Thursday, December 14, 2023

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Seven

On the seventh day of Gheorghemas 

Big Gheorghe gave to me...

Seven Weeks of Sobriety*

I won’t bury the lede, though this sentence is a trip around the block before arriving. I haven’t had a beer in seven weeks and counting. 

That wouldn’t qualify as notable for many. For me, it’s practically a lifestyle change. I’ve quaffed a beer or three more days than not in recent years. It didn’t hinder my life, as I don’t operate heavy machinery or have to act responsibly in public settings. 

I enjoy beer. Ales, lagers, pilsners, micros, imports, a few darks, the occasional IPA if the edges are smoothed. There are few things I find more convivial than get-togethers with friends over beers. Even the voices in my head mostly get along when beer is involved. I view it as lubricant, not fuel. I didn’t intend to abstain or mark a dry-out period. 

A couple of things contributed. First, my wife has hip issues that severely limit her mobility. I am often her legs, running errands, getting things around the house for her, fetching takeout, cleaning, doing chores, tending to the dog, in addition to my own meager daily activities. Might I have been a little buzzed some evenings? I might. Could it have impaired me had she required significant assistance before bedtime or in the middle of the night? It could. Not ideal. 

Second, a couple months back, I woke up in the middle of the night with chest discomfort. I wouldn’t call it pain, but it was unusual and I couldn’t get back to sleep. I’ve written in this space about my heart issues. I have atrial fibrillation (an irregular heartbeat) and I had a pacemaker installed 18 months ago to regulate an abnormally low heartbeat. After I walked the dog at dawn, I woke my wife and told her something was amiss and that I would drive to the local hospital ER. I assured her I didn’t need an ambulance or medical transport, that I could carry myself. 

When I arrived and explained my situation, the nurses and orderlies hooked me up to monitors and drew blood. They said all my vital signs were good and if they didn’t know my heart history, they would have thought I was normal. Texted my wife to tell her so, and she reminded me to tell them that I had become her pool boy. When I told the nurse in charge, she essentially said, ‘Aha, there you have it.’ Even when you don’t think you’re stressed, she said, those kinds of changes and added responsibilities can manifest themselves physically. Said when stressed your stomach pumps extra acid that can work its way north into your system, particularly when you’re horizontal, and cause what feels like chest pain. 

I had been sitting up the entire time at the hospital, and the nurse asked: how have you felt the past hour or so? Fine, I said. They drew more blood to make sure the first round of results didn’t produce false readings. All good. Mystery solved. I remarked about not wanting to appear to be a hypochondriac, but they assured me that given my history I did the wise thing, annoying and inconvenient as it might be, and should do so again if it occurs. They cut me loose. 

After I got home, my wife and I talked about dialing back our alcohol consumption, for her physical condition until it can be remedied and for our health. I quit beer for a few days, which became a week, which became a second week, and another, and another. And here we are. 

*I should point out that I haven’t gone full Prohibitionist. I have a bottle of pretty fair Irish whisky and a few evenings I’ve poured a shot and sipped while reading or watching TV. Not much and not often. What can I say? I don’t do ascetic well. 

I’d like to tell you that I feel better during my beer hiatus, but I don’t know if that’s accurate. I suppose I could take satisfaction in a rare display of discipline but it feels like something I do, or don’t do, as part of the daily routine, like walking the dog or checking the mailbox. I’d like to say that cutting back on beer and booze has launched me toward some immutable truths, has provided clarity and focus. Except I’m as dim and scattered and muddled as ever. 

I sometimes wonder if the times actually lend themselves to drinking more or hooked up to a Jameson drip. Do I miss regular beer sessions? Sometimes. When I open the fridge, a handful of beers look up at me and nod imperceptibly. When I’m downstairs many times a day I pass beers on the floor patiently awaiting the trip upstairs. I’ll get to them at some point, along with beers unseen at various taverns. No telling when. We haven’t been very social of late, so there’s been no added temptation. Being the holiday season, there’s plenty of opportunity to indulge. Have one for me if you think about it. I’ll join you soon enough.

30 comments:

rob said...

y'all too busy daydrinking to respond to this post, huh?

T.J. said...

gotta tell you, this might be the most impressive batch of Gheorghemas posts we've seen in all the years of this made-up holiday

Whitney said...

Been feeling a bit like JB of late...

I must confess, I could use some rest, I can't run at this pace very long

But it's been about three and a half decades, and that momentum is hard to contain. I did Dry January last year, mostly. (Mostly.) But this tank runs hard over some pretty rough terrain. Always has. And it could use an extended stint in the shop to get the pistons firing again.

(Hey Z- Do tanks have pistons? Not likely.)

Good food for thought, OBXD. One to grow on.

rob said...

most tanks do, in fact, use piston engines.

zman said...

Tanks for fielding that one for me rob.

zman said...

I have wildly reduced my alcohol intake over the past 3 years and I get better sleep, take better shits (why do we say "take" when we really leave them?), and wear smaller pants.

Mark said...

I plan to dial it back a bit post holidays though I generally don't drink a ton during the week. The weekends get me from time to time though. Your boy did get a promotion today so I may have a couple.

rob said...

i'm gonna have a couple for mark. big ups.

T.J. said...

totally just congratulated mark on a text chain with his wife and mine. And apparently I broke the news to his wife. Oops

OBX dave said...

Just read that The Clash's "London Calling" was released on this date, Dec. 14, 1979, in the U.K. A month later here in the Colonies. Salute.

Professor G. Truck said...

i too have decreased my alcohol consumption-- I blame the stupid huberman lab podcast on alcohol and the fact that we are getting fucking old. but I will have another glass of wine to celebrate mark's promotion . . .

rob said...

i am i the only one who didn't know that nick kroll's dad was the dude who built the "risk and financial advisory solutions" (read: investigative) mega-company that bears their last name?

Dave said...

you are not the only one. i don't even know who nick kroll is.

rob said...

i suspect you know his voice.

rob said...

i've got elevated stress levels at the moment. self-inflicted, to be sure, but a little bit o' grandpa's old cough medicine doesn't hurt most evenings.

zman said...

Nick Kroll is the guy from The League and Big Mouth. I had no idea that he was a Kroll Kroll.

rootsminer said...

I gathered with some w&m lambos from my era last weekend in honor of juan moritz' impending 50th.

A couple of the guys were drinking NA beer. I had to go a little hard on Fats to get him to ease up on them about not drinking. Doing it less isn't an option for everyone.

Congrats to Mark, and shame on teej for blowing up his news.

Shlara said...

Embrace the journey OBXDave
And cheers to Mark on the promotion

Also, to follow up on the comments from Day 6 about this dumb idea Ted has to move the basketball & hockey team to my neighborhood: I hate it so much for so many reasons. I may even write a post after Gheorghemas to outline all of those reasons.

OBX dave said...

First, congrats, Mark. I'd be interested to read or hear what the promotion entails, as I remain fascinated by other people's jobs and how they do them. Might be only me.

Second, thanks, Shlara. Weird thing about this is it doesn't feel like a crusade or some self-improvement pivot. Just kind of adjustment due to current landscape, like a detour around a construction zone. I may simply embody booze inertia -- drinker at rest remains at rest, drinker in motion pours another, and another ...

And speaking of detours and construction zones, I'd be interested in a possible post on Ted L. and his state-subsidized boondoggle.

Whitney said...

Nice, Mark!

rob said...

suck it, rudy

rob said...

lotta giuliani fans up in here, then?

Mark said...

OBX Dave - For the past nearly 3 years I've worked at a healthcare software company. I spent the previous 15 working in Home Healthcare (Nursing, Therapies, etc) for one of the largest companies in that industry. Essentially, I was a pharma rep but for in home medical care. My current company provides the software for agencies in my former industry.

I've worked with our existing customer base (we're in over 40 states) to optimize their software solutions and add to them when needed while also spearheading the sales efforts for our Revenue Cycle Management division.

My company has undergone some major changes over the past 2 years and is rolling out tons of new tech and has a pretty aggressive growth plan. With that in mind, they've created a growth division and I've been tapped to be one of the leaders of it. I'll still be involved in sales but I'll also have a book of large scale accounts that I work very closely with. So, a bit of a hybrid role but one that I'm excited about. It's going to be challenging and there will be a learning curve to be sure but it's along the lines of what I've been asking for.

rob said...

that's dope, man. congratulations.

OBX dave said...

Hey Mark, sounds pretty cool, useful and potentially lucrative. From what little I understand about healthcare software, it's electronic systems and files for professionals and patients for medical history, treatments, test results, meds, etc., yes?

Are there a lot of companies in that racket? How does it differ from one company to the next? Why is one better than another? Aren't files and records pretty standard once it goes electronic and digital? I'll hang up and listen.

mr kq said...

It's all ball bearings nowadays.

rob said...

jeremy sochan, interesting player, or the most interesting player in the world?

rob said...

just trying to ask questions like obx dave.

Mark said...

I’m a Sochan fan. Not saying he’s Draymond but he has Draymond -ish capabilities. Not a point guard though, that’s for sure. Not sure what Pop is doing there, I mean besides tanking

zman said...

Don't forget about Joe Biden's Vette!