Monday, February 28, 2022

More Mogs

 Morgan released some videos detailing their new three-wheeler.




The model's website has lots of information and if you want to spend hours trapped in an automotive rabbit hole, they have a bonkers configurator.  

There are many ways to spec this car and it's easy to screw it up.  Any black, silver, or gray version is incorrect.  For example, a murdered out Super 3 is stupid.


Matte battleship gray is better but still wrong.


Either way you can't see all of the car's details.  And it's a fucking three-wheeler with no roof or windshield, there's no point in trying to be subtle.  I see a few obvious builds.

First is green over biscuit with ivory side blades and matching wheels.  They offer at least five different shades of green (six if you count the blue-green "Eden Blue").  I'm going with glossy Almond because it's solid, not metallic.  Alligator would be better if it wasn't metallic, but that's life.  The side blades are matte Sport Ivory, as are the wheels.  I am not a fan of matte paint generally because it often hides the car's lines--my old neighbor had a matte black Audi A7 and it made one of the prettiest cars on the road completely two-dimensional.  But the wheels and side blades have no lines, they are completely two dimensional so matte paint will only accentuate them.  While I'm at it I'll take "zman" and "zwoman" callsigns on the driver's and passenger's sides respectively, American flags (they don't have that in the configurator so there are Union Jacks in the picture), a tinted flyscreen, Rich Tan interior, Zebrano wood on the dash, extra driving lights with protective cages all around, and because I'm an idiot I'll get body-matching luggage too.


That's a classically British car.  The luggage is ridiculous.  This is not a car you take on a road trip.  It has no top for God's sake.  But it looks cool in the picture so I included it.

It would also be correct to make the whole thing Sport Ivory and put a pop of color on the inside, like Cotswold Green.  I would go with silver wheels to get some contrast and some WWI flying ace decals for fun.


Austin Powers would go full Union Jack with this thing.


That's Sport Blue with Sport Red blades, cowl, and wheels.  Ivory seats with quilted red stitching and the Morgan logo between the seats.  The exhaust pipe is white too.  The brightwork is silver, the flyscreens are clear, and I only specced two driving lights to give the car less of a spider's face.  I added the Union Jack decals to make it as preposterous as possible.

If I were plunking down my hard earned zcash, I would go with glossy Classic Blue and matte White Gold blades and wheels, Tan mariner leather with pleated seats and blue stitching, silver brightwork, a walnut dashboard and a big Momo wood steering wheel.  I'd get the big flyscreen just to make it more livable, and a "03" decal on the blades.


Ideally the blades and wheels would be slightly browner and the body would be more of a robin's egg blue.  They have an infinitely adjustable "special solid colour" widget but it's too hard to figure out.

With all that said, the previous 3 Wheeler was cooler.  The exposed exhaust pipes running down the side were a major burn hazard but boy were they awesome to look at.  Having the engine hanging off the front bumper was a goofy idea just from a physics and handling dynamics perspective but it was also very aesthetically pleasing.  And the wire wheels were orders of magnitude more beautiful than these dog dishes on the Super 3.  The digital dash in the new car isn't heresy but I'm not sure it works with the whole old-timey steampunk vibe they're going for.

It starts at £35,000 and every time you do something in the configurator it adds more to the pricetag.  Sport Ivory paint is £595, for example.  Any wheels other than silver is another £595.  Any interior other than black vinyl and they start at £895.  It's insane, especially for a car you can't drive far or often.  It has no roof so you can't use it when it might rain (unless you don't mind ruining the interior).  The flyscreens are clip-on pieces of plastic so I doubt they provide any serious protection from rocks, insects, or anything else that might fly into your face at 40 MPH.  I cannot imagine driving one of these on a real highway--you would be invisible to, and thus likely run over by, an 18-wheeler or a Cadillac Escalade.  

Naturally, I registered my interest on the Morgan website and Linda from Morgan Motors of New England already contacted me.  I'm pretty sure I'm not stupid enough to buy a Super 3.  Pretty sure.

15 comments:

Whitney said...

I did it. My specification code is rZXT8Hdj. You can tell me how wrong I am if you care.

And yeah, I got the cup-holder.

rootsminer said...

I hear these little cars can fill a mighty big void in a way that few others can.

zman said...

That's fantastic. The tonneau is a nice touch.

zman said...

Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me.

Dave said...

i will be driving the minivan until my kids are out of college-- but then i'm certain i'll get one of these.

alex just got into Rutgers Engineering! that's where he's most definitely headed-- maybe he'll get a job that makes real money and buy me a car someday (he's already totaled one and flooded the other).

rob said...

awesome for alex! good for him.

Whitney said...

Congrats to Alex and to you on the future car! Here's to father and son at the Corner Tavern.

Whitney said...

The W&M Alumni Association just had the audacity to send me an email telling me to come to the CAA tournament. It says, "Don't miss the pregame party and team send-off!"

Assuming the team send-off is the game?

rob said...

i laughed. just like i laughed at the same email when i received it.

rob said...

7K2eTP4M, the wrenball option

rob said...

for future gheorghie reference, deep ellum is dope. had drinks at a dive bar called st. pete's dancing marlin (for obvious reasons). if you want an old school, no frills bar with friendly bar staff and smells that could tell stories, that's your place. also had drinks at dot's hop house and cocktail courtyard, which was much more luxe and had a great beer/cocktail menu and a massive outdoor space. finished with pizza and drinks at cane rosso, both of which were fantastic.

rob said...

ja morant made two of the most incredible plays you'll ever see in a half-quarter of play.

rob said...

ashley from maine cabin masters is wearing a billy strings t-shirt in the newest episode. relevant to whit's interests.

Whitney said...

So I finally figured out what I think the War on Drugs’s hit song “I Don’t Live Here Anymore” sounds like. Try to mash up Kim Carnes’ “Bette Davis Eyes” with Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer.” That’s exactly what this song sounds like. Somebody please do this and prove me right.

Whitney said...

Happy Mardi Gras, everyone. Not too festive here.