Sunday, January 24, 2021

Pilgrims and Witches and Peaches and Me

I know this is hard for you to imagine. Today I'm the very model of a modern mild-mannered man. But there was a time in my life when I was an angry young scrapper, full of piss and vinegar and a hair-trigger temper. I broke more than one tennis racket in a fit of pique, multiple golf clubs, too. Wasn't much of a fighter, but I finished what I started (when I was solo, anyway - when around my much larger friends I ran my mouth and they got my back) - my lifetime record in fistfights is 3-0, with all three opponents retiring with blood gushing from their noses. I'm not proud*.

* I kinda am. All three dudes were bigger than me and I dotted their eyes quickly, lest we get into a grapple and I get my puny ass kicked. My Dad saw one of them happen, as it took place in the midst of an indoor lacrosse game he attended to watch his kid play. As the other kid walked out of the building with a towel and ice on his beak, Dad whispered, "nice shot" to me. That's one of my favorite memories.

Dad had a temper of his own, but it never seemed as irrational as mine could be when I was young. And Mom was New England stoic to a fault. Neither was as rabidly competitive as my younger self, either. I never really understood where that came from. But this week gave me a clue.

My mother is a serious student of our family's history. She spends a lot of time researching our genealogy, tracing both sides of the family back to the early 17th century. (Mayflower, y'all - when I asked Mom about our history, she replied via text, "Pilgrims and Witches. LOL". That's the name of my next album.) Earlier this week, she posted a link to a brief biography of a woman named Mary Towne Estey.

Mary Towne Estey had a son named Isaac who had a son named Richard who had a son named Zebulon who had a son named Samuel who had a son named LeBaron who had a daughter named Eva who had a son named Theodore who had a daughter named Nancy who had me. Mrs. Estey is my seventh great-grandmother. (She was also hanged as a witch in Salem, as it turns out. Glad she had Isaac first.)

Mrs. Estey's sixth great-grandson via a different route was none other than Ty Cobb, the Georgia Peach. Notorious for his irascibility, competitive ferocity, and temper. 

When I learned of this familial bond this week, a lot of pieces snapped into place. Me and Ty. Ty and Me. Peas in a pod. Not much of a physical resemblance, but mentally? Hoo boy. A lot of stuff is starting to make sense.

I'll need a few more weeks to process the additional familial connections with Mitt Romney and Amy Grant that flow from Good Witch Mary. Genealogy is cool. As is my new Mitchell and Ness 1912 Tigers jersey.

27 comments:

zman said...

That's very cool. zfather asserts that we are related to John von Neumann, who is essentially equivalent to Ty Cobb if you're Hungarian. von Neumann's Wikipedia photo looks a lot like zfather but I suspect all middle-aged Hungarian men share a similar mien.

TR said...

Anybody else spent the morning adding the Bernie image to family photos? Just me? Internet explained to me how to do it. If a Luddite like me can figure it out, there’s hope for all.

Whitney said...

That angry young scrapper was the guy I met on the freshman hall. And I’ve seen you break both a tennis racquet and a golf club, the latter over your knee after a first putt.

But I’ve enjoyed your mellowing through the years. Dave and I have discussed that temperamental, vitriolic guy we once knew and who isn’t there any more. We chalked it up to varying elements like getting old; marrying & having kids which bring perspective, your being a successful and well-liked dude, and the Red Sox winning the World Series.

Whitney said...

Missed putt, first putt, I don’t know.

Mark said...

One of the top 5 greatest moments of sorts fandom in my life occurred on Championship game Sunday. Shout out to Ronde Barber. Put that motherfucker in the HOF.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHvKUzTK4k

Mark said...

Hell of a start. Evans being involved early is very encouraging for the Tampa offense.

TR said...

Brady looks great. Touch and zip on his throws. With Rivers and (probably) Brees retiring, he has outlasted two more foes. Big Fat Ben is the only one left.

Mark said...

What a turn of events at the end of the half. Credit to Arians for staying aggressive and to Brady for executing.

Danimal said...

Trending towards a classic.

Mark said...

Trending towards a panic attack.

Mark said...

I am not used to being this stressed on a Sunday.

Mark said...

Yes. Sir.

Mark said...

WOW. I’m so fucking excited right now. I really didn’t think Tampa would win today.

TR said...

LaFleur kicking that figgie was inexcusable, especially when you have the most lethal QB/WR duo. I doubt Rodgers will bite his tongue about this. You’re inside the 10! If you miss on 4th, they’re backed up and you have 3 TOs and the 2-min warning. Arians should give LaFleur a game ball.

TR said...

Congrats, Mark. I am slightly rooting for Brady. As an old man, not as an ex-Pat.

Mark said...

I couldn’t agree more, TR. That was an indefensible decision imo. You should have something in your back pocket for a short yardage play like that.

If I was Rodgers I’d be irate. This team is built around me and you bail on that when it matters most? Nope.

Mark said...

Most of us around here support pathetic professional football franchises. When they aren’t pathetic it’s a great feeling. My family hates me today. I. Don’t. Care.

rob said...

i am much excite by the prospect of a zman vs mark grudge match super bowl.

zman said...

“Should we go for it?”
“Nah, take the three points and play for the stop. Brady never comes up big in these situations.”

Danimal said...

That last play/throw by Allen was quite nice.

Congrats Mark. Who woulda thunk 1 year ago that TB would be heading to the Super Bowl? Hell, even a few games into this season it seemed highly unlikely. Brady certainly a factor but not to the degree of that defense. Will be a great SB regardless of who advances from this game.

rob said...

had a parents' meeting for my kid's high school competition cheer team this evening. our schools are going to be playing football in an abbreviated spring season (feb - april) with no spectators. the expectation is that the cheer team will be required to cheer at the games. i mentioned that there will be no spectators, no?

roll that one around in your mind cavern for a moment or two.

Mark said...

I’ve been a huge critic of Tampa’s GM (Jason Licht) over the years. I wasn’t wrong either. He’s been aces the past 3-4 years though. Built the team through the draft and added pieces smartly in free agency.

Mark said...

Buffalo needs a TD here.

Whitney said...

Agree with Mark. And rob about the cheerleading unless like my kids’ school, they air it on a stream for the parents and fans.

rob said...

yeah, i get that. but it's going to feel pointless to the kids doing the cheering.

TR said...

They can easily have parents socially distanced in stands. You can restrict attendance to family. It’s outside, for fuck’s sake. Super dumb.

Anonymous said...

DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

(1)Ex back.
(2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
(3)You want to be promoted in your office.
(4)Pregnancy spell.
(5)Win a court case.

Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
What's app +2347012841542
Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341