Tuesday, June 21, 2022

What Car Should a Gheorghie Drive: zEdition

 I like cars.  Always have.  Some of my earliest memories revolve around my father's 1969 Butternut Yellow Chevrolet Impala convertible which as much a member of the family as any human being ever was.  I do not take poetic license I say "earliest memories"--I remember driving along the West Side Highway with the top down (it was always down) and an American flag flying from the antenna to celebrate the Bicentennial.  That car was more than a car, it was the first big purchase my father made after he graduated college and got a job, and for a young man who came here in the 1950s (as a refugee, really) it allowed him to tell the world that he made it.  As a result I've always had a fondness for big American V8s and convertibles.  If you think you don't like convertibles you're wrong.  You've just been driving them in the sun too much.  Convertibles peak at night.

On my 48th birthday I realized that this ride called life is about halfway over and that bothered me.  I'm also bothered by the way things are changing.  Our political system is a mess and our democracy might implode in a few years.  Liner notes don't exist.  Our economy appears to be on the brink of collapse.  Former pro athletes who are younger than me have sons who are now pro athletes.  Terrible viruses pop up out of nowhere.  My kids have no concept of live TV.  

I have automotive anxieties too.  I will never be able to afford an air-cooled 911.  New cars don't have buttons anymore, it's all touch screens.  In ten years all new cars will be massive lozenge-shaped electronic transportation pods that drive themselves without your involvement so that you and six other people can stream movies to your phones or tablets while the pod delivers you to your destination.  Don't even get me started on the dearth of cool car colors.

Or the dearth of cars!  Everything is an SUV now and I have no idea why.  I'm sure all of you have one but you shouldn't.  The trunks are not bigger than a wagon's and the center of gravity is too high.  They are a study in bad proportion.  Who looks at this and says "Yes!  Take my $100,000 now!"  Someday we will look back at these massively stretched front grills and laugh at them like tailfins from the 1950s.

And there are no sports cars!  In 1995, Nissan sold the 300ZX, 240SX, 200SX, and the Sentra SE-R.  Honda had the Civic Si, Civic Del Sol, and Prelude.  Toyota had the Celica, Supra, and a go-fast version of the Corolla.  Even frickin' Mazda had the MX-3, MX-6, Miata, and RX-7.  Today?  Nissan has the Z, Honda has the Civic Si, Toyota has the Supra, and Mazda has the Miata.  And no one buys any of them.

All of this makes me feel sad and old.  So I yearn for an analog car to take me back to simpler days when my future was big and bright and exciting.

But I also hate to let people down.  Part of this translates into saving, rather than spending, to assure that I will never come up short if my family needs something.  I currently drive a VW Golf Alltrack that costs me $323 a month (financed at 0%) and has a 6 year/60k mile warranty, a trunk bigger than your SUV, and storms through snow with aplomb.  It pulls 0.84 g on the skidpad, which is pretty crazy considering that a Ferrari Testarossa pulls 0.87 g.  You can't find a better deal--you probably pay more each month on your cable/internet bill, or your cell phone family plan.  So I can't justify spending a lot of money on a toy car.

My financial advisor likes cars too, we met in the parking garage of our building when he pulled in with his 1968 Pontiac Firebird convertible.  In our last meeting I joked about buying a toy car but he replied seriously with something like "You know cars.  Go get something you will enjoy and that will hold value.  It's a durable good!  Think of it as a way to diversify your portfolio."  He gave me a price range to work with and I started thinking and perusing BringaTrailer.com. 

The first car I ever remember seeing and saying "Whoa!  This changes everything!" was the 1984 Corvette.  This was the fourth generation of the model so it's referred to as the C4.  It looked like Chevy took a paring knife to a C3 to whittle away all the excess geegaws and indulgences of the 1970s and wound up with a land-going missile.  There are no fender flares, no flying buttresses, no ducktails.  There is zero chrome.  When viewed in profile its pointed nose and notched back make it look like an arrow shot from Artemis's bow, especially the convertible. 

Car & Driver previewed the gonzo ZR-1 version of the C4 in their October 1988 issue.

This issue also featured the only letter I've ever written that anyone ever published.

I can explain in the comments why that's funny if anyone cares.  The ZR-1 captivated me.  It had an engine made by Mercury Marine churning out 375 horsepower and Lotus helped design the whole thing using their Formula 1 experience.  It was faster than just about anything from German or Italy but it didn't stand out.  Aside from the square tail lights it looked just like a regular C4, and after a year or two all C4s had the square tail lights.  Stealth speed!

In high school I wrote my AP English term paper on the history of the Corvette.  It held my interest any my teacher's--she gave me an A and wrote me a letter of recommendation that helped me get into W&M.

All this is to say I've been a C4 ZR-1 fan for a long time.  It seems like I should drive a 1994 Corvette ZR-1 in Polo Green over beige.  And I almost did. 

But I waffled.  This is the right ZR-1.  It's crispy as hell but with 48k miles you can actually drive it without incurring serious depreciation.  These used to sell for $20k to $25k but the vintage car market is up and so are ZR-1 prices.  This one hammered at $32k and for me that's just too much for a 28-year-old car that has a lot of rare (only about 6900 were made) fussy parts that you probably can't get at your local Chevy dealer.  This one won an award or two so the owner is really more of a caretaker than a driver.  I absolutely would love to drive this, but it isn't my WCSAGD.

My real weakness is small, light roadsters like the Lotus Elan which inspired the Mazda Miata.  Owning an Elan is like owning a sailboat, you're constantly throwing money at it, and I already had a Miata.  I want something relatively reliable with readily available parts and that service stations know how to repair.  I also want something interesting--I love cars with five cylinders, French cars, three-wheelers, anything that involves a different engineering take on the automotive experience.  In a perfect world I would have a Porsche 959 in my garage but that isn't in the cards.

I should drive a 2004 Porsche Boxster S in Lago green over Savannah Beige with a black top and basket wheels.

And now I do.

2004 was the last year of the first generation Boxster, the 986.  The S version has a 3.2 liter flat-6 good for 258 horsepower.  That isn't a ton of oomph these days, but it only has to push around 2,911 pounds of car.  Flat, or horizontally-opposed, engines are cool.  They make it easier to fit more cylinders in a tight space like a V, but because they're flat they allow for a lower center of gravity.


I've owned a flat-4 and a straight-6 but never a flat-6, until now.  

Even cooler: the Boxster is mid-engined.  This means that the engine sits between the driver's back and the rear axle, exactly where God and Isaac Newton intended.  Putting the engine there puts most of the car's weight there, which means it handles really well.

A mid-engined, flat-6, rear-wheel-drive, two-seater convertible?  Sounds like a different automotive take to me.

I still have to figure out OBX Dave's car, but the rest of you have already been given your assignments.  Go out there and get your WCSAGD.

24 comments:

rob said...

z got a fast car. fast enough he could fly away.

and i'm all ears for the story of why that letter to the editor is funny. i know what all those words mean, but not in that order.

OBX dave said...

Aces post that checks many boxes: passion, history, family, nostalgia, info, goofballery, non sequiturs, visuals. I, too, await clarification on your letter to the editor.

rootsminer said...

Congrats on the new whip, Z. You should cruse it down to OBFT. Also, I'd suggest NOT turning Zson loose in it when he turns 16.

Speaking of vintage colors- a few weeks ago, I caught sight of a restored auto that you don't see much anymore - an almond covered Chevy Chevette. Later that day, I saw it parked along a rode I usually take on my bike ride home. Now I see it every evening, usually with the hood up and a Haines manual propped somewhere on the chassis. I guess there's a reason these cars are quite scarce.

Whitney said...

That is just so bad-assed. What a vehicle. I'm super impressed, dude. Nice work.

rootsminer said...

I just had a guy ease through a red light (same way I do on a bike) on his scooter, trunk slightly ajar to accommodate the remains of his sixer of heiniken.

I ended up trailing him for over a mile, over which I decided that this dude may actually be living his best life.

zman said...

Another change that bothers me is the decline of Car & Driver. It used to be an incredibly fun and well-written magazine with contributors like Brock Yates, John Phillips, Patrick Bedard, Csaba Cere and David E. Davis. They were knowledgeable and irreverent car guys who didn't take themselves seriously at all. And they wrote about cars! Now there are no cars to write about so the magazine is shamefully thin, full of articles about SUVs that all look alike, and features meh writing.

My mid-life crisis is real! I have gripes about so many changes! I sound like my grandparents' friends who complained back in the early 80's that all the new cars were made of aluminum and plastic, and/or they were from Japan.

I digress. In the 80's and 90's C&D did 10 Best Reader Stories in their annual 10 Best issue, and they would run ads soliciting readers to submit stories on that year's topic then print the ten best. Like best talking myself out of a speeding ticket story, or best used car negotiation story, or best story about getting caught in the backseat of a car, whatever. The stories were studies in knuckleheadedness and the ads were just as stupid as the stories. That was the point of both. In 1987 they had a picture of a guy pointing a gun at a dog with the caption "Enter 10 Best or we'll shoot this dog." People went nuts. PETA called for a boycott. Hundreds of screeds were sent to the editor. It was ridiculous and of course they published the most insane letters because that's what C&D did back then.

The next year they ran the same photo with the caption "Enter 10 Best or I'll eat this gun." So I wrote that letter.

Professor G. Truck said...

congrats zman!

thank god I'm already driving my dream car

Mark said...

I found out about the new Zcar this weekend when I sent Z a picture of my new car. He approved of my new car which felt good.

Whitney said...

Z, I couldn't agree with you more about liner notes. Damn shame.

OBX dave said...

Hey Z, not to crap all over vintage Car & Driver, but the gun and dog photo was a blatant rip-off of a National Lampoon cover from 1973.

www.interesly.com/dark-twisted-story-national-lampoon-cheeseface/

Whitney said...

I really need to dig up that Iron Horse Magazine letter from Evan Lloyd. It was splendid.

Shlara said...

Love the new car Z, congrats!

Whitney said...

The first link in this post connects you to the first of the WCSAGD series, way back on 10/12/18. The first comment was from TR (remember him?), who said...

This has potential as a recurring series!

One of the GTB classics, as it has turned out.

rob said...

we've known for a while that little danny starfucker is not a good dude. but the stuff that's coming out now in the congressional hearings is abjectly disgusting. what a subhuman fuckface. they should take the franchise away from him and give it to the community.

Danimal said...

awesome post Z, an congrats!

rob said...

there's a tbt regional at rucker park? there's a tbt regional at rucker park!

Whitney said...

The thing about Dan Snyder being the worst of the worst ever is that they had another dude lined up (Howard Milstein) with Snyder as junior partner. He got nuked by the NFL. How bad could Milstein have been? Short of moving the team to Milwaukee, I contend he could not have been worse.

rob said...

speaking of recurring bits, who still needs a premier league team?

rootsminer said...

I assumed we all just became Chelsea supporters after Boehly's succesful bid. No?

Mark said...

Want to continue to feel old, Z? Pacman Jones adopted Chris Henry's kids and was on an official visit to Miami today with one of them.

Whitney said...

Speaking of feeling old, I’m headed to see the Black Crowes tonight. It’s been 15 years. Since I saw their comeback stint.

Danimal said...

Has TR retired from GTB?

mr kq said...

Guess I’ll rethink that mid sized suv purchase I was about to make from my buddy Sheehy..

Whitney said...

Crowes were solid. They’ve still got it. Tight set of the entire Shake Your Money Maker plus some select other gems. Well executed.