Wednesday, September 02, 2020

The Logho

Jerry West is legendarily the model for the image that makes up the NBA's iconic logo. The Laker hall of famer is dribbling with the ball in his left hand, and while time and athletic evolution render his pose perhaps a bit stiff, the logo's still striking. And The Logo, the moniker bestowed on West for his place in the league's artistic history, is a phenomenal nickname, even as the humble West thinks it calls too much attention to him.

(As an aside born of laziness and self-interest, I seem to remember a discussion here or via email some years back about turning this picture of Ghitsa posterizing Hakeem Olajuwon into an NBA-style logo for use in G:TB merch. What ever happened to that? Someone get on it.)

Last year, the WNBA updated its logo and branding guidelines, going from a dated font and replacing the player image that sure as hell looked like Sue Bird to a more streamlined overall effect. The league freed the logo image from the box it was in and added a vivid orange color as primary, which sets it apart from the general trend towards flag drapery in American sports. For comparison's sake, here are the three logos the league has used since its inception in 1995.


Since the introduction of the new logo, speculation has run rampant about the inspiration for the image. The league itself has stated publicly that the logo isn't meant to represent any single player, but c'mon man.

WNBA players themselves have an ongoing debate and investigation, focused largely on the size and placement of the logoplayer's bun. The two primary suspects: Diana Taurasi and Elena Delle Donne.

Bullets Forever editor Albert Lee (who I think is a fellow member of the W&M tribe - the Tribe tribe, if you will) argues fairly convincingly for our girl EDD in this piece posted last year. Notwithstanding Isaiah Thomas and Jordan McRae's misplaced argument for Sue Bird, who doesn't wear a bun on the court.

Here's my case for Delle Donne - compare this with the logo:


Yeah, the bun's not visible in this shot, but EDD does wear one on court. Everything else is close enough for me to vote for our fave. 

And now you know.

Someone get on that Ghitsa logo thing. We got merch to move.

14 comments:

Danimal said...

Whit - we ditched HBO and others a couple of years ago b/c we became fed up with the ever-increasing monthly. But I think I need it back...didn't finish Curb or Veep, but love 'em both.
What TR said with Flight of Conchords...those guys know how to be funny.

Six Feet Under - as you might expect, it's a little dark. When it aired, it did so on Sunday nights during my single days. I'd often watch hungover at the end of a long wkd, and doing so would add to what I refer to as the "weirdos". The "Weirdos" come about after great weekends with friends and/or fam. They are at their worst when traveling home alone, by plane or car, on a Sunday as a tough workweek looms. They're just awful. Despite the added weirdo's the show added to the pile, I always felt I couldn't miss it.

Danimal said...

Another one I just remembered that I binged on a couple of transatlantic flights last year - Fleabag. Unique, dark comedy with a super attractive lead in Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Strong to very strong.

zman said...

I started working on that Gheorghe logo but I lack the skills and software needed.

Curb is funny. Seasons 1-2 of True Blood are good but the show gets really really dumb after that, although the gratuitous noodity continues.

Deadwood is great. So is The Leftovers and The Watchmen (Teaneck represent!).

rootsminer said...

Z - I probably have the software, but not sure about the skills. I like the new logo and will concur with Rob that it's EDD.

I have to be willing to tolerate an increase in my anxiety level to watch Curb. Sometimes I'll start one and have to bail.

rob said...

meant to schedule this for tomorrow. stupid new blogger.

Whitney said...

Tom Terrific Seaver has gone on to heaven, aka Shea Stadium immortalized.

rob said...

he always spoke fondly of his 16 starts with the red sox

Mark said...

That was an unsatisfactory end to an otherwise riveting playoff game.

zman said...

Danimal, if you like Fleabag you should watch Killing Eve. Waller-Bridge wrote Fleabag and season 1 of Killing Eve, and she continues to produce the show. In fact everyone should watch Killing Eve, it's good stuff.

TR said...

I drank 1.5 bottles of wine at a neighbor’s house and somehow avoided embarrassing myself and my wife.

TR said...

Russell Westbrook has been a 4Q abomination each of the last two nights. Daryl Morey, the NBA’s most overrated exec over the last five years, will surely get canned for this.

Danimal said...

tj quinn tweeted a couple of nice vignettes on seaver this morning, one of which includes my man warren spahn. (baseball is in my office whit)

Danimal said...

copy that on the killing eve z

Whitney said...

Love that, Danimal, and thanks for the recs, everybody