Thursday, August 19, 2021

Notify, Volume III

Here goes with Volume III of Notify, aka not on Spotify. (See Volume I and Volume II.)

A two-fer from a covers album from the 1990's. It was called Kiss My Ass: Classic KISS Regrooved, and it had plenty of filler. (Extreme's soiling of my favorite KISS song "Strutter" should be burned at the stake.) But Toad the Wet Sprocket, of all bands, had a terrifically deconstructive take on the band's most popular song.

Garth Brooks is a well-publicized Spotify holdout, and while there are great original songs in his catalogue that I could include here, I'll go with his Evan Lloyd-approved cover of "Hard Luck Woman." Here's Garth and KISS playing the song live -- crappy quality video, but you get the gist of two great tastes that go great together. Pretty cool.

Speaking of Evan, he sure did love his KIϟϟ. He would tell a story circa '91 about when he bedded a W&M co-ed we knew but had a few seconds of coitus interruptus when he had to get up to flip the KISS Destroyer LP on the turntable. Did so, and apparently didn't miss a beat. Alas, she was not named Beth.

Back to the songs... this spring rob and I exchanged our top picks for one of our favorite bands from our youth, The Police. Here's my list, in order. (I can't find his.)


Most of The Police catalogue has been Spotified... but there are some fun outliers worth Notifying. First, before there was The Police there was some low-level act called Strontium 90. They had an LP's worth of material, one track of which you'll recognize.

Before Sting and Stewart Copeland added Andy Summers to the mix, they recorded a single and B-side. "Fall Out" was the lead track and featured Copeland on drums and guitars, save a solo by some dude named Henry Padovani. Most preferred it to the more menacing B-side.  I did not. Here's a link to "Fall Out," and below is "Nothing Achieving." This is far more punk rock.


After The Police got big, Copeland would mess about and play most or all of the instruments on some songs, usually with inanely silly content. He operated under the moniker Klark Kent.  "Away from Home" was a fun tune, but below is my favorite track, "Don't Care," with a video featuring Sting, Andy Summers, and Stewart's brother Miles Copeland (founder of I.R.S Records) masked and pretending to play instruments.

Stewart Copeland comes off like a super talented and cool dude.

Enjoy, and post more random stuff you can't find on the major music sites.

28 comments:

Juan Carlos said...

I remember seeing a Police documentary where Copeland describes the bands first minor hit, which he wrote and sang(?).

rob said...

juan, you ever watch a police documentary?

and whit, when did you meet copeland?

Marls said...

Chris Chandler and Sean Astin in a basement with Stewart Copeland. The internet will never cease to amaze.

zman said...

MF DOOM’s original version of “Kookies” is on Notify.

https://youtu.be/Ci_XcL4nYos

rob said...

paul stanley and gene simmons were answers to questions at bar trivia last night. we got them correct. the lord works in mysterious ways.

Whitney said...

I met him in 2014. He was in town for a performance of the silent film Ben Hur from 1925 that he re-scored. Bored, rich people.

Whitney said...

Saw Wilco in Richmond last night. I got to my 20th show of theirs after all.

rootsminer said...

I've participated in a live score of a silent film a couple of times. We had an outline for the 1922 version of Nosferatu (basically Bram Stoker's Dracula with the names changed). We had worked it out to a much shorter cut of the film than the Criterion Collection version they used for the performance. A bit of nervy improvising that night, but it came off well.

Marls said...

Jug band Dracula!

rootsminer said...

Bloodsucker Jug Band?

This was more drone music, though I did do some banjo music to accompany the journey through the Carpathian mountains. Eventually we switched to electric instruments and I was tasked with 'playing drums', or hitting a floor tom with a mallet and shaking some other percussion implements.

Whitney said...

In Maine, gheorghies!

TR said...

Did they run into Vigo the Carpathian in the movie?

Marls said...

Found out about Vigo, the master of evil
Try to battle my boys? That's not legal…

rob said...

i've had pretty good luck betting on fanduel's odds boosts. they offered one for the first round of the northern trust open today, giving 2-1 odds on jordan speith breaking par. he's played the course really well over his career. so i jumped on it. and he shot a one-over 72. sonofa...

rob said...

last thursday i took a knock playing men's league soccer that left my ribs sore on the left side of my body for a few days. last night i took a knock playing men's league soccer that left my ribs sore on the right side of my body. 0 out of 5, do not recommend.

Whitney said...

Knock, knock

Marls said...

Who’s there?

zman said...

Smog.

rootsminer said...

Smog who?

Mark said...

Good morning from Chicago. Got here yesterday afternoon and managed two fantastic meals (Mediterranean and Vietnamese), untold number of drinks and found a bar/old school arcade. Pretty successful first day and the weather continues to be gorgeous today.

rob said...

hell of a punch line

rootsminer said...

No kidding. I'm just waiting for the big payoff.

zman said...

The Smog who recorded “Knock Knock.” You missed the punchline.

Whitney said...

I was hoping for a play on words with Rob’s ribs and rubs, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Mark, enjoy Chicago. Great time of year to be there. As it is here in Maine. I’ve had lobster 4 out of 4 meals thus far.

rootsminer said...

Ahh, just a week ago I was knuckles deep in my second lobster of the night.

rootsminer said...

Also, I’m gutted that I missed zman’s esoteric musical reference.

mr kq said...

This is the content I’m here for. Or have returned for. Apologies for being away. Life n shit. Cheers

Whitney said...

I’m not sure that I realized Tom T. Hall was still alive until yesterday, but RIP to a songwriter extraordinaire.