Monday, January 09, 2023

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Eleven

Though you wouldn't know it by the time it's taken me to get the year-ending review of our dipshittery posted, the exercise this year was easier than in recent years. Because we dropped a mere 183 posts, the fewest since 2006. You'd expect, though, that quantity would give way as we age and mature. Keep on expectin', friends.

On with it, then, another year of camaraderie, ephemera, semi-serious posts, and semi-literate ones. One of these days, our very own Chinese Democracy will make it to the internet, as Marls and zman inform me that they're thisclose to finishing their magnum opus.

January

The first post of 2022? Day Ten of Gheorghemas 2021, courtesy of Danimal.

Later, in a post about a late, lamented amusement park, we describe the Gheorghian calendar as "influenced as it always is by a combination of lunar position, grain harvest, and Romanian weather". So this season's version is par for the course.

Doomsday Glacier comin'.

OBX Dave tried to teach us how to sleep.

Shlara's a Villan!

Zman, unions, monkeys, part one.

A Few Words for Johnny G

Zman, unions, monkeys, the sequel.

February

Monkees and Wiggles and Elephants, oh my!

Zman, unions, monkeys, the Pip.

Bite me, Randy Newman: the Earl Boykins episode.

OBX Dave, UBI. I say we need UBOBXD.

Wrenball, meh. Could be worse - we could be Gheorghetown fans.

And lo, the Twelfth Day of Gheorgemas.

March

She came in like a thing that's got a lot of filler, went out like a slightly better thing.

Fashion is Dumb makes a (spectacular) return.

Mike Tyson's ear-shaped edibles!

Mark helped us adopt a college basketball player.

(Yoko) Oh No.

OBX Dave gives America more credit than America deserves, I fear.

April

12 fucking posts? Woof.

Wrenball: The Hemorrhage

Any time Whitney writes about Mott the Hoople, well, you know.

The Latest in Beer News

Danimal comes through with the first-ever G:TB post featuring a photo from a lavatory.

We learned a LOT about the 757.

May

Whit's annual Rock n Roll HOF selection recap. Always a peach.

My baffling, wondrous first-born child.

Athletes' G.I. Bill

Elegy for a Dive, Weeping Radish Version

The Kids are Alright

R.I.P. Roger Angell

June

zHot Take: Science Fiction

Turkey-yay

Lapses and Synapses

OBX Dave's ticker gave me a reason to post Don Johnson's 'Heartbeat' video!

zman bought the zcar he should drive!

Kate Bush, runnin' back up that hill.

Fetterman for President!

July

Professor G Truck started a podcast. It's quite good. When are we (re)starting G:TB:TP?

I got back on the St. Croix River. Glorious.

Beastie Boys got a square!

Me and my disease.

We Fucking Love (the) Cocaine (Bear Movie)

Stellar environmentally-themed Gheorgasbord

August

TR's Origin Story

Mayhugh Guestie! Complete with the Teej's awful formatting.

My brother, my long-lost cousin.

Big day for Whitney.

Sploot, there it is!

Lagom for the masses.

September

Michael Fucking Sheen.

It's Murder Out There for Reporters

Fuck the Browns and the horseshit they rode in on.

Y'all have been doing it wrong.

There were a lot of really cool recurring music posts, like Whitney's Six-Pack, Notify, and zShazams, so consider this entry a nod to all of them, and please to be keeping them coming, gents.

This Outside Magazine article about Russ Byars is one of the best things I read in 2022.

October

U.S. Soccer's inability to fix the sport's treatment of women is an ongoing disgrace.

Not that the NFL has it's shit together.

Family weekend, #skobuffs

It's in the Net! Happy trails, Dave Johnson.

You can't fire me, I quit! Oh, you can?

More pessimistic than not about the future of the Republic. Good times.

We're gonna live foreeever!

November

We were only nineteen, past the age of reason.

We spilled a lot of pixels on the midterm elections. Fettermaaaan!

Baby Nats!

Over the Rainbow Bridge.

I picked Argentina to win the World Cup. Pretty, pretty good. (We'll not discuss the rest of the Final Four.)

The machines are getting closer and closer.

These fuckwits are coming for our legacy.

The committee that decides such things named OBX Dave the 2022 MVG, and the press release was drafted and everything. Something about consistently excellent long-form pieces about diverse and interesting topics. But then we got an anonymous tip that he was actually once a professional scribbler, and by our complex and time-honored and not just made up rules, that makes him ineligible. So we're vacating the title.

19 comments:

rootsminer said...

I see how this post could take awhile to compile.

Mark said...

Sweet Jeebus, please let Georgia lose.

Whitney said...

Another fine tour around the Gheorghie playground. Well executed, Robbie.

Whitney said...

And Mark, it appears your wish is being ignored

rob said...

tcu's next game is coach prime's colorado debut, 9/2 in fort worth. gonna be some pent up frustration on display, i'd imagine.

Whitney said...

Indeed. But Fort Worth will cross Coach Prime’s mind and he’ll be ready.

Mark said...

This game bums me out. Fucking Ohio State. At least I’m eating short rib tacos.

Mark said...

My kid came home from school sick today. Stuffy. Fever. Pretty sure I feel worse.

Danimal said...

Nice job Roberto as always.
And yes, what a letdown last night was. I actually thought it was going to be a fairly competitive game. Glad I didn't wager. At least we have a few more weeks of the NFL. It's been a long time since I've cared.

Dry "January" (the 1st through the 23rd; and then 27th - Feb 4), my first ever, is going well not that you care. It's broken due to annual golf biz convention in Orlando. Sure, I could abstain, but I won't and nor do I want to. This is sad to say but I don't think I've gone more than 8 days without booze since I was a cultish multi-sport guy - 6-7 years. It feels good. Sleep has been great. Carry on.

rob said...

i was very confident that the dawgs would cover the 12.5 points, so i made a wager that's larger than i'm usually comfortable with. not phil mickelson territory, but enough to afford a nice new pair of shoes with the winnings.

Whitney said...

Father John Misty on tour this spring. I know a gheorghie who digs his music quite a bit.

Norfolk, Roanoke, Asbury Park, Port Chester, Providence -- Shirley you can make it to a show, Z

zman said...

Shirley I can, let me check the fambly schedule. I'm the ideal husband.

rob said...

rhett miller’s on the road, as well. a week from today at union stage in deecee.

OBX dave said...

Honored that the committee considered and summarily rejected my nomination, but grateful that I'm welcome in the digital tree fort.

rob said...

whit, what does the gheorghemas calendar say about the rough timing of day 12?

Marls said...

April 26 in Norfolk….interesting

Professor G. Truck said...

covid finally got my wife-- she's sleeping down in the basement. sick, but not too sick. and we made it to colin quinn on saturday. alex had it in the summer, ian and i are last men standing . . .

Marls said...

Cat is sick and you are making her sleep in the basement?

Whitney said...

Robbie, hope to have day 12 up by end of the week.