Thursday, March 04, 2021

Not Fizzling Out

I've listened to a wide array of music styles and genres for a very long time. Clearly. Clearly. Clearly. Makes me happy and rarely bored with music.

If I had to pick one subcategory of rock and roll that's occupied my listening choices for the best part of my last 25 years, though, the somewhat abandoned moniker of "alt-country" (or alt.country for the geekiest among you) probably wins the day.  From Uncle Tupleo (of course) through decades of Wilco and less of SonVolt, to our beloved revolutionary sweethearts the Old 97's to the Jayhawks and Ryan Adams, and hell, the Avetts and Drive-By Truckers are pretty much alt-country, and hell, Sturgill and Isbell and Jenny Lewis and even the Cowboy Junkies, and even Neko Case sometimes, and . . .you get it. A lot of stuff I like.

A band I only sorta tuned into along the way was the Bottle Rockets, one o' them outfits that's equal parts Missouri and Misery. I knew and loved the songs "1000 Dollar Car" and "Indianapolis" and a handful of tunes off their first three albums. Our fratre Ethan/Herb got me into Bloodshot Records and artists on that label for a brief spell. Plus, I am partial to bottle rockets. You know, since I was suspended in 1985 for igniting one inside the school hall.

Oh, and the Bottle Rockets did an album called Songs of Sahm as a tribute to Doug Sahm and the Sir Douglas Quintet, whom Z gave some adulation.

They are quite     good.  Or . . . they were.

On social media as of yesterday:

It’s with a sad heart that we announce this uneasy news: Brian has decided to retire from the Bottle Rockets. Although he’s in good health, he’s been feeling the passage of time and has lost interest in anything that distracts from or takes him away from home. Unfortunately, this means the Bottle Rockets can’t continue as we know it. This is a difficult and emotional outcome for the band, and we share the sense of loss over this ending, but it can also be framed as an opportunity for new directions.

We appreciate our fans, many who have become dear friends over the years, and we thank you for the wonderful 28-year adventure. It was a thrill and we couldn’t have asked for better people to share it with! We sincerely couldn't have done it without your loyal support -- the music lives on through you.

Forever Grateful,

The Bottle Rockets

Message from Bottle Rockets singer Brian Henneman...
Well friends, it’s time. Time to say “so long”. I’m givin’ it up. Packin’ it in. Retiring. I’m done. Been thinkin’ about it this entire time off. I’m more certain of it than anything I’ve ever been certain of before. I’m turning 60 this year. Including my time with Uncle Tupelo, I have been doing this recording/touring thing for 30 years. I don’t consider myself too old to do it anymore, but I do consider myself too old to want to.

Every musician has their own shelf life for doing what they do. Some go on into their 80’s, some quit in their 20’s and never look back. Ol’ Number 60, that’s me. 60 o’clock, that’s quittin’ time for this guy. Kickin’ off my travelin’ shoes and slippin’ on my house shoes. Home is where my passion lies these days. That excites me now the way the band used to.

I have no problem at all with the band. That’s not why I’m leaving. It’s all about where I’m at on the walk of life. I no longer want to travel, don’t really have any burning desire to write songs anymore either. I just want to be a good husband. A good neighbor. A responsible homeowner. A little dog’s daddy. A guitar repairman. A guitar player in my kitchen, and in some local country cover band whenever that scene comes back around. That’s how I want to spend the rest of my days. I want to be home for supper and home for bedtime. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall. I want to experience a “normal life” just as badly now as I did NOT want to in my youth. While I’m still healthy enough to enjoy it. Before I get ancient and impaired. Things change. That’s life. I’m ready and eager for change. Being home for a solid year made me certain of it. I don’t want to miss ANYTHING here anymore.

Mark, John, and Keith all understand where I’m at. That’s such a relief. But they’re damn good guys. The best. Those guys have been the greatest partners a man could ever have. Dedication. Devotion. Turnin’ all the night time into the day. No tellin’ what’s next for them, but knowin’ them like I do, I’d say the sky’s the limit. They all have the musical skills to do anything. A truly “hot shit” band. And, unlike me, they still have the desire to get out there and do it. And they are ULTRA professionals. Keep an eye out for ‘em. I wouldn’t be one bit surprised to see them show up in phenomenal places. I am rooting for them. Them’s my boys. My team. My life partners. Please support them. I know I will. They are the longest running members the band ever had for a reason. They’re the best on so many levels. I love them forever.

Gotta salute Robert Kearns, Tom Parr, and Tom Ray too. All were members of the band I’m bidding farewell to. Everybody did a great job in their own time, in their own way. Everybody.

I gotta be honest, I’m not sad that this is really finally happening. It was bound to happen someday. What does make me kinda sad is that it’s already that day. WTF??? Where did that time go??? See? That’s my point. That’s what made me go through with this. Knowing how the time goes SO fast. I wanna get goin’ on this next phase, before it passes me by as fast as everything else did. I’ve finally reached an age where things get urgent. Available decades are gettin’ slim. Gotta find what you REALLY want and go for it. So I did.

I want to sincerely thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You all supported us for so long. I will never forget that, or take it lightly. I am forever humbled and grateful. It’s been fun, but now it’s done. Surprise ending, yes. But the band had a surprise beginning too, so it seems that’s just how we roll. Maybe the band’s not done at all. Who knows? I just know I won’t be in it. ‘Cause I’m done.

With a year off, and nothing on the books, this was the perfect intersection of time and timing. There would never be a time when leaving would disrupt less. That’s why I did it now. Didn’t wanna make a big deal outta my big deal. Wanted it to be as painless as possible.

So this is where the cowboy rides away. Goodnight now ladies and gentlemen. It’s the end of the show, now it’s time to go.

Maybe I’ll see ya at Home Depot or somethin’…

Brian
Wel'p... that about says it all. I gotta tip my cap to the guy. "On his terms" could not be a more fitting way to say it. Here's hoping that when you eventually hang 'em up, you are as at peace as he is.

Cheers.


16 comments:

zman said...

"Knowing how the time goes SO fast. I wanna get goin’ on this next phase, before it passes me by as fast as everything else did. I’ve finally reached an age where things get urgent. Available decades are gettin’ slim. Gotta find what you REALLY want and go for it. So I did."

I'm starting to feel this way too but I never crystallized it this clearly.

Juan Carlos said...

How many of you feel that the lock downs have been a positive thing personally and emotionally?

I've welcomed the time I've had to relax, reflect and reevaluate my priorities. I'm hoping I can hold on to the slower pace when things go back to "normal".

rob said...

this is great news. i'm psyched to shop at z and mark's hip-hop sneaker boutique.

i have the beginnings of a 'retirement' plan formulated in my head. just gotta get through another ten years or so on the current grind. i think/hope my timeline will look a lot like brian's.

rob said...

juan carlos' question is an excellent one. i feel guilty sometimes about how many positives i've taken from the lockdown. certain things have obviously sucked, but my family is healthy, i've grown as a leader and had a lot of professional success, i'm in better shape now by far than i was a year ago, and i've developed a routine that works for me.

rootsminer said...

Had heard of these guys, but not too familiar with them. That is a great way to announce you're hanging it up. I've only experienced the grind of the road in limited doses. Doing it for weeks on end would be tough.

Whitney said...

I have no retirement timeline. Having thrown my life into the mulcher a couple times over, I can only see my path as far as the next bend, which invariably isn't far away. Sometimes it seems like I'm already on borrowed time, anyway.

rob said...

i guess i wouldn't call my plan retirement. i don't think i'd be happy not doing some kind of work. i just want to dictate the terms of that work in ways i don't today.

Donna said...

This post is great and the comments. I was thinking today that my dad retired at 55 with full pension benefits - he was a high school teacher for 32 years. Never worked but one city school system. While teaching, he did woodworking on the side—builds lovely hardwood furniture. He has kept that up. And about 4 years in, he went back to teach night school for about 3 years. Took up golf about 6 years in and has played at least once a week ever since, often 3x. Still. He turned 86 on Monday. He never made tons of money, of course as a teacher, but he loved his work, was a coach, too, spent great amounts of time with his family, sent two kids to college, has traveled a bunch, and generally has had a terrific life. Managing 31 years retired - wow. I’ll never experience that (imagine we will work at least 15 more years!) but sure am grateful he’s been so fortunate.

TR said...

Donna’s dad is a baller

zman said...

The lockdown didn't bother me too much, aside from quashing some travel plans. I'm naturally socially distant so this is an excuse to be aloof to my neighbors. And it's been a time of tremendous change for me--I bought and sold houses and cars, changed jobs, got into something resembling decent physical shape. I'm lucky to be in an industry that wasn't hurt by the pandemic.

TR said...

When I drop my car at the car wash, I revert back to being a 10 y/o. I am always infatuated w/ watching my car go thru the process. I was step-by-step w/ it and stare thru the windows at it like I can’t believe it’s happening. Not sure why I do this, but I do it every time. And I always love when the powerful fan makes the water beads wiggle away.

No, I’m not on shrooms.

zman said...

That's perfectly normal. I do the same thing. I miss car washes where you stay in the car as you go through. I went through one with a dog one time and she shook herself off once we got out of the car wash, despite the fact that no water ever touched her.

Whitney said...

At my local car wash you can still ride in it.

And Donna, that is awesome.

rootsminer said...

If I can't ride through, I'll pass. Donna's dad is L-I-V-I-N !

rob said...

our local is also ride-through. it's fun in a convertible with the top down. if i went through with my hyper-anxious dog she'd probably never recover.

Mark said...

Zman and I may have discussed our desire to open a high end sneaker/clothing shops of our own.

The kid played her first baseball game of the season tonight. Went 3 for 3. I’m happy and proud buuuut I really don’t want to spend my springs and summers hanging out at baseball/softball tournaments.