Monday, July 10, 2023

Taking It On The Road

As many of you know, I'll be driving my youngest back to college in a little more than three weeks. We'll be leaving Leesburg, VA on August 5, and have to be in Boulder, CO by 4:00 local time on August 7 so she can make the Buffs' first cheer practice of the Coach Prime era. I assume he'll stop by.

I'm warming up for that 1,678 mile, 25-hour trip by doing some light driving on the East Coast in the days prior. To wit (and to Whit), I'm headed to Richmond on the first to see my kid do her first-ever poetry reading, then to Norfolk on the second to pre-game for OBFT XXX, then to the Outer Banks for a far-too-brief overnighter at the aforementioned beach extravaganza, then back to NoVA on the fourth to back before we hit the road for Colorado.

Now is the moment I seek the assistance of the assembled community of Gheorghies. I have a few requests. 

First, I'm looking for advice on things to see, eat, and drink along our route west. Our first stop is in South Bend, Indiana. If we leave on time, we should get there around 5:00 local time. We're staying in a hotel about half a mile from the Notre Dame campus, which I've never seen. So that's a bit of a no-brainer, but if you have recommendations for good grub and cold pops in and around the campus, and any must-see sights (like Touchdown Jesus), I'm all ears.

We roll out of South Bend and through Illinois and Iowa before stopping for our second night in Omaha. Our hotel is right across the street from Charles Schwab Field, home of the NCAA College Baseball World Series and just a few blocks from Creighton University. I've been to Omaha once, years ago, and I don't really remember much about it other than it's pretty brown. If you've got ideas for things to do, see, and eat that don't include beef (I don't dig on the cow), hit me up.

Our run finishes across the plains, as we go through most of Nebraska before we get into Colorado. I'm guessing it'll be flat, so it's important that we have ways to entertain ourselves. I've been working on a few playlists, for example. But if Mark wants to add to the Tiny Dictator rap primer with some new stuff, I wouldn't complain. And if Dave could record a bunch of new 'We Defy Augury' episodes, I'd be much obliged. As for the rest of you, any ideas for podcasts that might appeal to a middle-aged dad and a 19 year-old college sophomore would be welcomed. Or if you're so motivated, drop a public playlist on the Spotify to keep us engaged.

And if there's a giant ball of twine or a local version of Wall Drug out there on the path between Leesburg and Boulder, you gotta let me know about it. 

17 comments:

Danimal said...

Rootsy - for clarification, golfer Olson was not by my side last week, though I was at Pebble and probably could have made that happen. The women golfers are far more accessible than their male counterparts.

Robbie - you've got to go check out the library, the grotto, and of course the stadium. I'd also check out the Morris Inn, the famed hotel that is on campus and host to the luminaries that come see their alma mater play on Saturdays. If looking for finer fare & experience, do so there. Or, if looking for ND's version of your favorite W&M bar, head to the Linebacker.

rob said...

excellent, danimal. i believe the linebacker is more in our wheelhouse.

OBX dave said...

Rob, here's a couple music podcast possibilities: Questlove has one called "Questlove Supreme," a nod I assume to the classic Coltrane disc A Love Supreme. Good storyteller, easy conversationalist, interviews Bigfoot performers and producers and music personalities.

A slightly off-kilter one called "Disgraceland," mostly a mashup of music and true crime. Some crazy stories about major artists and their connections to various crimes, along with background and music trivia stuff. Host Jake Brennan is a fun, informed listen.

Danimal said...

Podcasts that might check the boxes:
Planet Money - self-explanatory
Stuff You Should Know - self-explanatory
You're Wrong About - "Sarah is a journalist obsessed with the past. Every week she considers a person or event that's been miscast in the public imagination." Napster as an example, or Beanie Babies
Fly on the Wall with Dana Carvey and David Spade - interview podcast, always w/a past host of SNL, or someone that worked on the show, or both

Professor G. Truck said...

go to ashfall fossil bed in nebraska! truly incredible and you'll never have another chance.

the podcast "60 songs that explain the 90s" is really fun and entertaining with tons of great music clips. highly recommended.

rootsminer said...

A good Stephen King audiobook can get you a long way.

Whitney said...

Yeah - you’re headed to Colorado, so The Shining!

rootsminer said...

The Shining would be excellent. I listened to it on a solo road trip to Chicago and back years ago. When I got back I had to return a rental car and still had an hour left, so I opted to walk home on a dark winter evening so I could finish. The book and the film have very different endings.

Whitney said...

Indeed they do. I read The Shining freshman year of college. It was pretty damn scary. Luckily I had a hall full of knuckleheads surrounding me or I would've gotten more frightened.

Whitney said...

I was interviewed by a local keyboard jockey (OBXDave term) for a small publication about a topic you might think I know nothing about...

AI Will Change Future Of Work Force, But How?

Spoiler alert: I know nothing about that. Well, I didn't before I researched it in advance of the interview. Now I'm the G:TB go-to source.

rob said...

i saw this on linkedin the other day and totally forgot to mention it. my apologies to willy donaldson.

OBX dave said...

Hey Whit, author of that piece, Bob Flynn, was a Daily Press sports colleague. Copy desk guy during my tenure, then did some stringer work for them after he departed. He may even admit to knowing and working with me.

I applaud your optimism about AI. I'm confident it will spare some of us.

rob said...

cut my chin shaving today. with allll the blades. because i’m 14 years old.

rob said...

kid from my kids' high school just committed to florida. he's a 6'8", 335 lb offensive tackle. the weight room at the school is in the same wing as the soccer equipment room, so i see him pretty frequently when i'm picking up stuff for practice/games. he's a goddamn giant. like an entirely different species.

Whitney said...

NL off the recent schneid. About time.

rob said...

bought tickets to see fulham play chelsea at fedex during their upcoming u.s. tour. unbeknownst to me, the tix are also good for the brentford/villa match earlier that day. doubleheader!

Whitney said...

Slow day at the Gheorghe mill. Let's go.