Wednesday, June 02, 2021

Notify, Volume I

That's pronounced "NOT-ify"...

I love Spotify.  I was slow to jump in on it, since I had (have) a hard drive with 36,000+ songs on it that I have collected, compiled, bought, beg, borrowed, and maybe even stolen across three decades. After a while, since I didn't possess the technology to access my HD anywhere on the globe, I could no longer deny the convenience that Spotify offers. It's pretty cool.

For a while, certain musical artists held out from the platform for purist or purely pecuniary reasons. And in truth, a lot of them weren't being selfish; it's well known that Spotify pays artists exactly jack diddley. Such is life as a rock and roller in the 21st century. Ask Rootsy, Les Coole, and Greasetruck.

Anyway, Spotify certainly does the trick for me, and these days, by now mostly everyone and everything is up there.  Mostly.

Some of my favorite stuff isn't there. Cool stuff I'd love to put on a playlist and expose to music fiends and friends everywhere. I don't just mean live stuff, there are cool studio tracks and one-off moments that should be shared.  So here I go with Volume I of Notify.

Brian Wilson sings "Brian Wilson"... I love this.

Still my favorite mash-up of all time...

A random one. When I was 15, someone gave my dad UB40's Little Baggariddim EP on cassette for his 40th birthday. UB40, get it? Hilarious. Anyway, he never bothered with it and I scooped it up.
The hit was the cover of "I Got You Babe" with Chrissie Hynde. I quickly skipped past that for a mini-treasure trove with "Don't Break My Heart," "Hip Hop Lyrical Robot," the super great/green "Mi Spliff," and a new and improved version of one of their early hits, "One in Ten." You can't find this version anywhere except on this EP, and I dig it the most.

Camper van Beethoven / David Lowery had a bone to pick with Spotify, and a $43 million lawsuit settlement caught some attention. A bit of Camper's stuff is still missing from Spotify, including most of Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart and Key Lime Pie. 

Here's the latter. You've heard their cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men," but again, I'd skip over it most of the time. Check out the three song mega-tandem of "When I Win the Lottery," "(I Was Born in a) Laundromat,", and "Borderline." 


Enjoy, and post more random stuff you can't find on the major music sites.

14 comments:

zman said...

This is brilliant. My favorite Notify track is this version of Gin House Blues by Nina Simone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpGSOSGTvPk

Also available on Notify is the original version of I'm That Type of N**** by the Pharcyde which slaps orders of magnitude harder than the Spotify version (I assume there's a copyright issue with the sample):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksx3-NqC-mo

Whitney said...

Excellent, Zman, that stuff should slide onto Volume II...

rootsminer said...

I too have been paying for a streaming subscription for many months now. I opted for apple music, as I understand they pay a slightly fairer rate than spotify. It has given me the ability (a quarter century late, but still...) to finally dig into my homework assignment for Professor Z's hip-hop appreciation class. I finished up my first run through Boogie Down Productions catalog last week. I'm glad I finally came around to it, but I wonder what the hell young rootsy's problem was.

Shlara said...

Zman's wedding recap is exactly what I needed to read today. thank you.

and, which one of your sneakerheads can help me figure out where to buy a pair of size 5 Wes Unseld Converse Star Player Ox retro shoes?

rob said...

https://www.spartoo.net/Converse-STAR-PLAYER-OX-x3616254.php?track_id=adwo_fgl&sx=H&utm_source=froogle-US&utm_medium=comparateurs&utm_content=3616254&utm_campaign=adwo_fgl&size_id=10&fcsize=1&country_id=223&ggnetwork=g&ggcreative=56311140452&ggkeyword=&ggmatchtype=&ggsource=s&mkwid=_dc&plid=&ggcamp=655368174&ggproduct_partition_id=21342873483&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ6ODdYSYNWRO9b3SZtWuzgso-cBE9n2QPzSC8i9M5PQEgSyveOWoyAaAq-jEALw_wcB

rob said...

or: https://rb.gy/ncbiec

TR said...

I still am partial to Apple Music. I have the family plan, which allows my two sons to download all the inappropriate hip-hop they want.

De La Soul has been the big shortfall on that service. Me, Myself and I would like that to change.

TR said...

Luka is at 40/12/7 after 3 qtrs. That was my justification for one more small pour of brown liquor tonight.

Danimal said...

Another rec needed....a place to buy vinyl online?

zman said...

https://www.turntablelab.com/

Squeaky said...

Avoid popmarket.com. You can buy their 'exclusive' bundles on Amazon for far less, 95% of the time.

For run of the mill stuff https://thesoundofvinyl.us is decent.

Danimal said...

Thank you friends.

rob said...

let's goooooooo america

TR said...

I’m 100% fine with the Lakers being eliminated. Would be nice to see some fresh blood in the Finals.