Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Never Forgetting Means Remembering

TR's comment from the last post stirred a little something.   There are many fine tributes on social media today, as there are every year -- some more cursory, some more thoughtful and thought-provoking.  I guess after a number years of tearful remembrances, it's been more of a quiet, quick reflection on this day for me.  The human brain doing what it does; it's more comfortable and natural  to not think about the horribleness I hope to never watch again.

But to "Never Forget" means to remember, and that's what we should do every year.

Lud, far right with the babyface
Not the unfathomably evil deeds and the terror we all felt, but the spirit of those we lost. For us older gheorghies that's fratres Mark Ludvigsen and Mike Edwards. As you've read here before.

I will always remember Lud as the guy who positively pestered me to play rugby (and join a certain fraternity). His love of the game was the most compelling reason for me to get involved, and doing so changed my college experience irrevocably for the better. Without question.  I'm grateful.

Scoop, second from left getting cupped


Speaking of which, for Edwards, I will remember listening to the Dead and taking heat alongside him from most of the guys in the house who'd much rather hear AC/DC and the like... but then him rallying a fairly large group of the dudes to go to Hampton Coliseum for the now-legendary "Formerly the Warlocks" shows.  That was a win.  And I was happy to be a part of it.



Little thoughts to stoke the embers of their memories.  I'll expect the same from you clowns when I'm gone.

TR's comment is worth re-airing
Today is a Tuesday, just like 9/11/01. But it’s not a crystal blue sky like that day. I worked downtown from ‘97 to early ‘03, then happily moved to midtown. Fate brought me a new job downtown. Will be my first 9/11 in the area since ‘02. Not too psyched to be here, staring out my window at my old work bldg, the one I evacuated that day.

Not sure anybody under 30 around these parts really gets it, and there’s a lot of them here b/c the Financial District is morphing into more of a residential neighborhood. Newspapers make the anniversary less of a big deal every year. Hoping to bury myself in work all day.
#nbtyrsd

12 comments:

TR said...

Nicely done, Whit. I should’ve done something like that myself.

I found out this summer that the famous “Red Bandanna” young man who was credited with saving several lives in one of the towers before eventually losing his in the collapse, was an alum of the sleepaway summer camp where both my sons will be going next year. I spoke to a couple young camp counselors and was happy to find out they were well-aware of his bravery that day. The guy’s name was Welles Crowther and his background/story is worth learning.

T.J. said...

Excellent post, Whit. Though not as poignant as TR's comment, I chimed in on the post below as well:
drove by the Pentagon on my way into work this morning, immediately giving me goosebumps and invoking the feeling I had driving home late morning 17 years ago on a completely empty highway, stopping on the road to stare at the smoldering side of the building where that flag hangs today

And W&M just tweeted this out:
https://twitter.com/WMAlumni/status/1039515400650682369

rob said...

three of those alums were lammies, and i went to grad school with a fourth.

i remember being really proud of our country in the immediate aftermath of that day. i was never a bush supporter, but he stood tall as a leader and a healer for all americans.

there's a picture this morning of our current president celebrating like he's at a rock concert as he got off a plane on his way to shanksville, pa, that most sacred and somber of places. the contrast between his leadership and that of his predecessor 17 years ago is staggering. candidly, i still love america, but i'm measurably less proud of her today than i was then.

Whitney said...


I'm an easy mark on this, but I try to watch this clip every 9/11, and it gets me every time.

http://youtu.be/-fLGzbGGEYQ

Whitney said...

My work and grad classes cancelled until at least Monday. It’s on.

rob said...

oh, man. shades of the great freeze of 1994, only warmer.

TR said...

We’re all in agreement that Nacho Elvira is the greatest name for an active professional athlete, right?

Right? Good.

Marls said...

Lots of shitty memories related to 9/11. One god one was getting tossed out of the Old Town after Lud’s memorial at NYAC for trying to jam Whit on his birthday and the bartender screaming that we were going to crack 100 year old urinals.

TR said...

I believe that was El Reynoldo who spearheaded that. It was after he started spitting dip spit in their ketchup bottles. Strong showing by him. By strong, I mean not strong.

Marls said...

Somebody might have needed “cool lessons”.

zman said...

This will not be my promised stupid BaT purchase.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2015-ferrari-laferrari/

Whitney said...

Terrible.

https://mashable.com/article/russia-dominoes-free-pizza-logo-tattoo/#3fMt.HOs4OqI