Friday, November 26, 2021

In Case You Didn't Get Your Phil Yesterday

This tweet and video, posted by a great dude I went to high school with, took me mildly aback.

As Danny is wont to do, he found the beauty in the sadness. He saw Phil Collins, once one of the most vibrant and proficient kit men/front men in rock and roll, relegated to a chair onstage. He saw the strength and defiance, the middle finger in the face of health challenges and old age.

I have to admit this... I first watched it and saw the wilt. Heard the wither. Maybe it's just that I dig Genesis a lot but don't enjoy that song. Maybe I just fail the gheorghey test on this one. Maybe I missed again.

Phil Collins and Genesis take a bit of heat from the rock intelligentsia, and they've got some of that coming to them. There was at least a modicum if not an abundance of edge to this band way back when. That faded into the ether along the way. Rock/pop became pop/rock, and then they dispensed with that pesky rock part. So be it, they made the kind of wealth that such moves sometimes beget, and Phil needed it down the stretch, what with the three divorces and such. (Unrelated: Anybody listen to Billy Joel's Glass Houses lately?)

Patrick Bateman and I have lots in common, which you probably realized right off the bat. This monologue is precisely as I see the world of Genesis. In the beginning. "I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual." Alas, Mr. Bateman goes a little crazy after that. You know, when he says, "I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece." I formally register my dispute. 

If there is a masterpiece album of the trio era of Genesis, it's either Abacab or the s/t album from '83. But there's little need in scurrying down that particular squirrel hole. If you look at the body of work between 1980 and 1986, both with Rutherford/Banks and solo, there's a treasure trove of singles worth bopping along to:


Take a listen to these old tunes again, and really listen to the drums -- more than you would otherwise. It's fairly distinctly Phil Collins. And it's some good shit, I'm telling tell you.

Actually, if you want to learn more about Phil the Shill's worth as a drummer... well, other people more in the know have written it better than I ever could. He's no Keith Moon but his fills kick a bit of ass. He hasn't Neil Peart's virtuosic skill but he has his respect. He ranks #43 on stupid Rolling Stone's stupid list of the best drummers of all time. Doesn't sound that good, but it's higher than Mick Fleetwood, Max Weinberg, AVH, and may more.

So what happened to Phil Collins? After his songwriting and recording career slowed to a stop, he'd still hit the road now and then with or without Mike and Tony. But then he had a spinal injury, two not-so-great words that don't go great at all together. Back surgeries. Nerve damage. Falls. Fractures. Oh, and pancreatitis and diabetes. There are plenty of tabloid stories as well, if you're Marls and read the NY Post.

He can't hold a drumstick. He can't play piano. He has to sit onstage. He can barely sing, it seems. 

He'll never go back into the stu-stu-studio. But he has fought through it enough to get out there and do it on a Genesis tour called "The Last Domino." Technically, there's a question mark that follows that last word. But is there really?

Who knows? He's pushing harder and doing more than most folks would have figured by looking at him. And he doesn't care anymore. He's out there. Against all odds. 

Danny was right.

But also... also... did you know??? Phil Collins played drums on a host of other people's songs. Listen for the PC sound. 

Phil Collins played on a number of songs with his old bandmate. "Intruder" is another great one. This one crushes, especially the fills after "swarm of bees"...

I had no idea...

I really had no idea...

Howard Jones did the drums himself on the album version. Then wised up for a re-release of this single with PC manning the kit.

I really REALLY had no idea...

It's the day after Thanksgiving, so this is fair game.

That's all.

33 comments:

zman said...

Middle school zman thought Collins/Genesis was dope. I think much of it holds up and pop can be high quality (see, e.g., The Beatles). Those crisp drumpad tones and slithery synths are quintessential 80s sounds.

rootsminer said...

That stu-stu-studio line was cold.

Phil's early 80s solo joints were some of the first albums I dubbed to cassettes back in the day. I remember geeking out over the 'In The Air Tonight' drum fill on a boombox on my childhood front porch. I still love it unapologetically.

Mark said...

I liked Whit dropping a “don’t care anymore” reference more than the studio line. Either way, it’s clear that Whitney put a lot of work into this post. Well done, sir.

I still will jam to Genesis at the gym from time to time. Phil Collins will always be underrated.

rob said...

this post brings back one very specific memory for your boy. the first time i made love to a young lady, phil collins featured prominently. she was a huge phil phan, and as things got to groovy kind of love stage, she put 'in the air tonight' on. so i lost my virginity to the sound of those drums. i didn't complain, as i was an easy lover.

rootsminer said...

Did either of you throw in a bit of the invisible touch?

Whitney said...

It’s assumed that Rob wasn’t in too deep.

rootsminer said...

If he were, it would be against all odds.

zman said...

No jacket required?

rob said...

they say you can't hurry love, but she might disagree

mr kq said...

Sounds like you were an Intruder with No Self Control. Did you Start and then think “I Don’t Remember?” Perhaps you’re Not One of Us and will never Lead a Normal Life?

Mark said...

I didn’t need to know about how Rob lost his virginity. I do love an Easy Lover reference though.

Mark said...

Doubt many of you were eating UNC-NC State. If I’m correct, y’all missed a hell of an ending to a rivalry football game.

Mark said...

Watching…not eating.

Whitney said...

I watched it! Amazing conclusion, and I root for the Wolfpack.

Whitney said...

And I enjoyed Mr. KQ’s inclusion of the titles of songs on one of my favorite albums of all time.

mr kq said...

Drew Timme Marlin always seems to make the right play.

Whitney said...

Duke’s Mark Williams was in my elder daughter’s class in high school. She was buddies with him, says he’s a good dude, which is nice as he now looks to be on the verge of being a great college hoops player.

Danimal said...

What a great post! I was not clued into PC's misfortunes, and that is why I get my deep cut news at GTB....they're there for me.
A happy belated Thanksgiving. A great one here, host to a couple of neighbors and their famz, the mom-in-law and two of her gal pals, 18 in all. Wasn't too bad as we were on turkey (2) duty only.
Thankful for much, including this group. Enjoy the football today...couple of good ones!

Danimal said...

And "In the Air Tonight" shall never sound the same again. Thanks? Rob.

rob said...

tribe hosts mary baldwin this afternoon. i'd like to believe it's a walkover. but this tribe team is awful.

Mark said...

Florida-FSU was one of the worst played and officiated football games I’ve ever seen.

Dave said...

nice post whit. did not no phil was in such a bad way. and i successfully found your playlist on my spotify account! not so nice post for rutgers today. but better to lose at the least second than have a spinal injury, of course . . .

Dave said...

you put sussudio on the list? one of the worst songs ever. now i have to unheart it.

Mark said...

Couldn’t pay me to sit in the stands at this Michigan State-Penn State game.

Danimal said...

Auburn Tigers came to play.

rob said...

sat in the seats yesterday afternoon at broad run high school watching my kid's final game as a high school cheerleader. no snow, but it was 42 degrees with 20 mph winds. and her school lost, 35-0 in the regional finals. that was less than fun.

and the alabama crimson tide came to wander aimlessly, not block anyone, and make inexplicably conservative coaching decisions.

Mark said...

My beloved Satellite Scorpions also lost last night in the Regional Finals. Went down 21-0 to the hated Merritt Island Mustangs. Still the best season in school history though.

Whitney said...

I’m here in Columbia, pregaming for the USC-Clemson game. Hoping against hope.

rob said...

clemson kinda sucks. also, i've got zoe and the money line on her beating you on the beer bong this weekend.

Mark said...

Bedlam is pretty fun so far.

Mark said...

I’ve basically been on my couch since noon. I regret nothing.

Mark said...

The way Oklahoma owns Oklahoma State regardless of who's the better team is remarkable.

Mark said...

Bedlam was really fun. Today was really fun if you like College Football.