Thursday, February 18, 2021

Forget Oreos, Eat Cool J Cookies

Last week, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced the latest batch of nominees. A slew of new picks, only one (1) holdover from the 2020 nominees, and only one selection that has been nominated more than twice.

That selection is LL Cool J. Ladies. Love. Cool. James.

It's time.  Hip-hop has slowly started to be embraced by the whitey whites in white town at the Hall. RandB is still working its way into prominence, and Afrobeat? Well... 

Could this be LL's year? As you know, I'm biased, as he was my vintage in rap music. He couldn't live without his radio, he was bad, he rocked the bells, he took down Moe Dee, and he knocked you out because Mama said to. And then he joined NCIS.

Vote for him on the Fan Vote here. Come on, man.


The 2021 nominees are:

  • Carole King
  • Chaka Khan
  • Devo
  • Dionne Warwick
  • Fela Kuti
  • Foo Fighters
  • Iron Maiden
  • JAY-Z
  • Kate Bush
  • LL Cool J
  • Mary J. Blige
  • New York Dolls
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • The Go-Go’s
  • Tina Turner
  • Todd Rundgren

And here's my annual take:


Fela Kuti, Afrobeat pioneer, is currently leading the Fan Vote!!  That there is interesting.



My wish list has LL, Devo, The Go-Go's, Rage, Chaka Khan, Kate Bush, and maybe Iron Maiden just so (the real) Bruce Dickinson can tell the Hall to sod off. In a cooler way than Johnny Rotten did.

Oh, and for sleeper pick? Todd Rundgren.  You know who also thinks so?


20 comments:

TR said...

I entered this on the last post, but worth repeating: Keith Gill just said "I am not a cat" to the House Committee on Financial Services. That is some meta humor from Roaring Kitty. This hearing today is absolute nonsense.

zman said...

How is Tina Turner not already in?

rob said...

if it's true that ted cruz went to cancun while texas was in the middle of the colossal shitshow they're experiencing, well...it won't matter, but it's in character for a dude who couldn't care less about the people he allegedly 'serves'.

TR said...

Tina Turner's Better Be Good to Me would be a karaoke banger in the right hands.

Maybe Cruz is singing that at Senor Frog's right now.

rob said...

your tribe return to action this evening after a long covid-related hiatus. 1.5-point dogs at elon. the phoenix aren't very good, but who knows what the tribe will look like after a long break.

zman said...

Can we call him Ted "You Wan Go Booz?" Cruz from now on?

Whitney said...

Tina Turner got in as part of "Ike and Tina Turner" in 1991.

rootsminer said...

I might do Private Dancer the next time I do karaoke.

Mark said...

Private Dancer is one of my Karaoke go tos. I killed it at my in laws house after Xmas dinner last year.

Whitney said...

Tribe game postponed. Covid?

rob said...

weather, according to the tribe hoops tweet machine

TR said...

When I fled the pandemic with my family last May, I somehow did something w/ the postal service web site where I signed up to get a daily email of the mail I will receive later that day. Every time I see, I think "this is the lamest email I will get all day," but I can't help but open it every time. I am met w/ images of CVS fliers, furniture catalogs, health care bills and mortgage solicitations. I feel like this is a bad use of technology, and of my time.

Whitney said...

Afternoon, everybody

Danimal said...

Afternoon Whit.
I shut it down at noon today. Heading to Amelia Island for a couple of nights with the missus and other couples. This will be the first such get away for the two of us in probably a blue moon and the first real fun and freedom for yours since pre covid. It's a pseudo post COVID 50th for a couple of us guys. The weather sucks but I couldn't be more giddy.

zman said...

Danimal, you should go to the Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance in May and blog about it. You should bring me too.

Dave said...

fela kuti and all that soukous guitar stuff is really fun. king ade, etc. there's a bunch fo good stuff on the rough guide: African guitar legends. it's on Spotify . . .

Danimal said...

You're right Z....have considered it in past but has always conflicted with other stuff. Damn kids. Will look at dates...maybe that can happen!

TR said...

If my math is correct, the 6" of snow we got y/day and today brings us to a total of 40" of snow in the last 19 days.

I love my 12" of Snow CD (h/t to Zman's 90's dance hall recommendations), but I have nothing good to say about 40" of white shit. That's over a metre, goddammit.

Only solace is the forecast. Sorta. We have a couple days of mid/high 30's and sun, followed by a consistent stretch in the 40's, albeit with cloud and rain. A licky boom boom down.

zman said...

12” of Snow holds up. Yeah I said it.

rob said...

ya no say daddy me snow me i go blame