Saturday, February 20, 2021

Yasss Kouign

Rafael Alves is a featherweight MMA fighter. When he weighed in this afternoon in advance of his scheduled bout tomorrow with Patrick Sabatini, he needed to come in at 146 pounds. To paraphrase the great Bob Uecker, he was juuuuust a bit overweight. 11.5 pounds overweight, to be precise. Alves weighed in at 157.5 pounds.

For the record, I would've made weight.

Alves blamed bad salmon for making him ill and compromising his pre-bout routine. I think that's a bunch of nonsense. 

The actual culprit, as it will be when I fail to make my next fight, is kouign amman.

In the town where I live, there's a bakery named Dolce & Ciabatta. Clever, no? My wife loves it. Most weekends, she gets up early and heads there to pick up pastries and a good cuppa. And most weekends, I don't partake.

But two weekends ago, she brought home one of these beauties.

That's a kouign-amman pastry. In the Breton language (local to Brittany, where the pastry was originated), it means "butter cake". It's made by layering impossibly thin layers of crossaint-like pastry and butter and topping the dough with enough sugar to create a shiny, crackling crust of caramel. 

The bites of the outside of the pastry are sweet and crunchy, with the caramelized sugar picking up just enough butter in a rich melange. The inside of the kouign amman is *almost* savory, reversing the sugar/butter mix in favor of the latter. 

The whole experience is enough to make a strong man exclaim with each bite. Me, too. Done well, it's an amazing culinary experience. 

And Dolce & Ciabatta does it well.

Like Rafael Alves, I'll be moving up a weight class soon.

15 comments:

TR said...

Gonna go out on a limb and guess this is not low-carb.

rootsminer said...

This is cruel Rob.

rob said...

don’t watch a ton of hockey, but kinda excited for the outdoor games this weekend from tahoe. scenery looks incredible.

Whitney said...

Tomorrow's game time was changed by an hour due to weather. (Too much sunshine.) Love it.

rob said...

on the one hand, i got a bet down on everton +600 and the toffees just beat liverpool for the first time in 11 years. on the other, it was a $10 bet, because i'm a recreational gambler. all in all, a good start to the gambling weekend.

Mark said...

I taunted TR on Twitter about the weather yesterday. It was 82 here.

It’s now in the 60s here but it’s sunny and beautiful. I say it all the time but I don’t know how you people live in the Northeast.

TR said...

Well it's 32 and sunny here, so it feels like 42. So I got that going for me.

Dave said...

we appreciate the good weather more (if we don't kill our families shining-style during the winter madness months)

time to put on my gloves and pry the dogshit loose from the snow in our yard! i like to keep the view pristine . . .

zman said...

As I watched one of my neighbors ford into my curb's waist-deep snowbank to retrieve her dog's turd I reaffirmed my decision to borrow, but not own, dogs.

rootsminer said...

Z you have just given me a bolt of inspiration. My wife is never going to get a dog. New next door neighbors have a 18 month old boy and a cool ass labradoodle named Leroy.Either I’ll break my vow and bring home a dog, or make arrangements to borrow Leroy when the neighbors leave town.

TR said...

My dog love that these days. I walk him and he absolutely loves walking in the deep snow, especially when it has a partial crust on top and he occasionally falls in a bit. But when he takes a crap 10 ft into a yard and I have to trudge in w/ my Sanuk slippers to get the turd, it's a real bummer.

On a similar note, we have gotten lazy during the bad weather and let our dog into our fenced-in backyard when nature calls. There must be 20 turds scattered below/amid/atop snow. Can't wait for mid-March, when the snow will be gone.

Mark said...

I’ll be surfing by mid March (I own a wetsuit but I’m not nearly passionate enough about surfing to deal with the cold). Again, you people are better than me. Fuck all the extra shit you have to deal with living up north.

I just killed 45 minutes riding my skateboard around my neighborhood. All of y’all are welcome to visit me here by the beach in Florida. TJ can tell you how nice it is this time of year.

rob said...

your boy cashed a three-team teaser (villanova -2.5, illinois -0.5, purdue -3.5) to finish the day up over a hundy. gonna rest on my laurels for a minute.

rob said...

watched nomadland tonight. still processing. frances mcdormand is remarkable. the story is stark and layered. the landscape is a character unto itself. recommend.

rootsminer said...

This is an interesting piece about the late great John Hartford's notebooks. A shame he didn't live long enough to fill one more notebook.