Friday, November 19, 2021

We Had a Good Run

Au contraire, aphorism!
I am, by nature, an optimist. To be more specific, I'm lazy, so I assume most things are likely to work out, so I expect the best. With a few exceptions, mostly concerning things that don't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things, that philosophy has worked for me.

This places me at odds frequently with lawyers who work for my company. I argue on the regular that the risks they're pointing out in customer contracts are extremely unlikely to be made manifest, and regardless, they're risks I'm willing to accept. Out my way, counselor! I've got a business to run.

On that front, I've yet to be caught out. Largely because experience tells me that even if we screw something up with a customer, if we've built a good relationship, we can work it out without running the contract or the company into a ditch.

I say all this as preface to the main point of this essay, which is that our society is fucked because our collective experience doesn't matter at a time when too many of the foundational norms of our body politic have turned to quicksand.

It's been coming for a minute. We were shocked when Newt Gingrich decided to shut down the Federal Government back in the 90s because such a thing was unthinkable. (Whitney was less shocked than really happy for the time off.) Imagine what we'd have said back then if we were told that a sitting Congressman had Tweeted an anime video depicting the murder of a colleague and a threat to the President?

First, we would've said, "what the fuck does 'Tweeted' mean, and what is an anime?". But then after someone explained those post-modern societal features, we'd have not believed such a thing possible. Surely, though, we'd expect such a norm-violator to be roundly and unanimously sanctioned by fellow legislators. 

And just as surely, we'd have been wrong. 207 members of the House of Representatives, all Republican, did not see fit to censure Rep. Paul Gosar (R-AZ) for Tweeting such a video about fellow Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY). I understand political opponents strongly disagreeing with Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's policy views, because she's on the leftmost side of the spectrum. I do not for a moment understand how even jokey threats of violence became acceptable political discourse among adherents of one of our two major political parties. For her part, AOC's words are hard to argue with, and fell entirely upon the deafest of ears amongst those who most needed to hear them.


After his censure, Gosar once again Tweeted the offending video. Because he's a toddler meathead fuck.

Outside of the realm of politics, outrage has become one of the surest paths to profit. Alex Jones, Charlie Kirk, Jason Whitlock, Clay Travis, Jack Posobiec, and the retinue of grifting angermongers that queue up alongside them to monetize our divisions are as smart as they are opportunistic. There's gold in them thar clicks. 

Good job, good effort
This reliable group of rage amplifiers team up with shadowy manipulators like the Koch Brothers to drive real outcomes in our world. The wholly specious Critical Race Theory nonsense centered in my county this autumn was birthed by a dude named Christopher Rufo, funded by a Byzantine network of folks who couldn't find Loudoun County on a map, handled poorly by Terry McAuliffe, and deftly exploited by Glenn Youngkin all the way to the Governor's mansion in Richmond.

Tom Nichols, author of The Death of Expertise and a reliable chronicler of the decline of civil engagement assesses things well in an excellent newsletter piece in The Atlantic.
Unfortunately, we’ve become a nation, to steal a line from Peggy Noonan, of “sullen paranoids,” in which millions of us have embraced a toxic combination of fantasy and stupidity. This is more than just the revival of conspiracy theories, which always lurk just beneath the surface of every society. This is far worse. From “microchips in the vaccines” to QAnon, from Venezuelan voting machines to Russian-hacked voting machines, from faked moon landings to “January 6 was antifa or the FBI or maybe both,” too many of our fellow citizens are adrift, lost, freaked-out, and willing to believe almost anything, especially if it helps to support their preexisting political narratives and tribal loyalties.

I could go on, but most readers of this here blog have at least a passing understanding of the things Dr. Nichols and I describe. That's all setup for this punch line.

I don't think there's a way back, at least in my lifetime.

Partisan division was once about policy with a soupcon of racism thrown in. And yes, the Democrats were the racists. Or, to be clear, the more racist party. Now division a cultural touchstone. 59% of Republicans in a recent poll agreed that supporting Donald Trump was a prerequisite to being a member of the GOP. Not supporting a strong military, or lower taxes, or small government. Supporting Donald Trump. To harvest liberal tears, one assumes. A goddamn vaccine, something we give our children 29 times before they're 18 months old, became a symbol of which team you're on. We are a deeply unserious people.

And given the state of legislative gerrymandering, the GOP's generally better organization, the pandemic's continued drag on...well, everything, it's highly likely that the 2022 elections are dismal for Democrats. Which will send us into a deeper spiral of bad governance, rewarding political extremism  and escalating anger on both sides.

It will, my friends, get much worse before it gets better.

Reasonable minds may disagree, and Nichols suggests a path, saying, "But I am convinced (and I’ll return to this theme in the future in this newsletter) that the remedy for saving our corroded public life lies within ourselves rather than through the law and regulation. Turning to someone you know and telling them that the Earth is round, that vaccines work, that JFK Jr. is as dead as Julius Caesar—and that you are not willing to argue about it for three hours—is not an act of hostility. It’s an act of civic virtue, of friendship, even of love. And we need to do more of it."

I hope he's right and I'm wrong. But history suggests I rarely am, at least in matters of Trump-inspired politifuckery.

I'm having a hard time staying optimistic. I hear people in Norway are pretty happy with their lot in life. And if we keep fucking the environment, it'll be a lot easier to get my hygge on with the new climate in my pad in Oslo. Doors always open for you lot.

37 comments:

Juan Carlos said...

There is a lot more mental illness going around than people want to admit.

rob said...

hadn't really considered that, but you're almost certainly right.

zman said...

Even worse news.

rob said...

fuck. she's right, too.

jerome said...

This blog is still around?

T.J. said...

listen pal, you don't get to move to Buffalo and be all uppity

rootsminer said...

Way to send us into the weekend on a bummer, Rob.

rob said...

figured people needed an excuse to drink, rootsy

rob said...

our overlords allowed greg to bring a child into the world? didn't see that coming.

OBX dave said...

"retinue of grifting angermongers" is a keeper within a well-argued piece.

Unfortunately, I share the Pocket Sultan's pessimism. We (I should say "They") are in the process of codifying minority rule, through the mechanisms described.

I went down a demographic rabbit hole recently and figured that states represented by Republican senators have approximately 40 million fewer Americans than those represented by Dems. Even more jarring, 24 of 50 Republican senators are from states that comprise less than 8 percent of the population -- about 25.7 million people out of 330 million. That's a hell of a big cudgel for an awfully small group.

And the fact that Republicans are railing against provisions in both of Biden's major spending bills that people are actually in favor of -- and R's may profit from those arguments in 2022 and '24 -- is some alternate universe stuff that someone will have to explain to me.

Whitney said...

That 69 article was fairly slight. It was just a slam on Elon Musk for a slew of uninventive, inane 69 jokes. I mildly enjoy the 69 stuff, and always will. Behind closed doors. Not on Twitter.

Whitney said...

So given that up is down and down is up these days — evidenced most recently in my own anecdotal sphere by a contingent in a certain Virginia neighborhood who has taken to believing and proclaiming loudly that the Biden administration is trying to kill off Trump supporters with the poison vaccines to win re-election — why aren’t the Dems going ridicu-rogue like the Repubes? Traditional artillery isn’t working. Let’s get weird and inventive. It starts at G:TB.

Marls said...

Whit, you don’t think that the Dems have gone redicu-rogue? I HATE Trump, but the shit that his admin was accused of doing intentionally was insane. There was definitely commentary that Trump was letting the pandemic fester since it more adversely impacted and would kill of people of color.

Political discourse is dead and both sides have blood on their hands. The Republican revolution of the 90’s followed by the Tea Party started the Republican race to the crazy town bottom sooner but the Dems are fast followers. Neither party really gives a flying fuck about most Americans. The Dems are marginally better than they republicans in my mind but being the best bag of shit still means you are a bag of shit.

Mark said...

Fun Friday around these parts.

In other news...my high school is great at sports. But in more of a Stanford vs. LSU kind of way. We kill in all the "white" sports. Tennis, swimming/diving, soccer, baseball, etc. We win every All-Sports trophy for the conference (Ranked in state when I played basketball there though...just saying). Until recently that is. The island now has a vibrant youth football program and the high school has its best team in 30+ years. Playing a home game tonight in the Regional Semifinals. I was at the last one (sister was a cheerleader). That game was a loss to Sanford Seminole and QB Jeff Blake.

As for Greg, Rob...pay attention to your own blog. I mentioned our visit to S. Carolina being related to Greg's first (officially recognized) child.

zman said...

zwoman's sneaker was missing a shoelace so she concluded that it was in her dog, which meant that I had to take her dog to the vet because she had to take the kids to after-school activities. Two and a half hours and $250 later, the vet concluded that there was no shoelace in zwoman's dog based on a review of the dog's vomit and stools. When I got home I suggested that the shoelace might be under zbed because that's where the shoe was and zson found the shoelace right away.

Dogs are awesome!

Mark said...

You need to get control of your dog situation, Z. A dog is a community project. Specifically shared, for the most part, by the parents. As in the plural…

mr kq said...

I thought retinue was a typo in re to Rob’s big revenue sales plans.

To the point of the post, I’m immersing meself in good beer and good tunes. But yeah, we’re fooked.

Mark said...

Satellite Scorpions will be playing in their first ever regional final next Friday. Sting ‘Em!

Mark said...

Thanks for all the support, guys.

rootsminer said...

Rob is busy trying to squeeze said scorpions into a parlay of some kind. Good luck!

zman said...

Is that comment about the Scorpions covering "Satellite"? I'm not into DMB.

Mark said...

Funny, Zman. Funny.

At least my high school is killing it on the football field because Florida has gone to hell in a hand basket. I willingly skipped the first half to go see a friend’s band play at a beach side bar. Should’ve skipped the second half.

Mark said...

I purposely didn’t read this post at first because I knew it would bum me out. I was right. And Rob’s not wrong. For the first time in my life I’ve started to seriously consider moving out of America. This has been going on for the better part of a year. It won’t happen anytime soon but there’s a decent chance it does indeed happen.

Whitney said...

Mark, where would you go?

Mark said...

That’s a good question and one I haven’t intelligently considered yet. Highly doubtful I’d leave while my youngest is still under my roof and my parents are still alive and thriving but I love Costa Rica and could see parts of Western Europe. It bums me out that I am even having these discussions with myself. I love where I live. I do not live many of the people where I live, nor do I love the trajectory of our country.

Mark said...

Jonathan Taylor is fucking awesome. The Bills are disappointing as hell this year.

zman said...

You get used to it after a decade or two.

zman said...

I do think the offense can be one dimensional at times, they could use a real RB.

Mark said...

Yes they could. Wouldn’t have helped them against Jonathan Taylor though. And of course, I am playing him in fantasy.

Professor G. Truck said...

the new joe rogan with tristan harris gets into the weeds on why we are all fucked . . . it's a really good one, even for you folks who don't care for joe rogan . . . or you can read my one-sentence summary:

https://sentenceofdave.blogspot.com/2021/11/required-listening-whether-you-go.html

Mark said...

I hung the outside Xmas lights today. I’m also cooking steak and crab cakes for dinner. This may or may not be related to Florida looking for their fourth head football coach in the past decade.

mr kq said...

I franchised Taylor over Henry from last year in a keep one auction league. Geek stuff but worked out well!

rob said...

whit and i had a mini-summit at the tribe football game yesterday. still trying to piece together the final stages of our evening.

mr kq said...

Weird, that’s never happened to me after hanging out with Whitney.

rob said...

tribe hoops now 0-5 on the season after losing to howard. 0-2 against the meac. that's...bad.

rob said...

apropos of nothing: https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-tips/best-countries-for-american-expats

rob said...

st bonaventure is 70-1 to win the ncaa tournament. for what it's worth.