Sunday, December 29, 2019

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Ten

On the Tenth Day of Gheorghemas,
Big Gheorghe gave to me:

Ten Years of Dipshits
Nine (six, really) goats goatating
Eight Autographs Showing How Sad My Childhood Was
Seven Books for Reading
Six Vinyl Discs
Five golden (Cream Yellow, really) cylinders for Squeaky
Four players playing
Three Nutty Squirrels
Two Chilean bangers (literally)
And a British lass slingin’ hot meat

When I started to write this post, I was operating under the belief that 2019 marked the tenth anniversary of Gheorghemas, arguably our most inspired, and indubitably our most resilient feature. As with most things I/we do around here, closer inspection revealed that assumption to be slightly off.

In fact, the very first Gheorghemas post was released to the waiting world on December 2, 2008. In typical G:TB style, it referenced a previous event that didn't exist, as TJ wrote, "Today, in our 1,000th post, we return to our annual tradition, bringing the world the Twelve Days of Gheorghe-mas." (To be fair-ish, the Teej did post an abbreviated Twelve Days of Christmas from Gheorghe all the way back in 2005. Future scholars will debate whether this is canon. I submit that it is not.)

This month does, however, mark a milestone Gheorghemas-related anniversary, which will salvage this post idea just in the nick of time. On December 28, 2009, we posted the very first The Year in G:TB post. And so, in honor of ten years of talking about the past year, here are the most iconic G:TB posts of the decade-plus, in more or less chronological order (we can vote on the top three all-time in the comments. Or not, more likely):

2009

We interviewed LeBron James. I still shake my head about the fact that this happened.

Whitney published Gheorghe: the Yearbook. Good goofy LoLs here.

The Teej went to the Indiana State Fair. All-timer.

Zman wrote a shitload of words about the Bills and Browns, and it wasn't the last time.

2010

We got published in The Atlantic. I'd completely forgotten that this happened.

Polyps, man.

Summer Dave 2010 was prolific in a way Rest of the Decade Dave never matched.

2011

We launched #3bids4caa. The rest is history.

Mark used to do excellent NBA Draft previews.

The very first episode of zJurisprudence featured the seminal Urbont v. Ghostface case.

Shlara reminded us that she's a badass.

2012

G:TB MET GHEORGHE!

KQ and Shlara explained "that's the reason I'm a Bullets fan".

Doofus Wedding!

Dave, his dog, two garbage cans, and three lesbians.

2013

I miss my grandparents.

The Teej got a buttpat from Bobby Valentine. A robust one, too.

2014

The greatest mid-major hoops road story ever told. Come for the buddy adventure, stay for the very first comment, courtesy of Danimal.

Ms. Green goes to Washington. This one's a keeper.

Mark wrote about his Dad. Another keeper. Way to go, 2014!

2015

In Marcus we Trusted.

The greatest hoops game I've ever seen live happened. My man Marls was there, too.

I jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. Midlife crisis? Me?

We debuted The Chronicles of an Aging Gheorghie to much popular acclaim.

2016

We achieved the G:TB Singularity.

Arnold Palmer, George H.W. Bush, and Danimal. True story.

Brian Posehn sells weed to 3rd graders. An actual LOL.

2017

Eh, couldn't really find one in 2017 I thought was worthy. Kinda ran out of steam, if I'm being honest.

2018

We shoulda bought Mike's Paul Newman.

I followed through after decades of threatening to get ink. Working on my second design as we speak.

2019

We're not including anything from 2019 because, well, you know. Gotta keep the fans waiting, if only a few more days.

Longtime readers will get this.

24 comments:

Marls said...

I’m just glad the polyps made it

TR said...

It’s my opus.

rob said...

the way rey says 'skywalker' with that posh english (rebel?) accent in the rise of skywalker makes me feel kinda funny, like when i'm climbing the rope in gym class.

rob said...

john lewis has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. karma's doing a pretty shitty job of things at the moment.

zman said...

That was not my first Jack Urbont post.

rob said...

poetic license, man

Whitney said...

Greetings from Sarasota. Where the food and drinks have been on overdrive since the 26th. 2020, the year I try to revisit seeing my junk without the help of a mirror.

Whitney said...

And this was one of my favorite recurring features of the last decade:

http://gheorghe77.blogspot.com/search/label/Ask%20a...?

Esp the Ask Matthew Clemmens post.

TR said...

Hi Gheorghies. Phish played from 815 until 1145. Raging rock and funk show that indulged my love of their 1990’s catalog.

T.J. said...

the last pic in this post, glorious

rob said...

after a non-con run that exceeded nearly all observers' expectations, your tribe open caa play this evening at elon. tribe are favored by six against a phoenix squad widely expected to finish in the league's bottom two. w&m's first three conference games are away from the 'burg, but the tribe have the most true road wins of any team in the nation thus far. (i think. it was true ten days ago and i haven't had the time or inclination to find an update.)

TR said...

Elon’s RPI is 349. I didn’t know there were that many D-1 colleges. Tribe better win.

rob said...

according to the ncaa's net ranking system (which is the new rpi, essentially), w&m is 136 and elon is 336 out of the 351 division one teams. yeah, we'd better not drop this one.

T.J. said...

My 2020 resolution is... to fight a Muppet

rob said...

that will definitely make the next decade's best of list.

Whitney said...

I’ll take Sam the Eagle over Teej by KO in the 4th

Whitney said...

Tribe tied at half vs Elon. Yup.

zman said...

I always thought DJT looks and speaks a bit like Sam the Eagle.

rob said...

tribe had 'em the whole way. unless you bet the tribe -6. in which case, the tribe never had 'em.

Mark said...

This Orange Bowl has been a little more stressful than I’d hoped for. Feeling a bit better after the second quarter.

Marls said...

What happened to the smiling orange guy logo for the orange bowl?

Mark said...

Forget about what I said about feeling better. Fuck.

TR said...

Whatever the perfect amount of drunk to watch Roadhouse is, I am that. So good.

Whitney said...

My basement is a self-pub. But best of luck with the book sales.