Monday, January 14, 2019

Come Along Catch a Heffalump

If you've watched any television at all over the past several weeks, you've seen Apple's ad for the iPhone XR. It features a bouncy song and a flood of people doing parkour while wearing colorful jumpsuits. Here's an extended version:



I could swear that the first line of the song is 'Come along catch a heffalump'. Heffalumps, if you don't know, are imaginary elephanty creatures from Winnie the Pooh, objects of fear and anxiety for the denizens of the Hundred Acre Wood. Y'all know how I feel about Pooh.

So I went looking for the song. It's from the debut album by a British artist named Cosmo Sheldrake, a multi-instrumental musical talent. Here he is playing it live in studio:



I'll be damned. The first line really does feature a heffalump drop. Sheldrake also works in a couple of Jabberwocky references in the second stanza. Have a little fun today, Gheorghies.

9 comments:

TR said...

Not quite as cool as Plant dropping LOTR references in Ramble On, but neat.

I never knew that was an Apple commercial.

Whitney said...

There's no such thing as time to kill, nor time to throw away

Amen, Cosmo...

zman said...

Is a Heffalump the house sigil for Hufflepuff?

Whitney said...

I am digging this tune, Robert. Thanks for hoisting it into my acquaintance.

Curious if he actually played all the instrumentation or had them pre-programmed from digital tidbits. You know, as I build my music studio.

Whitney said...

And Hugh Heffalump would be an interesting mash-up of styles.

rob said...

the credits for the song suggest that he played many of the instruments himself. there are a handful of other artists credited, as well.

TR said...

As I was leaving my commuter ferry parking lot tonight in my car, a sedan came tearing out of a lane of parking and missed me by an inch. I saw it coming and had that split-second “alright, I’m about to get sideswiped” moment of realization. The car barely missed me, and then it stopped for a moment, realizing what it did.

I then broke into one of my most boisterous, yet least eloquent road rage moments of my life. I put the car in park, opened the door, turned to the driver and screamed “you’re a fucking asshole, motherfucker.” It probably looked like I wanted to fight. I didn’t want to fight. I wanted to go home and eat dinner. But I lost my mind for five seconds.

Road rage is a funny thing. Makes me bad at cursing. I’m much better at it when I have a moment to think.

zman said...

“Fuck you you fucking fuck. Wipe that face off your face.”

Marls said...

You should have offered him cool lessons.