Thursday, December 30, 2021

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day 8.5 - Three Genetic Tests

There normally isn't an eight-and-a-halfth day of Gheorghemas but much like Biggie I got a story to tell.  Three stories to tell, in fact, about genetic tests.   

zwoman wanted to find out what breeds are in her dog so I got her Embark for Christmas.  It was $30 off on Amazon so the scam was less painful.  And it's clearly a scam.  I guarantee Embark is run by a couple of guys like FOG:TB Pip who bullshit their way through the test.  They make you send a picture of your dog, where you live, where the dog came from, and the organization that sold you the dog.  With that information anyone could come up with a believable profile.

Here's the photo she gave them:


She's clearly part lab.  The shape of her head and the fact that she was a stray dog found in Crawfordville, GA make it likely that she's part pitbull (and not, say, Nova Scotia Duck Toller).  I thought she might be part foxhound because she makes some goofy noises and has a houndish tail.

The jamokes at Embark did the same analysis.  

Jamoke 1:  "Oh!  Look at dis fuggin mutt!  It's a fuggin lab and a fuggin pitbull!" 

Jamoke 2: "Yeah, the fuggin thing is from Jorja, what else could it be?  But we gotta trow in sumdin else ta spice it up.  Where's this chooch owner from?"

Jamoke 1: "Lessee ... ooooh, Chaddim New Jerzy!  Dey don't wanna hear dey have a Presa Canario, das for Newark.  Let's trow in some Jermin Sheppid."

Jamoke 2: "Done.  Let's fuck wit em and trow in some bullshit.  How about Supermutt?"

Jamoke 1: "Hahahaha.  Dis job is great.  I can't buhleev deez stoonads in Morris Cowney pay us to do dis shit!"

And here's what we got:


Our apparent lab/pitbull is indeed a lab/pitbull, with a 15% grab-bag of canine bullshit mixed in.  The story at our local dog park is the same--people with obvious mixes will tell you "We did Embark and we got [obvious mix] but she's also 5% Chow!"  Or Chihuahua or Dalmatian or whatever.  Sir Viv (named after a cricketer) across the street is also 10% Supermutt.  It's a blatant scam.

I knew we would get what we expected, with perhaps a minor twist, because zmom took a genetic test a little while ago.  She is English, Irish, Scottish, and Dutch and her father was from North Carolina, and 23andMe told her she is English, Irish, Scottish, and Dutch with relatives who settled in North Carolina.  The surprise was a small percentage of German--apparently the Browns were Brauns a few hundred years ago.  A surprise for zmom, but not for me, is that she is not Native American.  Much like Elizabeth Warren, my mother claims that her great-great-grandmother was half Native American (yes, it would be easier to say that her great-great-great-grandparent was Native American but if you've met zmom you know she can't do that math).  So just as zwoman's dog is part German Shepherd (and not foxhound as I expected), zmom and I are part German (and not Native American as she expected).

All this is to say that genetic tests are not an interesting way to spend your money.

My third story is the exception to this rule.  zstepfather's brother took a 23andMe test and the results said he's half Jewish.  He felt this is not the case--they are WASPs and maybe part Danish or something Scandinavian like that.  He took another test and he was still a Jew so he did some sleuthing through his mother's files (they all have OCD and save everything, including empty tubes of Preparation H, and I guess he acquired the habit through non-genetic means and kept his dead parents' diaries etc.) and learned that while the man he thought was his father was stationed in Hawaii during WWII, his mother had an unprotected fling with some Jewish guy.  She flew out to Honolulu and came clean and to his credit her husband raised the child as his own.  But he wasn't happy about it.  zstepfather's brother said "I guess this is why he was so mean to me."  Indeed.  He was a generally grumpy guy and miserable to be around.  I don't know if this is the source of his behavior or if it merely enhanced his inherent crotchetiness but either way I get it.  It's a cross between The Corrections and The Lies That Bind.  

My advice this Gheorghemas is to avoid these types of tests.  Save your money and just be happy with who you are or who your dog is. 

27 comments:

rootsminer said...

Good advice, Z. And I doff my cap at your ability to write in fluent Jamoke. It's truly impressive.

rob said...

and don't fuck jewish dudes while your husband is away?

zman said...

I mean, ideally you should keep your hands to yourself regardless of whether or not your spouse is away.

Whitney said...

My uncle (mom’s brother) spent a lot of money researching our family lineage about 5 years before it became cheap and easy to spit in a tube get your deets in a week. I guess the plus side is that he has names as well, and some were amusingly unusual.

Anyway, he learned that despite a long-standing Episcopalian bent in our tree that includes some Episcopal priests, we’ve got some Jewish heritage. And some Jamaican!

It makes sense to me. I live in a neighborhood heavily populated by orthodox Jewish folks and I enjoy the reefer.

Whitney said...

Also, don’t do 23andMe if you are a serial killer or have one in your family you don’t want caught. I learned that from the documentary about Patton Oswalt’s late wife, I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. (Great, horrifying watch.)

Whitney said...

My honey my baby, don't put my love upon no shelf
She said don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself

zman said...

The only cool thing I ever did involves that song.

rob said...

step show?

rootsminer said...

Was that Zauction song?

Mine was "Whip It", and I'm sure my drunken whip cracking was horrendous.

I occasionally recall and regret instigating Heavy Doug McD's performance to Howlin' Wolf's "Built for Comfort". Though I must admit, the visual of a fat guy in ski goggles peddling his wares to that song was pretty funny.

rob said...

thinking about y'all, tr. stay safe.

zman said...

I actually did perform in a step show but that involved "Just the Two of Us" by Chubb Rock and "Scenario" by A Tribe Called Quest. "Birthday" by the Beatles was my pledge auction song (because it occurred on my birthday).

I talked my way onto the stage at Senor Frog's in Cancun in 1996 along with a flock of shitfaced idiots, some of whom may or may not hang out here, to perform "Keep Your Hands To Yourself." The gatekeeper only allowed sassy ladies on the stage and he told me my song choice was going to suck but he changed his mind when I busted out the Georgia Satellites.

Danimal said...

This UT PU game is bonkers.

My post in waiting introduces you to an auction site called ezbidders.com. The latest auction which is in process for 6 more days is worth at least 30 min of your time and especially if you live near Leesburg.
The auction is worth a few posts in itself...would love to hear theories on the life of the dame that wants to unload this cache.
If you Shlara or the wives nearby like nice stuff including White House Christmas ornaments or wear size 8 shoes, or have an affinity for hip sunglasses, check it out.

Mark said...

The music city bowl was bananas. And I hate Tennessee (I think you all know this by now) but they got boned.

Unrelated, I too recently watched Icarus and it’s crazy. And good. I also watched I’ll Be Gone in the Dark and it’s also really good. And really fucked up.

Our friends whose kid got sick and ended up in the hospital on Xmas, which resulted in the cancellation of our New Orleans trip brought their kid home a couple of days ago. She’s all good. Unfortunately, their 17 year old dog died yesterday. Bad fucking holidays for that group. So we went over tonight and cooked food and had cocktails and let the kids run around and make s’mores. Life can really suck sometimes but friends can make it just a little bit better.

Whitney said...

Mark, that’s a pisser for them. Glad about the daughter. And that last line is 100%.

Gamecocks knocked off the Tar Heels in the Duke’s Mayonnaise Bowl yesterday. I watched it at the Dirty Buffalo with one of my girls while we wolfed down sweet sriracha wings and garlic lemon pepper fries. I know they’re not on par with some of the storied programs out there, but I like that at last I have a reasonably big time football team to root for now, and that I have a pair of kids who’ll root alongside me. ‘Twas good fun.

Marls said...

Day 9 upcoming today.

In the interim, related to genetic testing, the dad (named Al) of a close friend from Long Island used a 23andme test. This is a family that prides itself on their ITALIAN/Sicilian bona fides.

The results cam back mostly as expected except for 10% North African and 10% Middle Eastern. Al longer believes in the validity of genetic testing and and his kids call him Al Qaeda.

zman said...

“Oh! What da fug! Fug dis fuggin boolshit!”

I assume he didn’t see True Romance, else he would have different views on his Sicilian heritage.

rob said...

tribe are 10-point dogs at home against northeastern. i can't imagine w&m beating that number, but i couldn't imagine them beating hofstra on wednesday, so i'm not offering an opinion.

Whitney said...

The man with no opinion can never be proven wrong but has already proven himself valueless. — Aristotle

Whitney said...

RIP Betty White just shy of 100

rob said...

the last thing she saw was you being mean to me. shame, that.

Whitney said...

That was actually a Betty White quote that I attributed to Aristotle to give it some gravitas. My mistake, evidently.

Mark said...

If Al knew anything about Sicily these results would make a lot of sense.

Mark said...

It's the wife's birthday and she had some lunch cocktails with work friends. Then she took a nap. Currently trying to get her up to meet Greg and his wife and some other friends. Not going great thus far.

Whitney said...

T-R-I-B-E, baby!

rob said...

my 17 year-old is still in bed from last night. respect.

Dave said...

ok, i will not investigate my dog's lineage. my guess is pitbull, lab and beagle and i'll just go with that. i'd kind of like to do 23andme, however. my mom thought she was a lot sicilian and hungarian but there was a bunch of greek . . . but i guess it's all the same, right?

rob said...

my dog looks like a black lab and barks like a hound. the dna suggested she was a combination of black lab, hound, retriever, and german shepherd.