Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Me and Doc

The Baseball Hall of Fame announced the Class of 2019 yesterday, and I have no particular quibbles. In Mariano Rivera, Mike Mussina, Edgar Martinez, and Roy Halladay, the Hall chose four guys who were the class of the league for long stretches. (And I'd be lying if it didn't amuse me to see Roger Clemens and Curt Schilling on the outside looking in, even as I think both will eventually be tabbed - just miss me with Schilling's acceptance speech.)

No quibbles, and no particular affinity. At least none based on my rooting interests. Rivera obviously tormented my favorite team for the entirety of his career, save two very pivotal postseason games in 2004. Mussina similarly shone against the Red Sox - I especially remember the no-hitter he took two outs into the ninth inning before Carl Everett broke it up. I honestly don't have many memories of Edgar Martinez, other than the times when his peers spoke reverentially of his stroke.

The late Roy Halladay, though, is a weirder story. I have two distinct and very different memories of the big right-hander.

We have to go way back to the mid-90s for the first one. Back then, I played fantasy baseball with a group of dudes. It was early in Halladay's career, and he'd bounced between the minors and the show because of his inability to control his sublime stuff. He demonstrated his potential in a game early in the season, dominating his opponent and leading my fantasy opponent to a victory (the details of both have been lost to time, though I believe I was playing against Whitney the week in question).

Frustrated at the loss, I noted to Whitney that he was the beneficiary of the best game Halladay would ever pitch. Further, I vowed that if the Blue Jays' hurler ever pitched another game as good, I'd buy a Jays cap and wear it during our softball games.

Two weeks later, Halladay matched his performance. And that, friends, is how I came to own one of these:

Several years later, in 2005, I took my Dad to Fenway Park for the first and only time in my life. We'd been plenty of times before, but this was the only time where I paid our way. We took the T in from Braintree (the whole family was vacationing on Cape Cod), and sat in the centerfield bleachers on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

Roy Halladay pitched for Toronto against Bronson Arroyo. After both teams scored in the first inning, Halladay stoned the Sox for the next seven innings. The Jays won, 5-2, after the Sox scratched across a meaningless run in the 9th. Halladay went 8 innings, allowing a single run on five hits.

It was the last time my Dad and I were in Fenway together.

Thanks, Roy. Hope you're laughing about that with him somewhere.

25 comments:

Whitney said...

There are worse looking lids out there than that one.

Memory is a funny thing. The little nuggets we store away deep in the recesses, ones that get called back up for duty by some random occurrence decades later...

...and the moderately significant, lengthy episodes that occurred mere days ago but are obfuscated or even eradicated completely by that particular Shift+Delete button depression known as Jameson on the rocks.

zman said...

Lost in rob's post about Big Mouth and the comments thereto (or lack thereof) is that the theme song is Charles Bradley covering Black Sabbath's "Changes."

I'm beyond giving more than one mere symbolic shit about Halls of Fame, but Mike Mussina seems like he belongs in the Hall of Very Good. I remember his no-hitter against the Sox and when Carl Everett came to the plate I said "If anyone can break up this no-hitter it's this moron" and he did. Then he went back to not believing in dinosaurs or the Apollo moon landing.

Whitney said...

Rob... now when we play this stupid game late-night at the OBFT, there's a checklist to work from....

Mark said...

I have a bunch of good Carl Everrett stories from when he was rehabbing his hamstring at the minor league complex I worked at.

I also have a similar Blue Jays fitted that I bought when my daughter (Maple) was newly born. She’s 7 today.

Whitney said...

Our buddy Bruce, who was a good rugby player and has been teaching hang gliding for 30 years and is obviously a fine athlete but whom I can’t imagine hitting a baseball, once hit a homerun off Mike Mussina. That ought to tell you.

rob said...

swing hard in case you hit it, whit

rootsminer said...

I never broke up a no-hitter, but plenty of one hitters.

rob said...

i threw a six-inning perfect game when i was 11. glory days.

T.J. said...

well they'll pass you by

zman said...

In my younger days I used to sport a sag.

rootsminer said...

Rob was well known to throw that old speed ball by you.

T.J. said...

He’d make you look like a fool, boy

rob said...

uh huh

Unknown said...

that's Cougar, dummy

Mark said...

When I went to school I carried lunch in a bag.

You dolts just kept going with Springsteen and nobody acknowledged Zman’s Pharcyde.

TR said...

This Oladipo news really sucks. He’s been balling out as a Pacer. Indy-Boston would have been a fun 4-5 matchup in the playoffs.

zman said...

Yoodge day.

Squeaky said...

Everyone is listening to the Teal album that dropped today.

zman said...

It's a likely hit with this demographic. Except TR, he hates it.

Whitney said...

You'd get more fans around here with a new Seal album

Shlara said...

Nancy Pelosi at the wiz v warriors game—sitting a few sections over from me. In the middle of the section, amongst the people

TR said...

I ate dinner two tables away from new Jets DC Gregggggg Williams tonight. So the Gheorghe crowd was near a whole lot of excellence tonight!

Dave said...

i took my dog to pub night. so lots of folks were two tables away from her tonight. i'm sure they were very excited.

Danimal said...

Mornin Gheorghies

zman said...

Roger Stone’s indictment reads like a spy novel. The Ecuadorian Embassy in London is involved for god’s sake. Truth is crazier than fiction.