Tuesday, June 15, 2021

On This Day

I suppose it's possible to celebrate every day for its place in history. Like the proverbial million monkeys banging away on a million typewriters, there have been enough days in enough places in our shared history for each one to be important. But today, as you'll see, is pretty damn important, historically.

For example, in 763 BC, an eclipse in Assyria served as the fixed date upon which Mesopotamian history was told, which obviously led to this:


And in 1215, King John signed the Magna Carta. Pretty fucking important, that.

In 1775, George Washington was appointed commander-in-chief of the Continental Army. I think we'd all agree that Big G played an important role in our history.

Phoebe Couzins became the first female graduate of an American law school on this date in 1871, and six years later, Henry Ossian Flipper became the first African-American graduate of West Point.

France surrendered to Nazi Germany in 1940. That was kind of a bummer.

UEFA was founded in Basel in 1954. Jury's still out on that one, though I'm enjoying their little tournament at the moment.

Bob Dylan recorded "Like a Rolling Stone" on June 15, 1965. 

And on this day in 1968, "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by Ohio Express hits number four on the U.S. charts. I assume it was played at my parents' wedding on the same day.


Update: My Mom posted this one on her Facebook feed. Look at these kids!


11 comments:

zman said...

Fifty-three years is a long time. Congratulations to all those involved.

rootsminer said...

If anyone has any questions about the back roads of the Nelson/Amherst/Rockbridge County area of Virginia, I think I drove about all of them over the past three days. I capped it by hiking up The Priest yesterday from the Tye River to carry some food and a gatorade up to friend hiking from the other direction. If you're scoring at home, gaining 3000 ft of elevation in 4 miles is a wee bit steep.

Whitney said...

I spent 9 summers of my youth in and around Rockbridge County at camp in Goshen, Va. God's country. Swimming and rafting in the Maury and Calfpasture Rivers, hiking up the peak known as Elliott Knob (Elevation 4,463 ft.), playing sports from dawn til dusk, and frolicking through the sunny days of summer. Great days indeed.

Later, when we turned 18 and were counselors, we'd drive to Lexington, get torn up at The Palms, and zip through Goshen Pass at unnecessarily unsafe speeds. Dumbs nights indeed.

Whitney said...

And speaking of hiking, my friend John reaches the summit of Kilimanjaro today if all goes well.

Donna said...

Such a small world —my husband grew up in Rockbridge County, Buffalo Creek area, and Goshen/Pass is one of his most fav places in the world. Before our lives got so busy, we’d camp out that way some. His brother owned a record shop for 15 years or so in downtown Lex until Walmart opened. And my parents anniversary was 1 day ago -57 years and counting! Hoping your friends do well on the mountains/hiking!

zman said...

We have a college-aged babysitter who watches/entertains zkids for a few hours a few days a week while we work from home. She never saw Raiders of the Lost Ark. I had to pull myself together after I heard that. She's watching it now with zkids. I assume all Gheorghians saw Raiders. If not go watch it.

rootsminer said...

You know I love you Z, but that is the kind of thing that would get me called a boomer by my kids.

I've finally realized the optimum use for my new three monitor setup. Euros on one screen. Regular work stuff on the other two. Pretty good.

rob said...

when i was 17, i took a corner too fast and blew out both passenger-side tires on my car. when my daughter was 19 (today), she hit a pothole in baltimore and blew out both front tires on my car. circle of life.

rootsminer said...

Must have been a hell of a pothole. I hope the tires were the extent of the damage.

When I was 15, and my uncle bill had taught me how to drive a manual on his nissan sentra, I went for a joyride in my dad’s 1978 911. A few months later when I was four days legal to drive the car, I ran out of talent in a curve that I thought my 15 year old self had handled expertly. Circle of young male irrational confidence.

Mark said...

What Kevin Durant is doing in this second half is spectacular. The ease with which he scores is breathtaking.

zman said...

Mother of all potholes.