Thursday, February 04, 2021

My Boys are Filthy, Filthy Animals

As most of you know, I have two sons. They are boys, so they are gross. They are getting better in some ways (helping with chores), but also getting worse in other ways (puberty-related body odor). 

We did an extensive home renovation almost three years ago. One component was turning our downstairs half-bath into a full bathroom. We have one downstairs bedroom, so converting the bathroom makes sense for folks who want to have a nanny/parent sleep in that bedroom and have their own shower. Unfortunately, we were pressed for space. We were able to get it done, but it required a tight shower space. My wife decided on sliding glass doors into the shower, located right next to our toilet. And that's where the trouble started. Because the glass doors are where the urine splatters land. 

Our sliding glass doors look like Jackson Pollock paintings, if Jackson Pollock painted with pee pee. The pic above shows it. Thankfully for all, it doesn't show up that great in pics. Maybe it would show up better if I put more effort in, but nobody needs that sorta effort on this sorta project. 

Like most of us, I have done the occasional middle-of-the-night pee where you start letting it go, and then hear a sound that sounds totally incorrect because you're peeing against a wall, onto the tile floor, into the garbage can, or some combination thereof. So I'm not preaching from a place of elite urethral acuity. But this is something different. It's like my kids swing their dorks around like sprinklers when they are whizzing. 

This whole scene is bad and embarrassing. I think my boys make splatters every time they go. I bark at them. I make them clean it up with wipes. But I can't keep up with it. It's our only first-floor bathroom, so everybody in the family uses it multiple times a day. We have housecleaners that come every few weeks, and I can't just leave it that long and have them deal with it. In fact, I feel bad about leaving that for them at all, so I give a couple cursory wipes before they come. When I remember. Which is sometimes. 


I wanted to capture the injustice of this issue to make a point to my kids. I took photos, and I took out a tape measure to measure splatter distance. I felt like the forensic investigator from The Staircase. Thankfully for you all, the photos don't capture the grossness of what is an otherwise lovely washroom. But the tape measure provides scale. The pic above shows the closest possible splatter one can leave. It is 10" from the inside edge of the latrine. So that's the CLOSEST a splatter can be. But it gets worse. Much worse. Look at the picture below. I measured the FARTHEST splatter mark. It is a whopping 23.5" from the edge. And to make it worse, it is almost behind where you should stand. It's about 135 degrees off. How does that even happen? 


I don't know what to make of all of this. I'm afraid to check right now, even though the cleaning ladies were here y/day. I'm sure there's grossness there. Sigh.

36 comments:

zman said...

zson does the same thing. He just runs into the bathroom, whipping out his junk in the way there. He then pisses at the toilet. At, not in. Luckily our toilets open automatically, otherwise he’d pee on the lid. He pees on the side, on the tank, and all over the walls and floor around the toilet.

Whitney said...

Automatically opening toilets? Durn, boy, you is fancy.

Mark said...

I was a lot of gross things as a young boy. I was not a sprinkler pisser. I guess this is the upside of not having any boys. Believe me though, plenty of downsides on both ends. I can already see my 9 year old (who adores me) slowly distancing herself from me based on being the opposite sex. Can’t say I’m not bummed.

Related: Organized basketball is shut down around here due to the pandemic so she asked to play baseball. First practice today. We’ve been doing a lot of work in the yard so she acquitted herself well at her first ever baseball practice.

I’m an assistant coach. My flirtation with the Mendoza line throughout my youth immediately disqualified me from Head Coach candidacy.

rob said...

i can confidently say the phrase "elite urethral acuity" has never been used here before. and i can reasonably certainly say it's never been used in the history of the planet.

rob said...

knighthawk goes for 5 points on 2-3 shooting in 4 minutes tonight. strong to quite strong.

Mark said...

It’s. Freddie Gibbs kind of morning in my house. That motherfucker can rap his ass off.

rootsminer said...

We have one boy who makes a similar mess, and we were recently able to identify him as the culprit because his brother confessed to sitting down to pee so he wouldn't make a mess. I was tempted to shit talk him for it, but refrained.

Danimal said...

that's some serious misdirection there from the boys tr, but girls can be pretty gross too. on occasion still, at the ages of 8 & 10, we get the occasional brown trout left in the bowl. girls! i feel we've failed as parents.

on a completely different topic, i failed to check in during my travels last week which brought me to houston & austin - my first meaty road trip since the vid. highlight was eating lunch at salt lick bbq, the original, outside of austin. was very pleased to learn it abuts what i think will be a new client come fall of this year. what a place - the brisket was perfect. the best i've ever had.

rob said...

what super bowl wagers and prop bets do we like, gheorghies? i think the chieves are going to win and lots of points will be scored, so i'm looking at some of fan duel's alternate spread and o/u parlays. talk to me.

zman said...

What's the o/u on Mahomes's passing yardage?

Mark said...

Salt Lick is fantastic. Get a beef rib at Terry Black’s the next trip to Austin.

I’m still working my way through some wagers. Some Bucs stuff I like:

Chris Godwin overs on receptions and yardage. Same for Gronk.

And sprinkle some of JPP and Shaq Barrett as extreme long shot MVP odds. If Tampa wins they’ll have effectively pressured Mahomes and those two will be the reason.

T.J. said...

Terry Black's is the best BBQ I've ever had

Whitney said...

Rickie Fowler, what you’re doing with the golf this weekend... I’m not seeing it.

TR said...

Am sitting in my car from 4-5 while my kid takes a paddle tennis clinic at our pool club. Tured dial to Phish radio and found out a guy I know is serving as the guest DJ for an hour. He’s killing it with his choices and I am pushing the envelope of appropriate parent behavior while sitting in a car next to a paddle tennis court.

TR said...

I have never eaten any Austin BBQ. Need to fix that.

Have not looked at props yet. Last year, I took the over on # of people to throw a fwd pass. Line was 2.5. I want to bet that again and redeem myself.

rootsminer said...

If you're listening to Phish in a parking lot, you may as well hit the pen. Everyone thinks you are already anyhow.

rob said...

suck it, dobbs

zman said...

Is Brady the DJ on the Phish station?

rob said...

golf bets don't pay if your guy misses the cut by 3, right? i'm kinda new to all this.

rob said...

it's early in the evening to go down a bill hader breaking on snl skits rabbit hole, but it's a good ab workout nonetheless

Mark said...

Bull Hader is the best. Not sure if you watch Barry, Rob. If not, you should.

I have many Austin BBQ recommendations. Many other culinary recommendations other than BBQ for Austin as well that I’m happy to share.

rob said...

austin was the last place i went before america locked down. i was sitting in a hotel bar watching rudy gobert smear his shit on the microphones right before everything paused. i eagerly await the opportunity to go back.

Dave said...

this is amazing and i need to show it to my wife . . . this is the bane of her existence

TR said...

Just got my square for a decently big $$ pool I am in. Hard to get excited about 2/6.

T.J. said...

You were assigned 2/6 on 2/6. Maybe it was means big things for tomorrow.

T.J. said...

On a sort of related note, I downloaded the FanDuel app to get in on some of this internet gambling I’ve heard so much about.

Mark said...

I had an extended conversation with my 9 year old daughter last night about gambling. And the end of it she asked if I would place a bet for her tomorrow. I eagerly agreed. I may have another degenerate in my house. Giddyup!

TR said...

Nice, Mark. And from your lips to God's ear, Teej.

I think I will let each of my kids make $10 in wagers for the SB. I need to explain props to them. Important stuff.

zman said...

Who got da props?

Mark said...

10 years ago I was in Vegas for the Super Bowl and my bachelor party. I made an absurd amount of prop bets and came out a pretty big winner. Haven’t been able to resist splashing some money on lots of props ever since. Tomorrow will be no different.

And now Zman makes me want listen to Black Moon.

Mark said...

Nate Oats is channeling Wimp Sanderson today.

zman said...

Don't you always want to listen to Black Moon though?

Mark said...

I do listen to Boot Camp Click on a regular basis. A little reminder never hurts though.

rob said...

had auburn -3.5 this afternoon. they led almost the entire way, up double digits for a lot of the second half. blew the lead, then lost the game in overtime. i'm so bad at this.

rootsminer said...

I’m glad I have other vices, one of which I indulged in today while deconstructing a piano after accidentally knocking it over backwards. It’s fate was already clear, but that little snafu made it suddenly a project for today. 80 year old giant flathead screws are not very cooperative.

TR said...

I’ll be the a-hole who says it. Calvin Johnson is not a first-ballot Hall of Famer. He had a few seasons of good stats and was physically impressive, but he only played 9 years. And his team was rarely relevant.