Saturday, June 26, 2021

That John Denver May Have Been on to Something

As the assembled Gheorghiage knows, my family just completed a week-long vacation to the Greater Denver area. I won't bore you with a lot of details, but it was a wonderful trip to a place 3/4 of our team had never been, and I've got some decent photos, so I'll bore you with a few.

The ostensible excuse for the trip was to visit the University of Colorado (which abbreviates as CU, an odd sort of thing), as my rising senior daughter is being dragged kicking and screaming into the college application process. We knocked out the visit on our first full morning in Boulder. It's a beautiful campus with incredible views of the Flatirons (more about which later), and one of the most insanely appointed student rec centers I've ever seen. My daughter actually paid attention and asked questions, which I took as a good sign.


Once we dispensed with the formal portion of our week, we spent the next few days in Boulder taking advantage of the scenery and the outdoor opportunities. We did a six-mile hike on the Boulder Canyon Trail, which parallels Boulder Creek. The creek's snow-cold water serves as a natural air conditioner for much of the hike. We also did a shorter but more challenging hike at Chautauqua Park, where we came around a corner and found ourselves hard up against the base of one of the Flatirons. 


These sandstone marvels jut from the land like misplaced shark teeth, and form the backdrop to much of Boulder's visuals. Both kids and I climbed the slab we found, to varying degrees of success. Youth, and everything. My wife mostly just covered her eyes.

All that outdoor activity worked up powerful appetites, and Boulder's food scene obliged. The Pearl Street Mall area is a pedestrian plaza with a bunch of good bars and restaurants. We had great dinners at Leaf (a cool vegetarian spot), Santo (a super-creative Mexican place founded by a Top Chef winner), and Avery Brewing, and filling breakfasts at Walnut Cafe and Snooze.

Checked off a bucket list item by catching a show at Red Rocks. That place is visually and aurally spectacular. We didn't know much about Umphrey's McGee, but they're thoroughly entertaining and a good match for the clouds of weed smoke floating about the amphitheater. 

That's one contented dude

We left Boulder after several days for the mountain town of Estes Park. Among other things, the town is known for the Stanley Hotel, the inspiration for the hotel in The Shining. It's also dead gorgeous, 7,500' above sea level and mountains in every direction. Had a brilliant meal at a joint called Bird and Jim, ate some killer Himalayan/Indian at Nepal's, and caught an award-winning singer-songwriter named Justin Faye while chilling in an outdoor beer garden in the town center. We also took the Estes Park Aerial Tramway (rolling on the same cables as when it was opened in 1955) up to 9,000 feet to catch some even better views.



While in Estes Park, kinda on a whim, we booked a half-day whitewater rafting trip on the Cache la Poudre river. I can't believe I waited this long to try that. It's a blast. Can't recommend it enough, though 45-degree water hitting one's skin on an 85-degree day takes some getting used to.


Kicked it in Denver for a night on our way out of town and got dinner with FOGT:B and Mile High native Cricket. We did a little fighting, normal in such close quarters for a week, but on balance, it was a lovely week together. I don't think my daughter will wind up at CU, but I sure wouldn't mind visiting her if she does. And I'm feeling a little bit jealous of my man TR.

12 comments:

Mark said...

I have two thoughts about this post. Rob is a good Dad. I try to follow his lead as a Dad. And Rob needs to start wearing some shorter shorts. Get hip, young man, and show some thigh.

In semi-related Dad stuff. We spent all day on the boat with friends and their people on their boats out on the intracoastal. Many children involved. And then our 19 year old went out of her way to meet up with us while she was out on a boat with her friends/boyfriend. It’s alright when you’re semi-grown children still want to hang out with you.

rob said...

those shorts are short on most folks, mark. hard to find shorties when you have a 28” inseam.

rootsminer said...

Got jeans? Just take an old pair and turn 'em into something more...refreshing.

zman said...

This was a great trip. Couldn't be any more different from my trip to visit UNC and Duke with my mother and stepfather.

I think rob wears long shorts because all the ladies would lose their minds if they saw his thighs.

rob said...

also made my first visit to a legal dispensary, which was a very pleasant experience.

Mark said...

Dispensaries are a beautiful thing. They deliver around here now so I don’t go to them anymore but walking behind those locked doors is a hell of an experience the first time it happens. As is the ride home when you have to remind yourself that you dont have to be sketched out with a ton of weed in your car anymore.

I never knew Z toured UNC and Duke. I applied to both out of high school. They politely declined.

rootsminer said...

Virginia is about to be a strange weed netherworld.

Mark- not sure what it takes to get you 'tuned up', but a ton is a lot.

Mark said...

I may have exaggerated with a ton but you’d be surprised what the monthly limit is on legal weed in Florida. I couldn’t hit the limit if tried my best.

TR said...

This post is great, Rob. I’m in the “what the hell did I get myself into” phase of packing. Good to be reminded of what’s at the end of the journey.

rootsminer said...

Any reports on the rave last night, or is it still happening?

rob said...

rave girl just got home. sounds like she had a good time.

Mark said...

Big Sunday around here.