Tuesday, March 02, 2021

Dave is the Master?

A few weeks ago, Whitney posted a timeline of how his friend recorded a song and video-- a song with lyrics written by Whit-- in five days. 

I was really jealous. Or envious? I didn't want to storm into an apartment and strangle an adulterous ex-lover in post-coital bliss, and I loved the song. Maybe that's envious?

Anyway, the fact that they got this done in five days boggles my mind. I dabble in audio recording and I NEVER finish anything.  I use Logic on my iMac and it's a black hole of effects and AI drummers and digital instruments and extremely powerful tools. It's way over my head.

I'm often staring at screens like this, sliding things and clicking things. These various moves make a BIG difference in the way things sound. And while I've watched a view instructional videos-- usually while riding the exercise bike-- I don't really know what I'm doing. People get paid for this kind of thing.


Once you've recorded all your tracks and you're happy with how things sound-- you've compressed and EQed and all that-- then you've got to mix stuff. Pan things left and right-- get all the levels to the correct volume, and listen to the track on both speakers, computer speakers, and headphones (and maybe even in the car).



THEN-- apparently-- there's another step that I never really figured out, called "mastering." This is when you take that final mix of the track and prepare it to be distributed and played on various media. You can do this in Logic, but you need to know how to use the following tools-- and really use them, not just screw around with them.

EQ
Compression
Multiband Compression
DeEssers
Reverb
Stereo Wideners
Limiters

I have a passing familiarity with these tools so I tried to do my own mastering in Logic a few weeks ago with a "song" I made based on one of Zman's comments on Sentence of Dave. Apparently, if you write a comment that's funny enough, I'll write a song about it. The result was okay, but I definitely didn't know what I was doing. 

First, you squeeze with compression, then you maximize! Don't forget the exciter! Get rid of the low end on the bus reverb BEFORE you use Multiband Compression! 

Here's the final product.

This video was actually kind of useful and less overwhelming. "Use the limiter last so your beat don't sound like trash." Thanks Courtney!



Anyway, this was difficult and exhausting, to say the least. It's a race against time because your ears get tired and can no longer differentiate or remember between what you've done. Usually, artists hand their stuff off to a professional for mastering. 

There is another option: mastering software. My friend Neal recommended iZotope Ozone 9, a plugin that has a lot of AI mastering options. He calls it "the turd polisher" because it takes a musical turd and cleans it up (as much as possible). It's kind of expensive, but I qualified for an educational discount so I got it for half price . . . $132. It was money well spent. I still don't understand half of it-- or maybe 90% of it-- but there are enough presets and automated elements to help me play around. And then you've got to trust your ears (and use reference tracks). 

Here's one screen (there are lots of these).


Now that I've "mastered' a couple of songs, I can't listen to any of my old songs. They sound muddy and not loud enough. So I've got to go back and "master" those. Yeesh.

This is still not going to help me finish songs all that much faster. I'm always tackling things that are a little beyond me. My newest song is inspired by all the Vietnam movies that I've rewatched with my kids. It's good to revisit that clusterfuck. It reminds you that being in lockdown isn't nearly as bad as being a POW in 'nam. There was no Netflix in the shit.

I wanted to incorporate some samples from Paul Hardcastle's song "19" in my song. "19" was released way back in 1985, when I was fifteen-- and it's stuck with me. Not only did I want some samples from the "19," and a reflection on what it's like to be 19 years old and across the world, mired in a morass of a war with no clear mission, no clear communication, and a major gap between what was happening on the ground and what was being discussed by the brass, but I also wanted the center of the song to feel like a trip to a foreign place.

If you want to read something to understand this, I recommend Mark Bowden's Hue 1968: A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam. He recounts the Tet Offensive, the capture of the ancient provincial capital city of Hue by the North Vietnamese, and the ensuing epic 24-day battle waged by the Marines and the ARVN to recapture the city . . . the book is a monumental day-by-day account of the heroism, atrocities, propaganda, misinformation, strategy, blunders, civilian casualties, destruction of ancient wonders, Communist purges, political failures, and-- amidst great effort and honor-- the futility of top-down command in warfare. I've read a bunch of Vietnam books and this is my favorite. I've also heard Apocalypse Now is a decent movie.

Here is my Vietnam song. It took WAY longer than five days to make (and I'll probably hear something weird in it and pull it down a week from now!) I wish I could just record something and move on to the next thing, but there are so many buttons and dials and switches and things. I just get lost. Lost in the jungle.




           19 (Revisited)

I can't breathe, I'm on the run--
It's all green, but I've got my gun.

I can't see, I'm in the mud--
the flies buzz around my blood

O Lord he is gone
across the world in Vietnam,
Lord I know my son is gone,
MIA in Vietnam

I'm nineteen, I've had my fun--
nineteen, it's been a damn good run . . .

O Lord he is gone
across the world in Vietnam,
Lord I know my son is gone,
MIA in Vietnam


20 comments:

rootsminer said...

Mastering is weird. Impossible to describe, but essential to making it sound right.

A friend of mine who was in Vietnam in 1970-71 came by my shop yesterday, and started telling a few stories (he can go for hours if you don't stop him). Apparently heroin was cheap and plentiful, and a lot of soldiers got hooked quickly. He smoked some on the last night before he came home, and described it just like you read about.

TR said...

I love all things Bowden, but I found Hue to be a little bit of a slog. I liked it, but I liked it less than all of his other books. I just finished his most recent (I think) book, The Last Stone.

The idea of doing any of that mastering/mixing is foreign to me.

Rootsy has some interesting friends.

Whitney said...

Happy Birthday, Dave!

Juan Carlos said...

I recorded a guitar riff on Garage Band last week. It was the first time recorded anything since the early 90's when I used a Fostex 4-track.

Both the playing and the audio quality were terrible.

It took me years to get the motivation to plug everything in. How long will it take me to make it sound good?

On a happier, more head-banging note, I learned how to play "For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)".

This cannon blast goes out to Dave on his b-day.

zman said...

zdaughter started taking guitar lessons. She can play the right notes in the right order but the times are all wrong. You can kinda recognize "Louie Louie" but everything else is strained. "Seven Nation Army" and "Back in Black" are not her best songs.

Mark said...

My kid started taking drum lessons. She likes it but it’s going to be some time before she even approaches decent.

Dave said...

"louie louie" is supposed to be off-kilter, so she's got that one down. i will check out "the last stone" . . . but perhaps "hue" is supposed to be a slog-- you're in the shit!

i am now precisely three times my older son's age . . .

TR said...

In 17 years, you’ll only be twice his age. So you got that going for you.

rob said...

51 is olllld

OBX dave said...

Might interest listeners, especially hip-hop devotees. Feech on late Houstonian DJ Screw, who pioneered a languid, slowed-down vibe that blew up -- Screw Music. Story includes sample playlist.

https://bittersoutherner.com/southern-perspective/2021/dj-screw-houston-chopped-screwed

rootsminer said...

Happy birthday Dave. 51 isn't that old.

Who is behind the conspiracy that make Seven Nation Army a standard guitar song?

My 17 year old slept through a scheduled zoom meeting with a teacher yesterday, and would have slept through his evening workout had I not gotten home in time to wake him. This morning I put a very loud, old school alarm clock at the bottom of the stairs to make sure that both kids were up in time for their first class (at 10:45). They were not amused, but also not late.

TR - my interesting friend dropped me off four tape cases of dead and associated bootlegs, since he's converted them all to cd. I'll never make it through all of them, but it's a treasure trove.

TR said...

That’s a nice gift. You should put them in a cassette case holder, sorted by date, and hang it on the wall to impress chicks.

rootsminer said...

They’re already sorted by date order, and I’m too grown up and married for any chick who’s going to be impressed by that.

rootsminer said...

Also, burn one down for Bunny Wailer.

Unknown said...

Dave, I meant to mention that I use the website/service called Landr for mastering and distribution.

Dave said...

ahh . . . the cassette holder

TR said...

On the contrary, Rootsy, you are not too grown up for a woman impressed by cassettes.

rob said...

rootsy pretending any of us is grown up and whitney misspelling grindr on the same night. come on, y’all.

TR said...

US debt just went over $28 Trillion. Divide that by 330 MM (the US population), and you get to per capita debt of over $84,800. That’s each of you numbskulls and each of your kids.

Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

(1)Ex back.
(2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
(3)You want to be promoted in your office.
(4)Pregnancy spell.
(5)Win a court case.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341