Monday, August 17, 2020

A House, a Home

In 1983, we moved out of the house and neighborhood I described a few posts ago and into the Ghent Square section of Norfolk. My mom, stepdad, little sister, and stepbro Ian, whom my Pi Lam fratres know.  It was a new house; they'd razed the old run down blocks and built all new construction for a handful of blocks. I was too young to understand gentrification and its many impacts. I just liked that my room was up on the third floor.

It's debatable whether it's a good idea to put teenage boys in their own little world up on a different floor. At least the smell stayed up there. 

I left that house in August of 1988 to live in Williamsburg with Dave, Rob, Hightower, and 26 other dudes I'd never met. One of the most fun years of my life. Beer Olympics, the Graffiti Wall, semi-regular copulation, random idiots, and Random Idiots.

I spent college summers in Goshen, VA, Cape Cod (2), and Williamsburg (2). I was pretty sure I was never living back in the Norfolk house again.

Graduation was a bit of a moving target for me. May '92 begat December '92 which begat May '93.  In the spring of 1993, I needed "just" one 3-credit A in order to get my degree. I orchestrated an independent study wherein I wrote a 50-page paper on the Chesapeake Bay and it problems as seen by two opposing entities, the EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers.  It was a worthy document; for once, a whole-assed effort.

Given the nature of my out-of-class schooling that final semester, I moved back in with my mom. She was fresh into her second divorce and yet to meet the real love of her life a year later. Life there was... challenging.  

I was also working for my dad in Virginia Beach. He'd recently parted ways with his commercial real estate business partner of 20 years due to the recession.  As such, he was pretty unhappy, more so because I had not graduated. He enlisted me as his Office Manager (pronounced "secretary") for five bucks an hour. Life there was... challenging.  

That stint as a Norfolk resident was six of the longest months of my life, but I made it through the spring and out of college. I bolted for Cape Cod and never looked back.  Six months later, I embarked on Whitney: The Washington Years when I rented a house with Rob and Spoid Spurrier.

A lot of shit happened after that. As the Monty Python lads might say, "Skip a bit, brother."

Back to Norfolk in 2005, good days and bad, tumult and upheaval, and in 2017 I moved back into my old house. My mom and stepdad are Florida residents now, and they were poised to sell the Ghent house then, but instead I moved in and rented from them for the final few years of my two daughters' high school careers. After that, I figured I would move out and go find my own place in the world.

Eh. This past Friday, I bought the house from them.

Single-income mortgages are slightly intimidating to me, but the rates are laughably low (I locked in at 2.875%) and I'm gonna stay a while. So I'm a homeowner for the first time since 2010, and for the first time by myself. 

I love my old house. That old 3rd floor bedroom is now a guest room / office / Les Coole Studios.  I will slowly make the place my own, which I guess means more Wilco posters and fewer prints of flowers.  Although I did put up a Wilco concert poster print with flowers. 

As Jimmy Buffett sang before he became a parrot-cature... 

And there aren't many reasons I would leave
Yes, I have found me some peace
Yes, I have found me a home.

21 comments:

zman said...

Good for you. Are you going to remodel the first floor to look like the pit?

rootsminer said...

Congrats Whit. I didn't realize how close I came to overlapping with you.

Two days from now will be the 27th anniversary of my mom finding two handles of Odessa vodka in my stuff I packed for college the night before departing for Williamsburg.

The worst part of it may have been that the confiscated booze was the easiest thing to raid from the liquor cabinet when I came home.

rob said...

big ups to the big man. looking forward to ledge-diving in the remodeled first floor area.

Squeaky said...

Congrats, Whit.

Squeaky said...

Turns out you can become susceptible to poison ivy oils later in life. Yanked out a bunch of vines creeping up the trees in the back yard last weekend. Can't fight the urge to scratch it.

rootsminer said...

Squeaky - get some Technu before you go vine ripping again. Anytime I even suspect I've been exposed I lather up with that stuff and then shower. So far, it's worked for me.

Whitney said...

Thanks, dudes. My first floor is going to be like the Pi Lam basement.

rob said...

i have first-hand (and arm, and leg, and crotchal region) experience with the body's changing chemistry and how it relates to poison ivy reactivity, squeak. never bothered me at all when i was a kid. wrecks me now.

rootsminer said...

Will it have an outside door that you can yank open even if it's locked?

I paid the basement a visit a couple years after graduating. Hopefully they've upgraded that lock in the last 20 years.

zman said...

I had the same poison ivy discovery--never allergic until age 37. Like rootsy, I give Technu scrub my strongest white.

I assume Whit's new chalet will have a small and seldom-used alcove behind the laundry room.

Squeaky said...

I've been lubing up with the Technu for the last week. Wife is highly allergic, so we always had it around. Maybe I could blame her. I'm sure that will go over well.

Squeaky said...

Trillium Brewing, kinda well known brewery, bought a farm in CT a few years back. They just announced they will be selling veggies, from said farm, at the brewery in a CSA type arrangement. Weekly pick up of fresh veggies and great (expensive) beer would kill two birds with one stone. If only I lived closer to one their locations.

TR said...

Poison ivy crushed me almost every summer of my youth. CRUSHED me. I finally learned to have caution in the wild.

Whitney said...

I remember Rob had a wicked bout of poison ivy in college. Some intoxicated bush rasslin or something.

Whitney said...

Both Real Genius and Tombstone on the telly tonight. High-Val-ue programming.

TR said...

“One more thing, Kent. Stop masturbating.”

Loved that movie as a kid, except for the actor who played Mitch. They whiffed big time on that.

Marls said...

I know it ha Bern discussed in this space before, but I still can’t get get over the fact that Uncle Rico and Lazlo Hollyfeld were played by the same guy.

Congrats on the house, Whit. When is the virtual housewarming? Return of the mag 7’s?

rob said...

marls is feeling ha Bern again.

Whitney said...

Marls, I was thinking that as I was watching Real Genius. Hollyfeld and Rico are pretty much diametrically opposite people in intellect, selfish/selflessness, projected career arc, way with the ladies, etc.

Whitney said...

The house is warm. Come visit, any of yous.

Donna said...

Congrats, Whit!
Stories with life coming-round full-circle, so to speak, are the best!
Poison ivy, on the other hand, sucks! Hope y’all feel better soon.