Friday, September 01, 2006

Who set the time circuits for 1994?

All of a sudden, I'm watching TV, I'm reading ESPN.com, and I could swear it's 1994 all over again. Sure, we're probably not getting any days as stunning (the 12th of June) or entertaining (the 17th of June) as in 1994, but there are some fellas (and teams) in the news certainly making me think it was '94 all over again...

But first, a quick recap of 1994 (in other words, I need some filler). 1994 gave us Buffalo losing yet another Super Bowl, Hakeem's Dream Warriors beating the Knicks (some might say John Starks actually beat the Knicks) and [ ] winning the World Series. Oh yeah, that's right, there was no fucking World Series in 1994...stupid cocksuckers...not that I'm bitter...

'94 gave me time to make out during Schindler's List (wait, that wasn't me) before packing for my Freshman year of college...AND my trip to Williamsburg was delayed by a bunch of faux-hippy crunchy-granolas with daddy's credit card clogging the NY State Thruway to catch Woodstock '94. Somehow I don't think a Woodstock headlined by Green Day and Nine Inch Nails quite captures the spirit of the original. Maybe that's just me...

Anyway, back to my original premise - the guy that really made me think we all jumped in the DeLorean with Doc Emmett Brown was on the USA Network last night, supplying one of the more entertaining tennis matches I've ever seen. Yes, it's true I watch tennis about as often as Woody Paige makes a lucid point, but that's not the issue here. The same guy who came off wrist surgery in 1994 to win the U.S. Open over Michael Stich (Agassi was unseeded no less) now has everyone thinking (maybe hoping and dreaming would be more accurate) he can do it again in 2006. Andre Agassi's first two matches have been highly entertaining, and in fact, have been the kind of must-see-TV that makes me as a fan feel as exhausted as the guys playing. As Jerry mentioned this morning, there's was also a certain WWE feel to the match last night, and that's never a bad thing (Baghdatis' leg cramps had Vince Russo written all over it). Here's hoping Andre can hang on for one more match at least, so we can see him match-up with Andy Roddick, who, by the way, was 12 in 1994.

The Oakland Raiders never cease to amaze me. Earlier this week Lazarus Davis signed Jeff George to QB his team to glory, glory being 4-12 of course. Don't think for a second that George won't be replacing Aaron Brooks sometime in Week 2, attempting to recreate the success of his extremely productive '94 campaign, in which he threw for 3,734 yards and 23 TDs in the run-and-shoot offense of current Hawaii coach June Jones. Of course, George will also most likely be released sometime after Week 6 when he challenges Art Shell to a street brawl.

Back in 1994, there was much hope in Jet-land. After the less-than-impressive Bruce Coslet era, a new young coach was going to lead the Jets to the promised land. Sure, it might be an uphill climb, but he had the enthusiasm and smarts to get it done. Well, Pete Carroll went 6-10, got himself canned, and worst of all, ushered in the Rich Kotite era in NY. Be very afraid Eric Mangigi, be very afraid (I know I am)...by the way, the stars of the 1994 NY Jets. Boomer Esiason and Johnny Johnson. I have no clue how these guy's managed 6 wins.

One last item - I'm flipping by espn2 last night, and who's batting 5th for the Mets? Julio Franco. Julio Franco was already 35 in 1994, folks. He was 8th in the MVP voting that year. Julio Franco is now 47 years old and looks in better shape than 80% of the guys in baseball.

It wouldn't be a TJ post without your obligatory YouTube clip...special 1994 edition

19 comments:

T.J. said...

Also, in October of 1994, film students Heather Donahue, Michael Williams and Joshua Leonard go missing while making a documentary about the Blair Witch, a legendary creature believed to haunt the woods near Burkittsville, Maryland. A year later, though their bodies are never found, the footage the students shot has been recovered, and the film in its entirety is composed of fragments of that footage.

Mark said...

Nice Johnny Johnson mention. I cna remember ahving heated deabtes with a friend of mine about whether Johnny Johnson was all white or half & half.

I don't belive the debate was ever formally settled.

For the record, I was on the half & half side of the debate.

T.J. said...

I always thought he was half and half as well.

T.J. said...

Deion Branch...come on down. You know you want to...

Mark said...

Yeah, come on down to Seattle...oh wait.

Jerry said...

Uh...1994? That means one thing. And I didn't see it on that post. I'm never talking to you again.

T.J. said...

I think SportsGuy wrote all about it in his novella "Now I Can Die in Peace". Oh wait, that wasn't about the Rangers winning the Cup? His bad...

T.J. said...

In case you were wondering, yes, I do miss the Crocodile Hunter already...

T.J. said...

Was anyone else horrified when they tuned into college football Saturday and realized Paul Maguire was still employed?

T.J. said...

I would expect nothing less

Mark said...

The realization that Paul Maguire was still employed as a broadcaster was far more devastating (to me) than the news of Irwin's death. After he attacked Albert in the halls of ESPN, he had it coming.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SAMO said...

Great Youtube clip!!

T.J. said...

So, in the course of looking up some stuff on the interweb for work, I somehow ended up here. That is one motley crew.

SAMO said...

Jeff George is awesome I hope someone picks him up!

Mark said...

I'm pretty sure that I could've been arrested on "terroristic threats" charges at numerous points during college.

rob said...

so you realize you're allowed to post new stuff, right?

T.J. said...

The Anibel/Hanley vs. Josh/Mike post could be on it's way...with perhaps a dash of the Mirabelli trade mixed it...

rob said...

that'll make me all warm and happy