Saturday, November 13, 2021

Roger Goodell is Still a Donkey

Almost seven years ago I wrote a post about Tom Brady's affection for tender balls (and Aaron Rodgers's preference for turgid balls) and the Deflategate fiasco.  I followed that up with another post comparing the NFL to Chotchkie's.  As an aside, I think I did a better job summarizing the situation than most other media outlets.  

You may recall that Roger Goodell suspended Tom Brady for four games by analogizing deflating balls to taking steroids.  The trial court judge scoffed at that comparison, writing that Goodell's punishment:

offers no scientific, empirical, or historical evidence of any comparability between Brady's alleged offense and steroid use.  Often, steroid use has to do with critical issues of health, injury, addiction, and peer pressure, among other factors.  See Steroid Policy at 1-2 (listing several factors related to the use of "Prohibited Substances," including "a number of physiological, psychological, orthopedic, reproductive, and other serious health problems, [such as] heart disease, liver cancer, musculoskeletal growth defects, strokes, and infertility"). None of these factors is (remotely) present here.

You know what is associated with serious health problems?  Covid-19.  So if a player violates the NFL's covid-19 policy, I would expect them to be suspended for at least one game because it's analogous to the league's steroid policy.

Predictably, Roger Goodell doesn't see it that way.  He fined Rodgers $14,650 for attending a Halloween party without being vaccinated.  The fact that Rodgers lied about his vaccination status didn't factor into the fine amount.  Rodgers makes $22,364,706 this year so the fine represents 0.0655% of his salary.

This makes perfect sense.  You let a little air out of a football, or "it is more probable than not" that you were "at least generally aware" that two baciagaloops let the air out of a football, and the league takes 25% of your pay.  If you help perpetuate a global plague that has killed over 750,000 Americans by refusing to take a free, safe, and effective vaccine or to wear a mask and avoid crowds, the league takes about seven hundredths of a percent of your salary.  

Player safety!  America's game!  Nice job Goodell.

via Gfycat

17 comments:

rob said...

baciagaloops!

zman said...

To be fair, the penalty is in line with the league's covid policy (click the first link and go to page 91)

T.J. said...

headed to the San Diego zoo this morning solo... might've also obtained some items to make my stroll around the zoo quite entertaining

Mark said...

On my way to tailgate for FSU-Miami. Should be an interesting day. My sister’s tailgate spot is great, both my sister’s families tailgate right and these two fan bases HATE each other.

zman said...

Mark, is there an underlying source of animosity beyond the football rivalry? Like the snooty private school people sneer at the state school plebes and vice versa?

rob said...

i watched samford hang a whole bunch of points on the tribe from the press box of the tribedome in the company of dr. fairbank back in the early 90s. didn't expect they'd drop 42 on florida in the first half.

OBX dave said...

I remember that game. As I recall, Samford's ath-a-letes harassed the crap out of Chris Hakel. In post-game presser, Samford coach Terry Bowden said something like, "I kept wondering, where's their speed? I didn't think they had the speed to beat us."

Bowden also has a law degree. The week of the game, I asked him during a phone interview why he became a coach instead of a lawyer. His answer: "Because I wanted people to like me."

zman said...

I remember the time everyone's favorite ER doc got into the beginnings of a brawl with Hakel. Nap, the man of the house, stepped in and whisked the young physician away. Afterward he reported that when he put his hand on Hakel's arm he got nervous, it was unlike any other arm he ever grappled.

zman said...

When zwoman got her dog we were told it would grow to be about 40 lbs. I think that's a great size--big enough to catch a frisbee and stick its head out the window when I drive but small enough that I can pick it up and carry it if I have to. She is now 6.9 months old and 36 lbs. At what age do dogs stop growing?

rootsminer said...

Zwoman’s dog ;) I don’t recall the good dr dealing in pugilism.

I hope teej is enjoying his stroll through the zoo.

T.J. said...

I had a very good day at the zoo. 4 hrs, 20 insta stories.

rob said...

i enjoyed teejinsta this evening.

also, truck nuts on an audi a4 is a choice. that i saw someone make today.

Mark said...

I got to watch a heck of a football game last night. And I did it all while sitting next to my Dad and talking football with my daughter sitting on the other side of me and letting me teach her about football. One of the best days/nights I’ve had in quite some time.

Whitney said...

Corona commercial giving us some Whodini. Yessssss.

rob said...

took my first covid test today. that was fun. abundance of caution sorta thing - i've had a persistent cough for the past 5-6 days and am scheduled to travel later in the week. negative on the rapid test, now waiting for results of the pcr test.

rootsminer said...

Hope the pcr is a good result too, Rob. My oldest missed a week of school earlier, despite two negative tests, due to cough and sinus issues that started right after a Sunday soccer game. Had a tourney at the same spot this weekend, and had the same reaction.

I don't know whether it's an allergy to something related to the turf fields or that sickly Martinsville air, but it's hard to go on with your life nowadays with any evident symptoms.

Also, I can't not see 'tender balls' and 'turgid balls' when I fire up GTB. I try and ignore the phrases, but I am weak.

Squeaky said...

Big concert news announced today for some of you. Beck, Wilco, Jason Isbell and 400 Watt Unit, The Avett Brothers and few other bands are doing a festival on Martha's Vineyard this summer. Seems like a killer line up if those bands are in your musical wheelhouse. Unfortunately for me, that weekend is also my son's birthday weekend. So no dice for me.