Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Progressive Irish Celebration

Audience-participation post in honor of our Irish brothers and sisters. I'll start with the one you'd expect from me.



Whitney

The photo at right takes me back to a St. Pat's that lives in infamy. The sad, sobering story of that long, long day shan't be told in these annals, but is rather shared along with a couple of pints with a trusted friend.  The event was called The Saint Patrick's Day Massacre, and it's never related above a furtive murmur. But when someone forwarded me a pic of this pin this week, it all came rushing back. Be safe, lads and lasses, and may the road rise to you. But not so quickly that your face is smashed by the pavement.

Now back to the music and your regschedipshit.

Marls: I’ll add a bit of 1990’s NYC dipshittery to the mix:



9 comments:

rootsminer said...

I'm not much for Irish music, but here's a favorite Charlie Poole tearjerker of mine : Leaving Dear Old Ireland

As to the "meme song" lamentation on the previous post, I've struggled with that too. I've finally reached the stage of acceptance - at least the memes are imparting some level of cultural awareness amongst our youth. I know my kids don't want to sit down and have me spin the music I like to edify their ears.

Danimal said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day people. I write from my sister's house outside of Winchester, the one with the 11 kids. We had corned beef and cabbage last night, and tonight it's lamb stew - the lamb coming from the back yard.
Back in their Heydey, this was their day, my parents that is. And this will be the first without them. Raise a Jam-o or a Bushmills or both, in their honor this eve should you imbibe. We shall do the same, often.

rob said...

slainte, danny

Marls said...

Cheers Danny Boy. The pipes...the pipes.

Let us know if you are heading back L-burg way.

rob said...

i was wondering if we'd see the funky ceili in the mix

Unknown said...

Danny boy, here's to ya.

Mark said...

We had my parents over for dinner and Dan’s comment makes me especially thankful. We don’t do corned beef and cabbage. Instead we do salmon and potatoes as my grandfather (who I never met) insisted it was more traditional from where he came in Ireland.

Was a great evening with some Guiness and Jameson to boot. Happy St Patrick’s day from the son of a Patrick who’s got Patrick as a middle name.

Cheers to you and yours, Dan. Hoping today was more soothing than sad.

TR said...

I won a paddle match and drank yellow American beer. I am back home and out of scotch b/c I drink it too quickly. But I am thinking of you, Dannyboy. Hopefully you'll get your own family traditions rolling that honor your folks.

rob said...

if you're a fanduel user, make sure you get in on the free money by taking michigan state to cover the promotional line. at last view, sparty was getting 69.5 points against ucla.