Thursday, March 01, 2007

500 is a pretty big number...but then again I'm easily impressed

I guess it might not be too hard to imagine, given the amount of YouTube clips and random, short Drudge-stolen posts we've (OK, mainly me) done in the past, but you are actually reading Gheorghe: The Blog's 500th post right now. And really, what better way to say "We've given you 500 quality posts" than compiling the best of GTB, pasted below in no particular order. My raging hangover is actually making this much harder than you would think:

I would be remiss if I didn't begin at the beginning, as some donkey once said. And that means our mission statement. God bless Rob for starting this, and then letting me take the reins. It makes days like this a whole lot better.

I have actually "met" Gheorghe, and boy, was it awkward (reading that post, you would think I never took an English class in my life).

GTB is indeed a clearinghouse of nonsense, and these two recaps of my fantastic trips to the MCI (née Verizon) Center certainly fit in that category. Gheorghe writes the songs the whole world sings.

Sometimes Whit or Rob pop in, when not working at Misery Loves Company, and actually give you the loyal reader (Hi Mark!) quality content.

As the Madness approaches, it's always appropriate to have an intelligent Billy Packer debate, GTB-style of course.

YouTube is the greatest thing to hit the interweb since some funny dude known only as the Boston Sports Guy was discovered.

Jerry and Geoff (the Wheelhouse fellas) have gotten very frustrated with me in the past. But "news" articles like this need to be mentioned... it's my civic duty.

A lot has happened over the last 4 years for the men of Gheorghe... our boy Dennis just had a baby boy on Sunday, I got married not too long ago, Whitney has transitioned from the easiest job known to man to a nightmare gig (all at the same place) and Rob has somehow gotten shorter.

I have a well-documented (and unhealthy) obsession with super murderer O.J. Simspon.

The Washington Nationals came to town, and it has been a welcome reprieve to visit RFK instead of trekking to the STD capital of the world, Baltimore.

Hell, the Wizards have even gotten good since GTB began.

Rob got the sports moment of his life in 2004, at the expense of my beloved Yankees. Tough tough times.

We first learned of the joy that is Deadspin sometime in 2005, and eventually Will was even kind enough to link to us. We created a mini-controversey with this Sloth/Chris Shelton post, which apparently was a physical comparison many on the eBays were making.

Recently, the Washington Post made the excellent move to bump Mr. Tony in favor of the DC Sports Bog, which is required morning reading for sure, and father-to-be Dan over there has treated the boys of GTB kindly as we crusade for VCU in this year's march to the madness.

I have been hungover countless times trying to post things, and I think this pic perfectly sums up how I feel on those days (and today for that matter). And yes, that big goofy guy is indeed me.

GTB's buddies on the right-hand side of this page have grown over time, but Drunk and Stupid and the Wheelhouse and MLC have been here since the beginning. As has Michael Jack's utterly useless Hot Action.

Jim Rome, 1st Team Anti-Gheorghe.

All right, time to do 10 minutes or so of real work. Perhaps Rob and Whit will tack a few more favorites onto this list before the day is done. Frankly, I'm shocked we didn't make this list (I am 100% joking by the way...the guys on this list are fantastic).

25 comments:

T.J. said...

A story like this is exactly what GTB looks for.

Mark said...

I wouldn't call me a loyal reader as much as a lazy guy who uses GTB to avoid actual work. It's a case of semantics, I guess.

T.J. said...

I heard Greg got a nasty case of the semantics last weekend.

Jerry said...

As you said, he's collecting them all...

T.J. said...

Whit, you are losing this bet if these two guys are indeed back for the last 3 games of the 10 game set:

Coach Eddie Jordan says Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison practiced today and will start tomorrow night.

Sizzle said...

Congrats on the big 5-0-0. I thoroughly enjoyed the recap...that is, all except the Jim Rome bashing.

Signed, Clone Mike

T.J. said...

Christ, first Jerry, now you? Rack me, I'm out...

Mark said...

Does Jerry like Jim Rome? Please tell me this isn't true.

T.J. said...

Jerry's words:

"I like Rome. He's very funny in small doses."

Mark said...

Wow. I don't even know how to properly react to that news. I think my feelings are hurt.

Really? Jim Rome?

T.J. said...

Uh oh, sounds like we might have an angry Joey Porter on the loose, which can't be good:

After two weeks of internal debate, the Pittsburgh Steelers decided to cut ties with one of their most recognized players -- linebacker Joey Porter.

Mark said...

I'd rather see an angry Joey Porter than an angry Joey Porter's dog. Joey Porter never killed a horse...

rob said...

the motherfucking tribe is down 11 in the 2nd half to a georgia state team they drilled twice this season.

mother.

fucker.

Mark said...

Isn't this what all of you predicted?

T.J. said...

The fucking Tribe couldn't even win the 8/9 game...bunch of god damn chumps.

rob said...

mark - don't try to confuse us with logic.

T.J. said...

All right, the return of Jamison and Butler (barely) got the Wiz a win, which means I've earned at least a push. Two to play for the free lunch.

@Philadelphia - WIN
Minnesota - WIN
Sacramento - WIN
@Chicago - LOSS
@Minnesota - LOSS
@New Jersey - LOSS
Miami - LOSS
Atlanta - WIN
Golden State
Toronto

T.J. said...

Oh yeah, college hoops picks...

Whit was a solid if unspectacular 5-3 last week, meaning GTB jumped from 15-17 to 33-23 over the last three weeks. I of course am the reason we were in the 15-17 hole. In Rob's only week of picking games he went 7-1. Week 8 picks below:

Ohio State at Michigan
Ohio St.

Texas at Kansas
Kansas.

USC at Washington State
Wazzu.

Pitt at Marquette
Pitt.

Arizona at Stanford
Stanford.

New Mexico State at Nevada
Nevada.

Kentucky at Florida
Florida.

Duke at North Carolina
Carolina.

T.J. said...

All right, 4-2 ain't miserable...and look who wants to make a little run in the CAA tourney, everyone's 2006 darling George Mason.

T.J. said...

Absolutely ridiculous ending to the Wizards game...and that Wiz win got me a free lunch from Whit.

Don Nelson might kill one of the referees this evening.

rob said...

does anyone want to win the acc regular season title? i'm fairly convinced that uva, tech, and boston college are all counterfeit and that maryland might be the best team in the league.

T.J. said...

Based on the last three weeks, Maryland IS the best team in the league.

As for the CAA, even if Drexel loses this game to VCU they have to be happy with Creighton winning the MVC title. VCU needs to win this tourney, because I'm pretty sure a loss today or tomorrow means Drexel and ODU are going to the Dance, despite VCU's regular season title.

T.J. said...

Props to MASN, which is currently showing the Siena/Marist game...and in CAA news, George Mason is fucking crushing ODU right now.

rob said...

mason beating vcu tomorrow is the caa's nightmare scenario. i *think* odu's in, but it's far from certain. drexel's a coin flip - they need cuse and nova to make deep runs in the big east tourney.

remember, though, at this time last year mason was coming off a caa semifinal loss and had to sweat out selection sunday. odu's in the same boat - i'm not picking the monarchs to the final four, just saying.

T.J. said...

Let's also remember that PackerNantz is the most powerful douchebag tandem going, as Billy was already trying to subtly dismiss mid-major schools as Duke/Carolina wrapped up today.

Both my local favs, Siena and Albany, are in their respective conference finals (MAAC and Am East).