There are a million different things we could say about Dolly Parton. We could emphasize her kindness, her humanitarian efforts (she fucking helped fund the development of the Moderna COVID vaccine!*), her authenticity, her acting, her self-awareness, her loyalty to her husband and her roots, her genuine affection, her ability to laugh at herself and with others, her damn near singular manner of embracing her sexuality on her terms and not the culture's - especially given the era she came to prominence in, her songwriting, her...all of it. Absolutely one of a kind, and the universal outpouring of love for her in the wake of her passing will not be matched in my lifetime.
(* Apologies for cursing, ma'am.)
And there are a million different pieces that have and will be written about the indelible mark she left on our world. I'd rather spend time reading those than trying to find a new angle.
One of the most interesting things I've seen since she left us this week is directly connected to the thing we knew her for first. The number and diversity of the artists that have honored her with their live performances over the past few days is remarkable. She touched performers from Eminem to Brandi Carlile and so many beyond that, famous and not. Here are just a very few of the musicians that made time to remember one of one:
I mean, Pitbull loved Dolly!
Jack White's been performing Jolene for years. Here he was the night after she passed.
The everlovin' Bands of His Majesty's Royal Marines, for goodness' sake.
The Avett Brothers were probably a good bet.
@avettbros The Avett Brothers perform a mashup of Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You” and “Pretty Girl from Annapolis” at their show last night. 🦋 #dollyparton #dolly #avettbrothers #livemusic #cover ♬ original sound - The Avett Brothers
But I don't that anyone other than Dooger would've guess Amyl and the Sniffers loved her.
Amyl and the Sniffers pay tribute to Dolly Parton at their show in Dublin: "I f**king love Dolly Parton so much" 🤘
— Far Out Magazine (@FarOutMag) August 26, 2026
🤳: danleith_comedy pic.twitter.com/BrujVYltXS
No comments:
Post a Comment