Friday, April 17, 2020

Sample This

In these times of quarantine, stay-at-home, lockdown, house arrest, or whatever you're calling this downtime from the world, it sure helps to have a hobby.

(Clarification: it helps to have an indoor hobby. Dave is going berserk not being able to run around and play sports. Check out his madness at Gheorghe's sister blog.)

I have two activities of choice lately, and they're closely related.  Listening to / watching music and writing / making music.  The latter is a long-standing work in progress; I've threatened to complete an album in the home studio for a while, and -- with inspiration from Dave and FOGTB Lecky -- this is my chance to get there, or at least get close.

In the meantime, while people I know and articles I read advise me on which series to binge watch, I am going against that grain. With certain exceptions (John Oliver, reruns of classic sports events I loved, etc.), I am limiting my programming to one genre: music documentaries. I'm off to a great start, but there's a long way to go.

Step 1: Compile the list.
There are more search returns for "best music documentaries of all time" than you can count -- by a long shot.  And those lists are, as you would figure, a mixed bag.  I made my own list based on culling those recommendations, falling back on my own knowledge of good music docs, and also just pursuing work about bands I like.

My list is now set, but only until someone else whose opinion I value (yes, that includes you people) chimes in with a new rec and I add it.

Step 2: Prioritize.
Eh. I have been a little haphazard. I am trying to juggle 'twixt genres and long form vs. quick hitters to some degree. But so far it's been somewhat random. One x-factor is how I can watch them; if a music documentary is on Netflix or Amazon Prime, I don't know how long I'll be able to see it for free, so it inches up the list.

Step 3: Watch.
This has been fun. It's interesting to watch music docs in succession. It definitely makes the terrific ones stand out, and I catch myself critiquing any time there are any sorts of lulls that drag. You get why some film critics are irascible and stingy with stars; a movie I happen to like may be just fine, but when some reviewer saw three things this week that absolutely blew them away, the one I like simply ain't gonna measure up.

I've also noticed that Hobby 1 bleeds into Hobby 2. Watching scenes about the recording process, studio tips and tricks, or just hearing a good song gets the creativity brewing.

Current Status
Here's where this project stands. First, there were entries on the list that I had seen semi-recently, and even the best ones aren't getting re-watched when I have so much more to view. They included:

I told you how much I liked the Dead doc (saw it in a local old theater), and similarly, the Tom Petty one is a long but great 4-hour number.  We've also had back and forth in the comments on Country Music; it's amazingly good. And I'm an easy mark for The Clash, R.E.M., and Talking Heads, so those were all banner. But anything I watched in the last 2 years won't be revisited.

Nota Bene: Stop Making Sense is one of the few concert films that made this list.  I really wanted true documentaries, not footage of music being played. Of course I love a good show, but this quest is different. I think only Aretha, Prince, and Zeppelin made the list with predominantly concert films.

The First Batch (in order of viewing)
David Crosby: Remember My Name (2019)
The one that launched my plan, it's been on HBO a bit. It's solid, informative, and well done. The takeaway: Crosby is a dick, he knows it, he can't help it, and he wishes he could change. But man, can he sing. Great old footage and photos of CSN and CSNY.

Searching for Sugar Man (2012)
The best thing I have seen in a very long time, period. Someone urged me to watch this years ago, and I put it off. Stupidly. Don't read about this one, please just go watch it.

ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band from Texas (2019)
After that, I wanted to veer in another direction. This worked just fine. I forgot how good ZZ Top was in the '70s and early '80s. Lots of big, blues-based guitar sound. And lyrical dick jokes. Highly enjoyable.

Sample This (2013)
An oddity that would be the strangest of the lot, were it not for Sugar Man. Cohesion and production values aren't as high, but it does not want for a more fascinating story. My interest stemmed from my favorite Beasties song, "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun," which samples, among many other pieces, a 1973 song called "Last Bongo in Belgium" by a random outfit called the Incredible Bongo Band. On that same album is the IBB's take on the song "Apache," and their rendition has been sampled... wait for it... 613 times since. (Ed. Note: it read 611 when I started writing this post. No bullshit.) It's been said that pretty much every hip-hop act has sampled this particular song at least once. Anywho... the backstory, the legacy, and whole thing makes for a super interesting homeboys bonanza for music nerds like me. Check it out.

Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage (2010)
Yep, I wanted to get involved in this debate. Great film. I'm never going to love that much of Rush's music, but I certainly appreciate the band more, and like TR offered, there are quite a few nuggets of Did You Know??? And "Tom Sawyer" is still a lot of fun. Neil Peart's passing earlier this year makes it more impactful, and it's just a well-developed chronology of an influential trio who's been making music longer than anyone not named ZZ Top.

Fleetwood Mac -- Rumours ("Classic Albums” series) (1997)

I figured this would be light fare, and in some aspects, it is. It's just over an hour long, and it's simply what went into one hit album. While it offends any punk rock sensibilities I have, I like Fleetwood Mac and this album quite a bit, so I gave it a whirl. Most of the intrigue involves the dynamics at play among the band members when it was recorded -- basically two intra-band couples were splitting and Mick Fleetwood, the odd man out, was being left by his wife. And yet they came together and made a record that sold a bazillion copies.

That story is told a bit like a soap opera, but it's interesting. More appealing to me is the behind-the-recording stuff. A number of scenes at the mixing board with the engineers and a couple dozen tracks for any given song, and they deconstruct it accordingly. You won't hear a song the same way after it's been broken down like that -- for the better. It also inspires studio fun. "Gold Dust Woman" has tracks of harpsichord, dobro, and other instruments layered into the mix.  And in the scene Lindsey Buckingham describes "Second Hand News," he plays a track from it that's... chair.  A pleather chair in the studio, repurposed as a percussion instrument. Gets you thinking in your own studio.

* * * * *

Okay... so far, so good.  Here's what's left on my long list. You can look up any titles that aren't self-evident. I have seen a number of these before, anywhere from 4 or 5 to 25 or 30 years ago. Long ago enough that it will feel like the first time, to quote a band whose documentary (if it exists) I likely won't be watching.

What do you think?  It beats watching mindless shows about Floridiots with tigers.



49 comments:

Marls said...

I saw the Anvil movie in the theater back in NYC. Good stuff.

zman said...

I thought step 2 was "put your junk in that box"?

zman said...

I enjoyed "Of Mics and Men" but it's multiple episodes so it might not fit your criteria. "Hip-Hop Evolution" is amazing but it's at least 18 hours at this point.

Dave said...

i love hip hop evolution. not sure i'm totally caught up.

anvil! is spine tap for real. required viewing. i will try to check some of these out, and I'm hoping to finish recording a track today (first I've got to kick my wife out of my studio-- she's teaching decimals down there right now).

Dave said...

"some kind of monster" also excellent.

can you make a top-five list? this is too many things . . .

TR said...

This is a great list. I have continued to rewatch 30 for 30s w/ my kids. We watched The Two Escobars and the Harding/Kerrigan one y/day.

I liked (but didn’t love) the Metallica doc. The album that resulted from that period is not good. That band is best when James is drunk and controlling everything.

The Skynrd doc was fantastic, even though I don’t put that band high on any list. But the story of that part of the US and 70’s rock and roll I always great.

The Tribe doc is also amazing. I think Rappaport made it.

Not sure if it made your list, but there is a doc on the legendary Muscle Shoals recording studio that I saw a few years ago. It was great.

Whitney said...

Yes, TR! Muscle Shoals is going on the list.

I saw a Skynyrd doc a few years back. Can't remember which one it was. I'm sure I'll know 5 mins in.

Whitney said...

And Dave, I will try to pare down this sea of watchable into must-see. Or I'll keep reviewing them periodically as I wade through them, and you guys can chime in with any affirmations of recommended docs.

TR said...

One more recording studio doc recommendation - Sound City. Grohl made it in 2013 to tell the story of that LA-area recording studio where many legendary rock albums were made, including Nevermind. It gets a little mystical, but is another great story about the history of rock.

rob said...

big easy express is a mess of a movie, but it's got some great live scenes and some really fun late-night drunked/stoned jams.

Mr KQ said...

This is awesome and just what I need. Sugarman up first. Been struggling since finishing Peaky Blinders. Did watch a few of Britain's Underworld, loved the Glasgow, Manchester, and Liverpool episodes.

Received a package from WhitneyClause yesterday. A very cool "now playing" LP stand. Shall break it in this eve with a tasty beer from The Veil. Cheers mate.

rootsminer said...

On the recording front, there's one called "Tom Dowd and the Language of Music" that's very good. "Shut Up, Little Man" was entertaining, though it's about recording cantankerous neighbors, not music.

I started a doc about Peter Green (founder of Fleetwood Mac) on amazon last night. That cat was a hell of a player. First 30 minutes was good, then my son came up and asked me to watch an ep. of The Simpsons. I couldn't say no, so we watched Homer trip balls after eating some of Chief Wiggum's insanity peppers at the chili cook off.

Whitney said...

Great comments, all.

TR, Sound City is on the list up there -- I had seen snippets and definitely want to watch the whole thing. That's on the short list of upcoming viewings.

Thanks, gheorghies.

Dave said...

zman with the comment of the quarantine on sentence of dave today!

will detail it tomorrow if you missed it . . .

i am headed to a birthday parade for a 50-year-old colleague. times are weird.

T.J. said...

GTB fam, tomorrow, 4:20pm ET, editorial meeting two:

TJ Doyle is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: GTB Editoral Board Meeting 2: Electric Boogaloo
Time: Apr 18, 2020 04:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3782555190

Meeting ID: 378 255 5190
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,3782555190# US (Chicago)
+19292056099,,3782555190# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US
+1 301 715 8592 US
Meeting ID: 378 255 5190
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kAmt9AKy7

zman said...

Today zdaughter told me "This is my first pandemic."

Marls said...

She is probably not wrong.

OBX dave said...

Hey Whit, apologies if you mentioned this and I breezed past, but did you ever see Dave Grohl's HBO series, Sonic Highways? Not a doc, but he hits different cities and explores their music histories each episode. Tunes, footage, interviews. Some episodes better than others, but overall, much fun.

rob said...

got a little out of control in the abc store this afternoon, financially speaking. not sorry.

Whitney said...

Thanks, DF. Will check it out!

And zero offense to Zman, but DP, don’t be too quick to shelve Lecky’s barb from 2 days ago on Sentences of Dave 2 days ago. I’m still chuckling.

OBX dave said...

Whit, I think that you and the D.C./Nova crew would particularly enjoy Grohl's D.C. episode. His hometown, obviously, and mentions of 9:30 Club, Go-Go, punk and metal scenes.

zman said...

Lecky’s comment was better than mine, hands down.

Mark said...

The Tribe doc is tremendous. And a bit sad. I’m not much of a ZZ Top fan but that was a damn good doc. Muscle Shoals is next for me. Thanks for the reminder.

Sound City and Sonic Highways are probably next. It’s a music documentary but not in the traditional sense, The Defiant Ones. It is absolutely with your time.

Mark said...

On the project/music tip, I spent nearly two hours today repairing my pair of Technics 1200s. They’re now back and just about fully operational (have a headphones issue to troubleshoot tomorrow). Mixed some good records tonight and showed my kid how to drop a needle and do some rudimentary mixing. Time well spent.

T.J. said...

I look forward to tomorrow’s editorial call...should hopefully occur before the LIBERATE revolution. Looking for an open beach report from Mark and Danimal.

TR said...

Topic #1 for the call: Is Dr. Birx the GILF that America needs today?

I’ve had a couple drinks.

Mark said...

If I was you I’d go with DILF (Doctor). But I haven’t had a couple drinks.

I’ve had a few.

Mark said...

Is “G” for Grandma? Because...

TR said...

Roadhouse just started on AXS. Terry Funk’s best work.

Dave said...

you don't get comment of the year by insulting dave.

zman said...

I think I actually did get comment of the year by insulting you, I don't track my stats but I know I've won COTY and most of my comments insult you.

rob said...

we've been watching a bunch of standup comedy during the time of the the corona. can highly recommend hasan minhaj's 2017 special, 'the homecoming king'. poignant, sharp, and very funny. his show, 'patriot act' (both are on netflix) is really good, too.

just started the second season of 'sunderland 'til i die', as well. imagine if the team your gritty shipbuilding northeastern city lived and died with was relegated from the premier league to the championship and then to league one in consecutive seasons and then was purchased by rich fops from the south of england. and they filmed it.

Whitney said...

Will check out Hasan Minahj. We should definitely assemble and post our collective favorites from stand-up. Comics, albums, bits. Rob, you’re on it.

Heard this on XM the other day. Starts slowly but made me laugh in parts.
https://youtu.be/THr_amXT6rE

And I linked to a bit earlier because of Brian Dennehy, but if you haven’t spent time listening to Patton Oswalt’a genius album from over a decade ago Werewolves and Lollipops, you’re depriving yourself.

TR said...

Patton Oswalt’s bit about accidentally walking into an orgy when looking at houses is one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Not sure if that is on that special.

If you like your comedy filthy, Tom Segura is great. He has a couple specials on Netflix.

Just watched the Beavis and Butthead movie with my kids. Wife was unimpressed with me. Again.

Dave said...

Dig! is a great music doc.

patriot act is my son's favorite show-- Hasan minhaj is the bomb, can't wait until he does his pandemic stuff

zman said...

His episode about Supreme is great. Some others less so, I’m just not interested in cricket for example.

zman said...

Similarly, I’m not that interested in redneck hijinks but I’m soldiering through Tiger King just for purposes of cultural literacy. It’s like a real life Judd Apatow movie. So many awkward tragic weirdos.

rob said...

who's responsible for the 4/20 content?

Unknown said...

Postcount's a bit down in April after 3 humdinger months

T.J. said...

I'll see you all in less than an hour

Shlara said...

Dave Grohl's blog post about jamming with Prince

https://medium.com/@davestruestories/how-about-next-friday-9100e3bcf823

Mark said...

I’m also watching Sunderland Til I Die. Rob may have spoiled some things for me.

rob said...

on the one hand, shit. my bad. on the other, it’s a matter of public record, so, y’know.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

We got takeout from a new Vietnamese place my wife works with. I had a Vietnamese aunt growing up so I’m a discerning critic. This shit was amazing. Double fries wings in fish sauce, duck curry stew, glazed pork banh mi. I’m stuffed and I want more.

Mark said...

It’s fine, Rob. It’s not like you spoiled the end of Breaking Bad a day after the finale.

TR said...

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was on Starz. So so so good. I think it’s my second favorite Tarantino movie, after True Romance. I don’t care if Tony Scott directed it, it’s his story.

TR said...

Birx on Face the Nation. Scarf game on point, as always.

Unknown said...

TR, I liked Once Upon a Time in Hollywood quite a bit, but I wanted to love it as much it as you did. I do appreciate what Tarantino is doing with certain chapters of history.