Monday, June 06, 2022

zHot Takes After the 2022 French Open

On Sunday, Rafael Nadal won his 14th French Open in his 18th attempt at the title.  He won his first one at 19 and this year's at 36.  Think about how much changed in your life between your 19th and 36th birthdays.  Now imagine winning one of the world's most prestigious sporting events essentially every year of your life over that span.  It's unfathomable.  It's also a testimony to him and his family that he remained focused and scandal-free (poor Boris Becker) despite success at such a young age.

Nadal now has 22 Grand Slam titles, the most of anyone ever.  Roy Emerson held the record with 12 Slams until 1999 when Pete Sampras won his 13th.  Pistol Pete retired after winning his 14th in 2002.  So Nadal tied the old record just based on his work at the French Open alone.

Nadal is 112-3 at the French.  Those 112 French wins are more than some Hall of Famers had in all their Grand Slam appearances combined, guys like Kuerten, Ivanisevic, Stich, Kafelnikov.

He is 8-8 in other Grand Slam finals.  So if he never played in the French Open, he would have more Slams than McEnroe, Wilander, Becker, and Edberg; he would be tied with Agassi, Lendl, and Connors; and he would have as many as Ashe, Murray, Roddick, and Ivanisevic combined.  All of those guys are in the Hall of Fame except for Murray because he's still playing.  And those non-French 16 finals appearances would be more than anyone except four other players (and tied with Borg).  And he always plays his ass off, even when he loses.


I feel like I've written this before--perhaps I have, just about someone else--so you're probably tired of reading my rants.  Just realize that this age of preposterous tennis can't go on forever, so appreciate it while it lasts.  

11 comments:

Whitney said...

Good morning, gheorghies. While I would rather leisurely read Z‘s hot take, I have just gotten in my folks’ car in Durham, North Carolina. My stepdad had (what they believe was) successful, fairly major cancer surgery at Duke two weeks ago. I volunteered to drive their car from Durham to Sarasota, Florida so they would not have to. We shall see how good an idea that was as the day progresses, but I have 725 miles ahead of me. Stay tuned.

zman said...

The Boris Becker links are fun.

Asked why women seemed to find him attractive, Becker replied: "No idea. I'm not especially rich, I'm not especially pretty, I'm no Adonis and my manhood isn't over-enormous."

Danimal said...

Safe travels Whit.

I just re-read the Agassi post from Nov 30, 2009 - So good and worth the re-read.
Nov 30, 2009 - holy shit that's a long time ago, and also when Tiger's "issues" were coming to light. In the comments I convey my doubts about his infidelities. What an idiot.

Whitney said...

Danimal… you got another lunch recommendation for me? Captain Stan’s is closed on Monday. I’m coming down 95 and then heading west on I-10. Of course, if you’re free for lunch I can make a little detour.

rootsminer said...

Safe travels, Whit. Hope stepdad heals up well.

Danimal said...

Don't fret - Whit & I have connected. Unfortunately no mini-summit lunch today.
Rob - a belated congrats on a successful season of soccer. You're awesome.

Whitney said...

Sorry to miss Dan but landed at a walk-up smoke shack (the food kind) in Kingsland, GA. Malson’s pulled pork is good stuff.

rootsminer said...

Zman and I went into a smoke shack on the beach in Jamaica once. I still feel lucky we made it out of there.

zman said...

That was a bad decision. I blame it entirely on Jordache.

Mark said...

Came back from 4 days of abusing my liver on the beach and by the pool in North Florida today and had to coach my first basketball practice of the summer. Not gonna lie, I wasn’t motivated to do so. Glad I did though. Rewarding myself with a beer at the local bar now. I’ll dry out the rest of the week…

rob said...

that's what i keep telling myself, too, mark. one day it'll be true.