Monday, June 21, 2021

It's Tick Season so Listen Up

The most difficult class I took in college was, without hesitation, General Entomology with Dr. Fashing.  Yes, one should expect a 400 level biology class to be hard, but I figured it's a class about bugs, how hard could it be?  I majored in biology so I was used to getting my lazy ass kicked, and friend of numerous GTBers Bekkah took Insects and Society with Dr. Fashing and raved about him and how low-stress the class was.  Insects and Society is a 100 level course designed for Art History majors to fulfill their Area I requirements so in hindsight this wasn't the best recommendation to follow.  

Dr. Fashing is a very nice guy and he's passionate about the subject matter, but the class was insane.  The lab component was 1/4 of the grade and it was entirely taxonomy.  He would start every lab with a quiz which involved him throwing 10-15 dead bugs on a table and he would ask you "What Order is this one?  What Family is this one?" and I would write down "bug" or "cricket" or "butterfly" which was never the right answer.  The lab required a project:  go out and collect (i.e., catch and kill) forty different Families of insect.  Not a mom and dad and sibling group of bugs, but a taxonomic Family.  That's really fucking hard.  Why you ask?  Well, they all look the same so you can spend three hours out in the field collecting fifty insects but when you get back to the lab and key them out you'll find you only have four different Families.  It was awful.

And it was bad socially.  I rare knew anyone in any of my biology classes, usually it was everyone's favorite ER doctor but he wouldn't take bugs with me.  Luckily Langdon from Sig was in there too so we would forage for bugs together.  Everyone was assigned a butterfly net and a killjar (a mason jar with some substance mothball-like glued to the bottom that smothers the bugs) so I would wait for Langdon on the back porch, then we would meet up and go to the woods or a field or whatever.  On one such occasion, erstwhile GTB contributor Dennis's girlfriend came flouncing by in a nightie with four or five of her similarly-attired fellow sorority pledges--they were off to perform some task which apparently called for "sleazy and demure."


Ever the gentleman, I said "Hello" and she replied, as sarcastically and sing-song as possible "Hey butterfly boy!" and all her trampy little friends giggled and tittered.  It's my experience at W&M in a nutshell.

We had to save all the dead bugs we collected and mount them on pins in a box and turn them in at the end of the year.  I didn't get to forty, all I ever had was a bunch of flies that mimicked other bugs to avoid being eaten--apparently this is their jam.  The rugby girl with the leg brace took pity on me at the end and gave me a weevil and some evil looking creature I don't remember the name of and that got me to maybe thirty-eight, which is more than half-way to sixty-nine but not enough to get full credit for the lab. 

It was also bad for rootsy because my box of dead bugs attracted live bugs--ants swarmed my collection which I kept on top of my wardrobe which was next to his face on the top of our cave.  So he awoke to a facefull of ants.  I, of course, was panicked--not for rooty's health but for the integrity of my box of bugs.  No one had bug spray so I stole spray starch from one of the ROTC guys and surprisingly that did the trick.  Between what the ants ate and the starch destroyed, I lost a few precious bugs for my project.

As you can see in the link to his bio above, Dr. Fashing's research centers primarily on mites which are arachnids, not insects.  We were only allowed one arachnid for the collection so everyone had one spider.  But we would've gotten credit for a tick, which is also an arachnid.  And also gross.  Here is without hesitation the most entertaining video I've ever seen about ticks.  You should watch it because it's tick season and you need to know what you're in for if you go out in the woods.  My friend got Lyme disease and now she's out from work on disability so it's serious business.  You should watch even if you have no plans to go outside this summer.  If not for yourself, watch it for Dr. Fashing, all his miserable bug-collecting students, and their ant-swarmed roommates.


And if you don't like that deer tick video, check out this Deer Tick video.



9 comments:

zman said...

SCOTUS affirmed the Ninth Circuit's ruling that allows schools to give their athletes more benefits. Not benefits like when Jesus Shuttlesworth visited Big State, but reimbursement for computers, free tutoring, internship stipends, stuff like that.

rob said...

zjurisprudence cliff's notes!

Juan Carlos said...

This was the first big back-to-normal weekend for me. I attended my daughter's H.S. graduation and three graduation parties, played in a father-son baseball game, watched my son win two of three games in his first summer baseball tournament, go out to dinner, and ate smoked beef ribs at a friend's house for Father's Day.

I also skinned my knee, got in an argument with my wife, drove over 100 miles, experienced heartburn twice, gained three pounds and felt exhausted this morning.

Is it ok to admit that I miss some aspects of the pandemic?

Dave said...

ticks! yuck. i couldn't finish the video. we are headed to maine next week, and apparently, it's tick season AND they have been invaded by poisonous caterpillars. i really enjoy winter.

rootsminer said...

I remember the bug board that sat by my pillow well. Less so the ant infestation.

My wife and oldest both have chronic lyme, her likely gifting it to him at birth. Fortunately we found an osteopath in the area who specializes is lyme. Herbal antibiotics do a pretty good job at tackling flare ups without the side effects of the heavy pharmabiotics.

rob said...

the ticks have been invaded by poisonous caterpillars? that sounds fascinating. take video.

rob said...

interesting gambling situation for the kid. i got the suns +2400 to win it all a few months ago. i wagered a whole $12, so the payout is $288. fan duel is offering $120 to cash out now - 10x my initial bet. i could a) let it ride because the suns very well could win it and we’re not talking all that much money, b) take the cash out and double down, betting $50 or so on the suns to win at +250, c) hedge the bet by betting on the kawhi-less clips to win the west at at least +185, or d) some other esoteric combination of wagers. what say you, gheorghies?

Whitney said...

Cue the Steve Miller Band

TR said...

I am very late on this, but this article is so very much the essence of Zman from the W&M era in one fell swoop. I remember him flailing away in the bushes behind Unit M while we all laughed at him.

I would rather have been butterfly boy than the guy who had to have an Army haircut and do Army things once a week.