Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Add 2 More to the List

You all recall the music documentary quest I embarked upon last year in the nadir of lockdown. I need to go back and examine where I finished. Well, not finished, as it's a living endeavor. Where I stand, rather.

The list of rockumentaries was long but distinguished. So last night I was in a solitary state of Empty-Nester Lester and decided to check back into the world of music+film. And despite there being many entries on the original list that I have yet to take in, check this out: there are a pair of new additions to the mix. To quote Rock Master Scott and the Dynamic Three, here's something fresh

First, I watched a film currently on Netflix called Count Me In. It's a piece on drummers and drumming through the years. Exclusively as told by rock drummers themselves. There's no trailer I can find, oddly (unless you click the link above and log into Netflix), so this synopsis will have to do:

Count Me In is an exhilarating celebration of the art of rock drumming, featuring some of the best drummers ever to have graced the drumkit. From Roger Taylor (Queen), Chad Smith (Red Hot Chili Peppers), Stewart Copeland (The Police), Cindy Blackman (Santana, Lenny Kravitz), Keith Moon (The Who), Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) and John Bonham (Led Zeppelin), we are taken on a uplifting journey through some of the most iconic music ever created, focusing on the women and men with the sticks, their passions, culture and awe-inspiring energy.
There are way more interviewed drummers than what's listed above, and tons of clips through the years. Why they wouldn't make more noise about the fact that the Human Drum Machine Topper Headon of The Clash offers his thoughts therein is just crazy...

Second, I watched a film currently on Amazon Prime called Under the Volcano. It's about the music studio George Martin (the George Martin) created on the island of Montserrat in the late 1970's. The lineup of artists who recorded there in the waning time before natural disasters struck was . . . well . . . long but distinguished. Excellent old footage and new interviews. It's the second music documentary I've watched about a particular recording studio, and the second one done well.

I'll continue to plow through the extensive catalog of the music docs that caught my eye. Stay tuned.

If any of you have watched these or any other amidst the genre, chime in with recommendations or reviews. I am loath even to think about the notion of another lockdown at this point, but after the wedding we were slated to attend in New Orleans right after JazzFest weekend -- an event that had stayed the course even after the Fest was cancelled a couple of weeks ago -- just got nixed, there's a tad more angst and dread in the air.

I guess that calls for a punk rock documentary next.

20 comments:

Juan Carlos said...

The Decline of Western Civilization Part II clip

rootsminer said...

The list of things I want to watch keeps getting longer, and progress is slow. Hopefully these reviews are consistently tagged so I can revisit them when I have time.

Whitney said...

JC, it's on my list for sure!

zman said...

I think Juan Carlos secretly wishes he was in a failed glam rock hair band. For the hair, the clothes, the stories, all of it.

Juan Carlos said...

In my late teens, I lived vicariously through my my guitar instructor Frank, who was also my mom's garbage man for a brief time. He was the backup guitarist for a glam metal band called Steel Heart that achieved some success with their eponymous first album. You might recognize the singer's voice as that of Mark Whalberg's character in the movie "Rock Star". Frank and the band tasted fame very briefly - their debut was one year before Nirvana released Nevermind.

Another good doc from a band of that era is "Anvil! The Story of Anvil"

zman said...

Did Frank ever introduce you to the lady in the video?

Dave said...

i love Anvil!

wedding?

Juan Carlos said...

Zman - Alas, no. That video is filled with so many of the genre's cliches. It's perfect.

rob said...

marls, did you get any flamin hot mountain dew before their website crashed?

rootsminer said...

I crashed the website to spare Marls. He's got a family.

Dave said...

i like the new kanye west album

TR said...

I just signed up to be a judge at a chili cookoff my town is having as part of its Chili & Beer Fest in October. More fecal content (literally and literaturely)!

Dave said...

that's an event that should be held outdoors! in a breezy location . . .

TR said...

It is! It's the Community Park, a stone's throw from where we are temporarily living. Shaping up to be a high-carb Saturday.

rootsminer said...

I hope all the Gheorgies in the northeast fared ok in Ida's biblical rains.

TR said...

Late on this, but my recent doc watching has been of the non-music variety:

1) 100 Ft Wave (HBO): I'm partial to surfing as a topic, especially big wave surfing, but I loved this. Garrett McNamara (the lead) is a bad, bad man.

2) Val (Amazon Prime): a really interesting look at the life of Val Kilmer, who has used a personal camcorder to record his life since he was a kid. It's a really interesting watch and worth ~100 minutes of your time.

3) Cocaine Cowboys (Netflix): not finished with this one yet, but who doesn't love a story about Miami coke kingpins in the 80's?

rob said...

i’m two episodes in on 100 foot wave. really well done. mcnamara is an incredible character, but there’s so much more going on in terms of team dynamic and preparation to pull off ridiculous feats of athletic insanity.

OBX dave said...

Concur on '100 Foot Wave.' Great series. McNamara is indeed wired differently. And Rob is correct about team dynamics and prep, which will become more evident as series plays out.

Juan Carlos said...

Almost started Val last night. I can't explain why I was interested. 100 Foot Wave was great, as was Cocaine Cowboys, although the characters were too likeable. People living that life are probably not very nice.

zman said...

Is that like a 90 mile water wall?