Thursday, January 19, 2023

Guestie: Mystery Submission

 Sometimes these things just appear in my inbox...and I post them on behalf of Mr. Lee.

Grinds My Gears, 2023 Version

I should be starting the new year off w/ positive thinking, but some things have been bugging me. 

Grammar

It’s almost cliché to complain about, but the language is dying one word/phrase at a time. Examples:

1. “Real-i-tor”  This is so simple.  It’s REAL-TOR.  

2. “Vetrans” – on the opposite side of the spectrum.  It’s “Vet-er-ans Day”.  The second e is not fucking silent.  Say the requisite syllables as fast or slow as you want, but let’s stop adding/subtracting letters and just say the word as it’s spelled.  No more, no less.  

3. “And I” – the misuse of this phrase has taken over the world, folks.  You do not send the email to Julie and I; you send it to Julie and me.  Subject vs object.  Easy cheat: say the sentence without “Julie and”. “Send the email to I” sounds stupid right?  [Bonus gripe: I heard someone say (I’m paraphrasing) “Are you attending Bob and I’s presentation”. I can’t even look at them anymore]

4. “Estatic” – I’m not estatic, I’m ecstatic.  Show the c some respect (sounds dirtier than intended).

5. “Sherbert” – this one’s been mispronounced for so long that we just equivocated and now either pronunciation is somehow acceptable.  It’s spelled S-H-E-R-B-E-T; we’re not in a Guy Ritchie movie - WE DON’T PUT R’S WHERE THEY DON’T BELONG.   Act I of a future John Wick sequel is going to open with our hero in the frozen section of his local Safeway (Publix for the FLA guys) when he overhears someone pronouncing it incorrectly…

Partisanship

I’ve absolutely had it with party identity.  HAD.  IT.  Not a new take, but the us/them, voting for/supporting the name on the front of the jersey rather than the back is at critical mass and an increasingly tiresome exercise in zero sum democracy.

First, the double standards – the conduct of our leaders (or anyone else) is either good or bad, it isn’t influenced by whether or not the person aligns with my party/ideology.  Whataboutism sucks.

Second, coalition building across the aisles is nonexistent and, more troubling, not enough people seem bothered by that fact – they’ve just accepted the continuous wheel of “whomever has more seats in the Congressional house pushes the party agenda without compromise”.  “The motion passed 54-46, with all 54 X Party senators voting Yes” is no way to govern.  You represent all of your constituents, not just the ones who voted for you.  This way of governing is also creating MASSIVE regulatory swings (i.e. costs and inefficiencies) as administrations/party in power changes and all the rules change with it.  Compromise should be the norm – everybody else in every other job does it nearly every damn day.  It should be a sign of strength, intelligence, and good faith, rather than the exception or cause for being portrayed as a traitor by your party’s leaders or booed by its voters.  

The recent events are mind blowing for what did and didn’t transpire.  Having yourself nominated for a position more than 3 or 4 times in a row seems like some stone cold narcissism (not to mention aligned party members only found the “send” button on their keyboard to disavow a certain freshman Congressmen from NY after his vote for Speaker was recorded, all 15 times).  More disconcerting – it seems like nobody’s blinking an eye that a party leader would negotiate for votes with the most extreme 10th percentile of their own party instead of crossing the aisles and engaging a larger percentage of serious-minded moderates on the other side.  And did the D’s even try to work the situation for a moderate, collaborative-minded candidate, or better split on committees to enable coalitions, or did they just say “don’t worry, let’s just see if they’ll EFF it up themselves?” I’m frustrated that they seemingly took the zero to play out this diametric opposition method of governing for 2 more years.  We should demand more from everyone involved.

Ordering “shaved” meat at a deli/grocery store

Saved the most consequential issue for last.   I’m predisposed to upholding the status quo and not making people go out of their way for me.  So, it causes me incredible strife and requires substantial soul searching and mental preparation on my part when my wife sends me to the grocery store with a list that includes e.g. “2 pounds of ham (shaved)”.  That’s how she always writes it; she sneaks in “shaved”.

You may have seen this method where the meat is nearly translucent and a different texture, and the slicer has to go through about 200 rotations just to get anywhere close to 1/4 pound of meat.  Every deli clerk THINKS they can shave meat, but you know after one slice – when they hold it up for your inspection – whether that is actually in their skillset.  It’s like, if you THINK you can write in calligraphy, you CAN’T write in calligraphy.

Properly shaving meat is, apparently, an especially niche skill you hardly ever find in nature.  There are like 15 people in the world who can actually “shave” meat rather than just “slice it really thinly”, and I always imagine they trained for years under a strict vow of silence at some Shaolin-esque temple on a desolate island or hanging off the edge of a cliff near a waterfall somewhere.  But setting that aside, and assuming they CAN shave it, REQUESTING they do so is SUPER awkward.  The attendant slices the meat for 5 minutes, weighs it, and of course it’s not anywhere close, slices more, rinse repeat, repeat, repeat.  Meanwhile 9 people who just wanted a ½ pound of moderately priced Jarlsberg are piling up behind you and they’re all alternately staring at you and the deli clerk, like you and the deli clerk are shooting a snuff film.  There may be some law of physics that shaving ham speeds up the ham molecules in a way that makes it exponentially tastier than thin-sliced (my conscience, along with a histamine intolerance, precludes me from eating it to confirm/correct), but the cost-benefit scale is tipped dramatically in the wrong direction.

52 comments:

Whitney said...

54-46 that's my number.

Whitney said...

Love this post. I'm an easy mark for this stuff.

Whitney said...

Part 3 of this post reminds me of this hilarious Patton Oswalt bit.

rootsminer said...

Nice Toots and the Maytalls reference by Whitney.

I choose my grocery store based on the competence of their deli. Now they all know my by my order :1.5lbs of turkey, sliced at 1.5 on the dial.

rob said...

negative, ghostwriter.

i don’t even know, just enjoyed that pun when it popped into my head, so figured i’d share. sharing is caring!

Danimal said...

Good one TJ! Don't forget effect vs affect.
We are working hard right now with our youngest, 10, who inserts "Like" roughly every 4-5 words. This practice among the yutes of today - no bueno. Makes me mental. As she butchers sentences and stories, I border on the mean, repeating the word each time like a 12-year old bully would.. "LIKE! LIKE!! LIKE!!!!! My wife has instituted a 5-cent tax per use. We're seeing progress but not at the rate I'd prefer.

Teej - you ever consider pre-ordering the meat? That's my secret to success at the deli counter. I do not have the patience for that.

T.J. said...

I wish I had penned this post, but apparently I can't write for shit anymore (could I ever?)... this is all the handiwork of our newest columnist, Mr. Lee

Tho I will say, I have never thought to pre-order the meat at the deli counter...I like that

T.J. said...

eliminating verbal crutches is a major pain in the ass. several years back had a boss who said "literally" literally all the time, and it took months and months to shake it from my own vocab

Danimal said...

Oh. Well, don't beat yourself up.

Mark said...

Pronouncing especially and ecspecially really, really annoys me. It’s not that fucking hard.

Danimal said...

asterisk vs asterick is a gear grinder

Whitney said...

ex cetera is a thorn in ye olde side

zman said...

I used to shave my meat but now I wax it. Stays clean longer this way.

zman said...

Apostrophes also flummox too many people. My former neighbor was the head of communications for a major company, but she always screwed up plural and possessive. For example, her flyers advertising the annual Christmas progressive would say stuff like, "The Smith's will host the first leg of the party."

Whitney said...

The Smith's Will is also how the Fresh Prince is addressed.

Mark said...

Came down with fever and chills today. Tested for COVID. Negative baby! The streak continues. But I do feel like shit.

Marls said...

There is a proper usage for “ex cetera“

After 1985, the band Chicago was ex cetera.

Danimal said...

Hmmm...that's on the border.

Back in the high school days, when one made a comment that the group felt a poor attempt at humor, or was thick with cheese, someone would say, "Five Bucks", as in, give me five bucks for making that comment. I do not remember how it originated and admit it's pretty cheesy itself. We had a lot of fun with it and use it on occasion to this very day. Now ya know.

Whitney said...

Mark, hope you feel better and dodge Cov-a-rama

rob said...

do’nt get me started on apostrophe’s. i do cop to struggling with its and it’s.

Whitney said...

Yes you do, r'ob

rob said...

david crosby, harmonizing in the great beyond

rob said...

deion coming to colorado was interesting to me because of my familial connection there, and i expected he'd improve the roster. but shit's starting to get crazy. cormani mcclain, the top corner in the class of 2023 and 9th-ranked recruit overall, just switched his commitment from miami to colorado. buffs might win more than one game next year.

Whitney said...

The Crosby doc from 3 years ago is worth your time. The man frustrates, but his voice, his music, and the story are compelling.

Whitney said...

We took in Jim Gaffigan’s show at the Norfolk Scope tonight. Dude’s not very edgy, but dude’s very funny.

rootsminer said...

I'll miss Croz rating people's joints.

Donna said...

Another vote for "irregardless" -- good grief. National broadcast journalist used that word on NPR yesterday. OMDL! It's not a word.
And I can write calligraphy.
And another vote for being so fed-up with damn politics. Compromise is required. "Half-way damn happy" people. For generations. Good f@$king Grief! Everyone here in my 'hood wants the superintendent of schools head to roll because a 6 year old brought a gun to school and shot his teacher...how about if we're casting blame we hold Congress and the VA legislature responsible for lack of commonsense gun regulations? How about we have some gun-storage laws where you can't keep ammo and a gun in the same place? How about we address federal money for schools being tied to how many kids are disciplined in a school (suspended or expelled) as is the case? OMDL
And finally, there's a guy in the OBX - Avon to be exact - at the Food Lion no less, who can slice shaved ham. I'm not kidding. And I'm not making some weird or off-color, dirty joke (don't even know what that would be, but I know you guys, or some of you anyhow). Truly. No other deli in a Food Lion can that I've been to, but that guy can.

rootsminer said...

I know we're all adults here Donna, but let's keep it PG ;)

rob said...

i believe pastor donna just besmirched some of you guys.

Donna said...

Funny, Rob, trying to distance yourself from the rest, seeing as how you, Whit, and Dave are who I know.
Hey, in case any of you are in the giving mood, my son is doing this cool thing at the end of February called Race2Prague, where teams of kids from St. Andrews Univ. hitchhike to Prague through the UK/Europe. All the money they raise is for charities chosen by the student group (they've raised money for cancer research, hospice, homeless needs, etc. over the 28 years they've been doing this -- they go to a diff city every year). It's held during basically their "winter break"...the "race" part is which team can get there the cheapest way (hitch-hiking, bus, train, etc.) in the shortest time. He and two other friends are a team. They're excited!
Anyhow, no pressure of course or whatever. But if you'd like to help a kid out, here's the link:
https://race2.org.uk/j-desarro-raynal

Hope that's not in bad taste after I "besmirched" y'all! (BTW, I'm avoiding work like crazy today. Though I'm ready for Sunday, so just visits to do this afternoon.)

Danimal said...

going to make OMDL and GFG part of my lexicon

Donna - does your boy attend St. Andrews U? If so, he really needs to take up golf (and/or become a caddie!)

Donna said...

OMDL is my thing. Wonder if I could patent it 😀
Josiah goes to W&M and St. Andrews actually. He’s in this joint degree program where he does 2 years at each. He’s doing 1st/4th at W&M and 2/3 at StA. There are about 35 of them in his class from WM. The program only has six majors —he’s history. This is his second year (1st in StA). He loves it!
Does not play golf. Yet. We’ve said he should at least try it. They have ways for kids to play the Old Course even, but I think you have to have a low handicap.

mr kq said...

The son of a rugby buddy of mine recently did the same program - WM/St Andrews. Played on Uni rugby team (as well as WM). Had the time of his life.

zman said...

I think I already talked about shaving vs. waxing my hog.

Deion Sanders may be a 55-year-old man missing two toes, but he's still Deion Sanders. If he called me out of the blue and asked me to help him do yardwork or clean his gutters or play Tiddlywinks, anything really, I would be all over it. Now imagine being an 18-year-old high school defensive back and Deion calls you and says "I would like to teach you how to play cornerback for the next two to four years, however long you want." You can't compete with that from a recruiting perspective.

Whitney said...

Deion was already an FSU standout when I got to college, but in the 80’s sports coverage was a tiny fraction of what it is now. So I knew little to nothing about Prime Time. Palmer, one of Rob’s suitemates and a hallmark and chum of Dave, Donna, Hightower, and mine, was from Pensacola and made sure we tuned into every possible FSU game to witness the superstar wizardry of the man then called Neon Deion. (Which he hates.) It was fan-tastic.

That was also the fall I started to notice a college RB who kept scoring 2, 3, 4 touchdowns every game and dominating. Some kid named Barry Sanders. I noticed this by reading the box scores in the local sports section. (Shout-out to the local sports section: OBXDave.) Different times.

Whitney said...

*hallmate. Thanks for nothin’ autocorrect

rob said...

peyton hillis out of the hospital. that's awesome news.

rob said...

tcu just annihilating kansas in the phog. nuts.

Whitney said...

It’s like TCU had some chip on their shoulder about some recent athletic contest or something

Professor G. Truck said...

this post makes me feel good about my mental health. i'm not annoyed by any of this stuff (aside from the shaved meat thing-- which has never happened to me, but it sounds really annoying. of course, i don't really do the grocery shopping because i'm incompetent)

Whitney said...

So is it that Professor Truck added the G and is eventually morphing into Professor Grease Truck, or is it that Greasetruck is vanishing like the actual Rutgers greasetrucks and hiding the Grease adding the Professor?

rob said...

chiefs +8.5 seemed like a pretty good number, and i promised myself a new pair of kicks if i get my gambling bankroll over $700, so i bet $100 on kansas city. this mahomes news has me nonplussed.

Mark said...

This is an all time gut it out performance by Mahomes. He can barely move. He’s living off Toradol and adrenaline. Tough to see him playing next week.

Mark said...

Jacksonville really pissed a massive opportunity away. Hobbled Mahomes, KC not close to their best. Offense has been mediocre at best. Lawrence missed far too many throws.

rob said...

daddy's not getting a new pair of shoes.

Mark said...

11:15 pm EST- my house is BUZZING with 10/11 year old girls sleeping over for my daughter’s birthday. Gonna be a LONG night for your boy.

Marls said...

Hola Gheorghies!

Mark said...

Just negotiated a fight (a very stupid fight) between my daughter and her best friend (both were in tears). Sleepovers are great. Hi Gheorghies.

Whitney said...

You’re a good man, Mark. I’m down the coast a bit in Delray visiting my Dad. Flying home this morning. One of these times I will incorporate a mini summit.

Mark said...

That’s a must, Whit. I’ll happily make the trip to Delray. A very underrated spot.

I bought my daughter and her friends nerf gel blasters. They are early this morning and planning to lay waste to the neighborhood boys.

Marls said...

I like to think that when Mark negotiated the fight, that he was negotiating the terms of the fight.

This match is scheduled for 2 falls, no holds barred, loser leaves town.

OBX dave said...

Rob, had you inquired, I would have told you that No. 1 seeds with winning percentage over 80 in divisional games cover the spread less than 25 pct of time. Plus, Mahomes was 15-21-1 ATS when favored by at least 7 pts (now 15-22-1).

And to Mark's point, yep, Lawrence missed some throws and Jags squandered some opportunities.