th with one out. I cheered, coached and but my tongue a lot. I got dirty dragging tarps onto the field after the game, and my back hurt after lugging a canopy to/from my car.

And it was all pretty glorious. A short-lived return to something my kid and I used to do before the world changed on us.

rob said...

happy obft eve, gheorghies

Whitney said...

It’s the most wonderful time of the year...

Thanks, Shlara and DF. Life is beautiful.

T.J. said...

I pulled a Dave and left this comment in an older post:

holy shit, Whit. I am glad you're OK. you're due for about 69 Red Stripes at Tortuga's after that

Whitney said...

Sure seems like DeSean Jackson is getting a free pass for some beyond-incendiary, hate-filled remarks. Some of my Jewish friends who walked in Black Lives Matter protests are very troubled by that. And Stephen Jackson, who helped push the George Floyd issue more into the spotlight, isn't helping when he says, "We have a Jewish owner. He understands where we stand and some of the things we say, but it’s not directed to him. It’s the way we’ve been treated. Philadelphia, y’all need to repost this."

By this, I believe he means some Nazi-attributed anti-Semitic hate mongering. Yikes?

rootsminer said...

I hope someone claims my sleeping spot this year at OBFT. It's quite nice.

Whitney said...

Wish you were joining us, Rootsy... your spot is still available if you can slip out

rootsminer said...

Unfortunately I'm too busy working harder than ever for next to nothing to duck out on short notice. I'll be in touch if I decide to say 'fuck it' and skip town.

Danimal said...

How is Tybee Mark? Have considered that on a couple of occasions for fam trip....

zman said...

I'm working harder than ever and you can call it mackin

Donna said...

Glad y’all are okay, Whit! Y’all have a grand time for OBFT! Be safe too.

Marls said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marls said...

Brooks weighing in on the steroid issue via the Twitter machine

T.J. said...

TR, threw you a solid thumbs up on the LinkedIn post...congrats

TR said...

Thx, but it’s just me joining an expert network. If an ad hoc consultant is needed for litigation/contract work, etc., I’m the guy. There’s a 90% chance it is nothing.

But it’s an excuse to pimp myself on social media, and I’m qualmless about doing that. I’m still jobless. But my tan is approaching a George Hamilton level. So I got that going for me.

Mark said...

Dan- Tybee is great. We’re in an 8 bedroom/5.5 bath house a block from the beach. We’ve been doing the same thing every day. Beach/pool/drinking and then dinner. Pretty fucking perfect.

TR said...

I got tossed from a baseball game tonight. Some dickhead ump was running his mouth all game, making offhanded and often negative comments to kids on both teams. My son was pitching and he was struggling. The ump, who was behind the mound, told him he'll never get a strike call b/c he's up there throwing softballs. My kid got upset but held it together. He told me after and I kinda went apeshit. It was after the game and the ump tossed me. I laughed at him. He tried to order me off the field.

So my effort to stay calm and just enjoy the game went out the window. But seriously, what a douchebag. Last I checked, the mph didn't matter. But I got major props from the kids, who know I'll stick up for them. The parents may think I'm crazypants.

Danimal said...

Nice goin Tr. You now have cred, or more of it. Hold it tight.

rootsminer said...

I'd like to see a video of TR going Billy Martin on the ump.