Saturday, January 05, 2019

Hygge Not Drygges

As America yelled at itself today over whether we should be more outraged that a Congressional candidate referred to the President as a 'motherfucker' or the fact that he confessed to grabbing them by the pussy (among a list of grievances too long to chronicle in the time I've allotted myself today*), I found myself drawn to a Freakonomics podcast entitled How to Be Happy.

* At the risk of pulling back too much of the curtain and exposing long-standing secrets, I generally allot myself about 15 minutes to crank out a post. I don't edit much. Stream of conscious dipshittery is the best kind, I find.



The secret, it turns out, is hygge.

We'll let Meik Wiking explain. Wiking is the CEO of the Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen. Denmark is routinely ranked at the very top of the world's countries in the United Nations' annual World Happiness Report. (Dude's name is pronounced Mike Viking. That'd make me happy, too.)

Wiking defines hygge (pronounced hoo-guh) thusly, "So I think the best explanation of what hygge is, is the art of creating a nice atmosphere. So it’s about togetherness. It’s about pleasure. It’s about warmth. It’s about relaxation. And that is a key cornerstone of Danish culture. To Danes, hygge is perhaps what freedom is to the Americans."

It also involves candles, apparently. Listen to the podcast. It's fascinating.

The podcast goes on the explain that Danes have a significantly higher opinion of governmental institutions and closer societal bonds than many other developed nations. There's an implicit social trust that many Danes attribute to the extremely generous economic safety net made possible by the country's very high (50% of income, on average) individual income tax rates. That same taxation policy tends to depress income inequality, which also contributes to everyday Danes' sense of shared community.

All of which got me thinking about a conversation I had with my daughter's boyfriend over the holidays. He's a very sharp kid, a high-achieving student in a challenging STEM program. He also professes to be a communist. More of the live-on-a-commune kind of communist than a hammer and sickle command economy communist, as it turns out, but a communist nonetheless.

So I had some questions. I offered that I found that capitalism, while flawed, is the best system ever created in terms of raising the average standard of living in a population. Sure, I allowed, there are winners and losers in capitalist societies, and society has an obligation to those less fortunate, but the aggregate benefit is worth it, the rising tide that lifts the boats. He sees it differently. He's 17, so Winston Churchill's adage about conservatism and age applies to some degree, but his position wasn't whimsical - he's thoughtful and well-read on the topic. (Churchill didn't actually say the quote in question, but nobody comes here for accuracy.) We agreed to disagree about the practicality of society-wide communism, in the end.

But after learning more about the Danes and the balance they've struck, and how it contributes to the general welfare, I wonder if I'm right.

My daughter's boyfriend is tall and blond. I think he'd make an excellent Dane. He's got huge hygge.

44 comments:

Professor G. Truck said...

just put up a monster "park the bus" post.

http://box5689.temp.domains/~parkthe3/a-case-for-reading-novels-made-with-help-from-steven-johnson-and-george-eliot/

a couple g:tb easter eggs inside.

Professor G. Truck said...

capitalism is probably the best system for economic/technological advancement and human rights, but it may also be a one-way ticket to environmental disaster. enjoy the ride!

rob said...

my boss is generally moderate politically, but doesn't pay all that much attention to the noise of modern politics. yesterday, he walked into my office incredulous that alexandria ocasio cortez suggested that the top marginal tax rate should be 70%. when i shrugged my shoulders and said, 'why not'? he grew more animated, asking 'what country has ever been successful with that kind of tax rate'? he was a bit gobsmacked when i responded, 'the united states'. he didn't believe me until i showed him the history. in fact, the top rate in the u.s. was over 90% in the 1950s, and didn't drop below 70% until 1982 under saint ronald reagan.

i'm not advocating for cortez's policy. just suggesting that the amount of political and economic illiteracy on display among ostensibly intelligent, obviously successful people in this country is a barrier to rational conversation. right now there are allegedly credible political commentators suggesting on national television that cortez wants to tax all income at 70%. that's plain ignorance, whether willful or otherwise. we can't have real conversations about solutions to political and economic challenges if the actors are unwilling to acknowledge basic facts.

/end rant

zman said...

My father has more firsthand experience with communism than any of us or our childrens’ boyfriends/girlfriends. In his view communism is much better on paper than in practice.

rob said...

that was my argument to young jack.

Dave said...

stalin's five year plan looked great on paper. i had to show my brother-in-law the same 90 percent stat. it's ancient history.

Shlara said...

Feinstein giving Tribe hoops some love
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/hes-juggling-basketball-and-law-school-at-william-and-mary-and-whistling-all-the-way/2019/01/04/257ce91a-1037-11e9-8938-5898adc28fa2_story.html?utm_term=.836dc562f0b3

Whitney said...

Really good read, Dave. Thought-provoking... is there a correlation between the fact that you are my most well-read friend and make no wild eyebrow-raising decisions and you move through life sanely (since college) while I am your least well-read friend and my life is, as recently chronicled, flotsam and jetsam, and the single most unified choral chant sung my way by each of my exes is “Poor Choices”? Could be.

TR said...

There are some “daughter’s boyfriend” and “huge hygge” jokes that are waiting to be made...

T.J. said...

The Happiness Research Institute in Copenhagen plays a key role in “The Geography of Bliss”, a book I am actually reading right now. Entertaining travel memoir from a NPR guy. I now want to go to Bhutan.

zman said...

Gheorghe in Bhutan is a silent h festival.

zman said...

I don't know that communal/hygge culture could prosper here. I suspect that Danish culture is relatively homogeneous in a hygge way which allows them to propagate hygge-ish laws. Hygge might work in the NY/NJ area because it's culturally Dutch (read "American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America" by Colin Woodward) and likely closer to a Danish mentality than, say, Tidewater, Appalachia, or the Deep South.

Mark said...

You guys are being awfully intelligent for a Saturday.

Dave said...

i plan on dumbing it down later-- i'm cooking green chorizo tacos and whenever i cook, and i always consume way too much beer. and whit i'm pretty sure reading, teaching, and teaching reading has definitely tempered the college version of myself. that guy wasn't going to make it very far . . .

rob said...

sun came up after a dreary start to the day, and i jumped in my car just in time to hear sugar's 'if i can't change your mind' come on siriusxmu. if that ain't one of the top 5 pop guitar hooks of all-time, i don't know anything about anything. such a jam.

Whitney said...

What are the other 4?

Dave said...

you shook me all night long, where is my mind, rocks off, el scorcho, dirty girls

Whitney said...

Dirty Girls! I miss that song. I’ll have to cue it up.

Strong list, Dave.

Shlara said...

If I played in the MLB, You Shook Me All Night Long would be my walk up song

zman said...

Keith Richards disagrees with all of you. Shook Ones is a strong wake up song.

rob said...

it's a rhetorical question, whit. except to say that 'if i can't change your mind' is on the list.

rob said...

'i wanna hold your hand' is probably on the list, as well. it's the ur-hook.

Dave said...

it's cheesy as hell but "ain't talkin' about love" is a contender.

zman said...

Rocks Off, Monkey Man, Jumpin Jack Flash, Satisfaction, Gimme Shelter, Sympathy for the Devil, the list could go on. Keith Richards is the master of the guitar riff.

rob said...

is a riff the same as a hook?

Mark said...

Depends on your taste. A number of Rolling Stones hooks mentioned. And I’d go with “Some Girls”. Also, how are we defining “pop”.

TR said...

Next subject please...

Mark said...

Keep it going. Let TJ eat more knock off Cheez Balls.

zman said...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop-shop/6731053/greatest-catchiest-pop-hooks-ever

T.J. said...

I’m all out

And keep the hooks coming. TR is ready to move on but I’m in

TR said...

Oh Lord, Fox just illuminated a Theisman-esque break. Awful.

rob said...

is tr trying to kick out...the jams?

rob said...

i saw that billboard list. it's not exactly what i had in mind, but many of those are catchy.

and apropos of something, but i don't know what, 'walking on sunshine' is stuck in my head.

Mark said...

My mistake, Teej. And condolences on your lack of Utz cheez balls.

The phrase “walking in sunshine” will never not make me think of the duster Intervention episode. Never.

Mark said...

Walking ON sunshine. You get what I’m going for.

Mark said...

Also, Jim Irsay was super fucked up during that post game locker room speech. Right?

rob said...

'paper planes' by m.i.a. isn't guitar-driven, but it's hooky as hell. and there's 'stacy's mom' by fountains of wayne.

Mark said...

Are we just doing “catchy songs” now? You’re bastardizing your own list, Rob.

Dave said...

a hook is more chorusy and can be vocal-- i assumed rob screwed up and meant riff when he said hook . . . a riff is generally instrumental and outlines the chord structure of a song with notes, and often begins the song. the most famous riff of all time is "smoke on the water."

Mark said...

Nice defense, Gators. Fuck.

rob said...

it was a trick list, mark. the song in question has both a killer guitar riff and a hooky chorus.

TR said...

Dr. Evil appears to be wearing the #11 jersey for the Seahawks.

Mark said...

The Cowboys are much better than I thought they were a couple months ago. That defense is nasty and the offense fits with said defense quite well.

Whitney said...

Wait... wait... wait... Paper Planes by MIA???? Rob, you aren’t acknowledging the sample where that came from??? You’re too good a friend to lose you over this, but it may happen. Please tell me I misread that.