Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Twelve Days of Gheorghemas: Day Seven

On the seventh day of Gheorghe-mas, Big Gheorghe gave to me:

Seven Books for Reading

Six Top Episodes of Ted Lasso

Five Beers and Tunes

Four Resolutions

Three Gheorghemas Gifts to Give Yourself

Two Stones of Weight Loss (Your Mileage May Vary)

and Running Gags with Quatro Kitties

I don't think I'm making any specific resolutions for 2022 . . . if there's one thing we've all learned in the past few years, it's that things are too unpredictable to decide on anything for your future self. Although I will resolve to remind Rob to read more and get off social media-- if there's one thing we all know, it's that social media is a disastrously absurdist shitshow that in no way represents any kind of reality. I stay off it completely and utterly-- I don't even post my sentence on Facebook because I won't go there (some bot might post my sentence on Twitter, not sure).

I also resolve to never get a Peloton . . . so I guess I am making some resolutions. Anti-resolutions? I'm glad Zman lost weight and Rob is in good shape but I like going to an actual gym. It inspires me when I see other people working out, I get bored easily and like to switch up what I'm doing, and I like ogling women. But I really should have invested in Peloton stock: everyone I know has ponied up for one of those contraptions.

Rob should definitely read Deacon King Kong and those Soccer IQ books. And he should definitely be less angry at the state of the world; if you stay off social media and stop hating unvaccinated people . . . and wow do a lot of my fellow teachers like to hate on unvaccinated people-- and instead, you look at people as the victims of misinformation, political wedge issues, polarization, and too much competing information, you'll realize there's not much to hate. And that the call might be coming from inside the house. Anyway, on to the books . . .

I'm proud to say I read 52 books this year-- so far-- the first time I've read over fifty since I've been keeping count. I might get to 53 but it's going to be tough going, I'm in an 800 page Neal Stephenson sic-fi tome. Staying off social media helps my reading (although I think I'm addicted to online chess . . . an addiction that replaced my addiction to low stakes Texas Hold'em . . . stupid internet.)

Here are my seven favorites I read thsi year:

1) The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix

Read everything by this guy. He's the post-modern Stephen King. Final Girl Support Group is the most recent, but I also highly recommend Horrorstör . . . a haunted house story set in an IKEA. He does a great job with Southern culture and page-turning macabre fun.


This book is such a brilliant idea: Shapiro analyzes eight American Shakespeare productions in eight different periods of American history. Each production reflects the politics and predilections of the times-- and they often evoke our darkest sins in a way that we can handle and discuss: incest, suicide, adultery, racism, sexism, class warfare, democracy, tyranny, etc. Far more fun than going on social media and debating current politics.

3. Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker

One of the best books on mental illness ever written.


THE best book on Action Park ever written. Careens between the zaniness of Gene Mulvihill's insane vision for the park, nostalgic memories of his son working at the park, the actual danger and mayhem that happened in the park, and the rides and their designers. 


Excellent essays (and five-star reviews) on things as various as air-conditioning, Canadian geese, lawns, Rick Ankiel and Jerzy Dudek. 

6) The Last Policeman by Ben H. Winters

An asteroid is going to hit the earth and pretty much end civilization and people are reacting as expected, aside from Henry Castle-- a detective on the Concord, New Hampshire police force. As the world falls apart around him, he continues to chase clues and solve mysteries. I read all three books in the series and recommend them all, BUT if you're looking for something apocalyptic, then go watch Mad Max: Fury Road . . . if you want a slow burn and a really perspicacious look at how things might fall apart before the apocalypse, search no further. 


Read this book then watch the movie.

12 comments:

OBX dave said...

Dave's book recs are always a favorite Gh'mas post for me. Concur on Deacon King Kong and Nomadland.

FWIW, I tackled Dune recently. I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, but gave it a go 'cause it's classic and all that. Really well-told tale, and almost jarringly prescient and resonant for today in some spots, considering it was written in early '60s.

zman said...

I loathe actual gyms. Here in Jerzy you will often find meatheads covered in chalk dust with wrapped knees sitting on their friend's back and screaming encouragement while their friend does donkey calf raises. Just too many meatheads from the GTL set.
I also find common equipment disgusting, even before the current plague. And our local YMCA has a member who likes to shower with the curtain open, facing outwards while he slowly soaps his pecs and genitals, clocking every other person in the shower area. This is, of course, all up Dave's alley but I'll stick to my basement.

Whitney said...

Elon and Duke square off today. Blue Devils -27. Doesn’t seem like enough.

Professor G. Truck said...

central jersey gyms are not like north jersey gyms. and the common equipment is part of the strength training-- you strengthen your immune system.

rob said...

i read dune a lonnng time ago. suppose i should have another go at it. need another partially-read book on my side table.

rob said...

wasn't enough, whit. phoenix lost by 31.

rob said...

might not be enough for kentucky, either. they're bodying carolina by 33 with five minutes left.

Marls said...

I’m assuming that YMCA member was TR prior to moving to CO.

Whitney said...

You can do whatever you feel…

Whitney said...

We miss TR ‘round these parts

rootsminer said...

I also resolve to not get a peloton. We have mild enough weather here that i can commute by bike year round, and get some spandex wrapped miles in on the road bike too.

I love my local ymca. The mix of people I interact with there is something I really value, and the chalkdusty meathead faction is typically not there. Plus I don’t have room for a home gym.

I’ve had eight people in my house this weekend. It’s been great to have them, but I’m tired of the endless cooking and cleaning cycle.

Mark said...

I spent most of the weekend in St Augustine. It’s quite crowded this time of year but it’s very festive and we did the historic/touristy shit with the kids as well. Twas a good way to start the week before Xmas. Now I’m cursing at the Bucs from my couch.