Thursday, August 05, 2021

Gheorghasbord: Bargain Bin

Running a pipe cleaner through the mind tunnels so we can get the good stuff unstuck.

I shed an involuntary tear a couple of days ago when I saw this Tweet:


If the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique was the soundtrack of my sophomore year of college, Mickey's was the libation. Dave, Whitney and I would gingerly step over the discarded 'loobsters' (upon removal, the tops of Mickey's bottles resembled little metal crustaceans, and could cut a fella's feet just as easily), plop down on the couch, open three more bottles, and fire up the six-disc CD changer. The demise of that iconic brand was cause for lamentation of time gone by, the inevitable inexorable march to our own final malt liquor buzz.

As it turns out, my tears were misplaced, as @DanShuftan clarified in his next Tweet:


Not cool, Dan.

In much better news of the cheap, I've stumbled upon a site that's going to both cost and save me a lot of money fueling a habit. DHgate is essentially Chinese eBay, a cornucopia of consumer goods, only at prices significantly below those available for comparable goods here in capitalism's, um, capital. I got turned onto it by the good people at SiriusXM FC during a discussion about places to find cut-rate soccer jerseys.

I own an increasing number of such jerseys, from the Dutch national team 2014 World Cup top, to a DC United Pride pregame warmup, to a Sporting Kansas City kit my brother in-law got me a few years back, among others. But these things ain't cheap - even a replica jersey goes for close to $100 at the major outfitters. So imagine my glee when I went looking for an N'golo Kante France kit on DHgate and found one that looked decent (at least online) for $18. At that price, even if it showed up made of paper machè it wouldn't be much of a loss.

But when it showed up, it was damn near perfect, with the Euro 2020 patches in the right place and seemingly authentic Nike fabric. And so I grabbed Marcus Rashford England Euros top for the same price. 


I might have a problem.

Speaking of problems, and of athlete merch that I need to buy (preferably on the cheap), the artist formerly known as the Knighthawk has become that much more badass. After a well-reviewed first season in the NBA, Nathan Knight signed a two-way deal with Minnesota this week. 

We're in the market for Knightwolf stuff. Danimal, JMU's Matt Lewis just signed with Minnesota, as well. We'll look out for deals for you, too.

And finally, this isn't directly on point, but when you hit a tough three-pointer with a million dollars on the line, you get some run here. With his Boeheim's Army team trailing 67-66 to Team 23 and a target score of 69 meaning that his opponent could win The Basketball Tournament with any basket, Keifer Sykes took advantage of his defender's momentary distraction to hit a pull-up three worth a cool mil.


Sykes, who played at the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, announced after the game that he'd signed a deal with the Indiana Pacers. Pretty decent day.

13 comments:

rootsminer said...

Phew.I'd be crushed if the budget malt liquor I last drank almost 30 years ago was no longer available.

rob said...

right?

TR said...

There are about a dozen 40-something women on my flight to Boston who are going to a New Kids concert at Fenway. I know this b/c many have home-made shirts saying things like “Boston Bound for NKOTB”. They have found each other and are all quite excited, talking about seats.

rob said...

please keep us updated on your seat choice strategy and whether you get to talk to a 40-something nkotb fan all the way from denver to logan.

rootsminer said...

TR is hanging tough with the New Cougars on the Block.

TR said...

Cougar is far too polite a word. None of the women seem to have rings on.

As for seat strategy, I asked the gate agent how full the flight was. She said 100% full. So I went with an aisle seat up front, just to get my ass off the plane quickly. A woman slid into the window seat shortly after me. And then it was a nervous waiting game as I watched folks board. Any large person would trigger a "no no no" inside my head, while any petite or attractive woman would trigger the opposite reaction. I lucked out with a smaller than average lady next to me. Good times.

I picked the 4th row seat b/c two of the NKOTB ladies chose a first row seat and I wanted to be out of earshot. Last I heard, they were talking about opening acts on the tour, which may or may not incude Bell Biv Devoe and Naughty by Nature? One of these women has an NKOTB shirt, an NKOTB mask and an NKOTB "Virtual Cruise 2020" sweatshirt.

I'm pretty sure "virtual cruise" is not a thing.

rootsminer said...

Do the virtual cruise - we'll send you a swab to infect yourself with COVID. It'll be great!

zman said...

Lots to unpack here.

rob, the reason that merch is available "at prices significantly below those available for comparable goods here" is because it's all bootleg stuff. You're probably inducing trademark infringement with every purchase, I eagerly await your subpoena in an ITC action.

I panicked for a second until I realized Miller High Life Light is getting the axe. I didn't even know they had a light version.

When TR said "while any petite or attractive woman would trigger the opposite reaction" I thought about how "petite" and "attractive" might be mutually exclusive to some people, and I don't know how to reconcile any of that with his "Any large person would trigger a 'no no no' inside my head" assertion given what I know.

My French class took a trip to France my senior year. I had the middle seat on the flight home between a girl who negged me rather crushingly a few weeks previously and a tremendously fat guy who could not help physically spilling into my personal space and would not stop talking to me about beer and how much I will love college because the women are all nymphomaniacs. It was quite the juxtaposition. And when I tried to move away from the fat guy I moved towards the girl who didn't want me in her personal space so I had to lean in, so to speak.

zman said...

Lean in to the fat guy. I'm not Andrew Cuomo.

rob said...

i prefer to believe that it’s wholesale pricing, z

TR said...

Petite and attractive were absolutely mutually exclusive. You always want a small person in that middle seat. If it's a tiny adult man, that's okay too. And if it ends up being an attractive lady, well that's not the worst consequence.

TR said...

And I have to concur with Zman's thoughts on the jersey, Rob. A few years ago, my younger son was a bandwagon Broncos fan for a year. He wanted a throwback Elway jersey for Xmas. I found a website on-line that had what he wanted in kid sizes. After ordering, I realized it was from China. The jersey took forever to arrive, and when it did, it looked really shabby. Luckily, my dopey kid didn't notice.

rob said...

pour some out for james rodney richard, one of the baddest men on the planet for a brief, shining moment, and then one of the saddest stories in sports.