Sunday, July 12, 2020

Sunday Morning Grooves

Album Of The Week: Khruangbin's 'Con Todo El Mundo' — Vinyl Me, Please

Hope you all are enjoying the weather today. A monsoon has finally left the Northeast, leaving us a sunny, mid/high 80's day. I will hit the pool club early and then finally get a baseball game in for my 10 y/o tonight. I am his head coach and will work to avoid being ejected, while hoping I don't run across that crusty old ump (throw me a solid, karma gods).

I whipped up another good pork chop dinner on the grill last night. The pork chops were fresh and super thick-cut from the local slaughterhouse, so I decided to brine them. I had never brined pork chops before, and oh my goodness, it made for some juicy, tender chops.

As I was grilling last night, the sun was emerging and the humidity was fading. I had a homemade margarita with me while I was sitting near the grill. Things were looking up, if only for a minute, and I needed a tune to accompany the mood. I settled on Khruangbin. I came to them through the song below a few months ago. The song and the video are amazing. I love this band's sound for so many reasons. Hard to believe they are contemporary band from the Houston suburbs.

So yeah, the music fit. It was a stone groove, my man. I advise you to check them out if you like any combination of pop, funk, soul, Afrobeat or retro R&B. The NY Times had a nice deep dive on them a few weeks ago. Worth a read. Looks like it's available outside the pay wall here.


19 comments:

Mark said...

The NBA Bubble Life twitter account deserves your attention.

rob said...

man, i hope y'all watched the overseas elite/sideline cancer tournament game. a battle throughout, and an awesome ending.

in related news, one of the obft participants may have been exposed to covid, so my wife is making me quarantine in our basement until his test results come back. so i get food and beer brought to me, can watch whatever the hell i want on television, and can burp and fart with impunity (the latter very important in the obft recovery phase). i can manage this for a few days.

rob said...

sirius xmu has been giving khruangbin some run. i dig it.

rob said...

i was pleasantly surprised by the level of adherence to mask and social distancing guidelines i saw in the few public places we ventured to on the outer banks.

TR said...

Glad to hear that, Rob. We were there for a few days after our Hilton Head trip. Was early/mid June and folks were way too relaxed.

TR said...

A big thanks to both Leicester City and Chelsea for spitting the bit this w/e. Gives Man U control over the 3rd spot in the tables.

Whitney said...

COVID-19 means no alcohol sales in South Africa. This virus sucks.

Dave said...

another great obft . . . thx whit!

https://sentenceofdave.blogspot.com/2020/07/double-beach-vacation-during-pandemic.html

rob said...

patriot league announced today that they won't be playing any fall sports. i'd say the odds we have any fall sports at the collegiate or high school level are growing increasingly long.

Whitney said...

RIP Kelly Preston. In case the COVID had obscured the fact that cancer can continue to go fuck itself.

A friend in town has suffered mightily from breast cancer. Last year we were told she wasn’t going to make it. She had some surgery I’d regard as holy-shit extreme, and she’s not only still with us but back at work and seems to be doing a lot better. Not out of the woods, but we will take it.

TR said...

I had a huge crush on Kelly Preston, dating back to Spacecamp. Was right up there with my crush on Kerri Green from Goonies/Lucas, and my crush on Lori Loughlin from Back to the Beach.

rootsminer said...

My wife was staying sequestered in our room last week, pending result of a covid test which came back negative. I set myself up in the attic, which we finished a few years ago, and is where our only tv resides. The bed isn't as comfortable, but it's positioned right next to an AC register, so I can watch what I want in optimum comfort. Not too bad a deal.

rob said...

allow me to be the first to complain impotently about the new blogger editing interface, which sucks donkey balls.

Jamboni said...

My crush on Kelly P originated in the spectacularly horrendous "The Experts" where she met John Travolta. The dance sequence to the Club Nouveau remix was absurd in all the best ways.

T.J. said...

JAMBONI!

Whitney said...

The Experts is just the worst. But a career apex for Arye Gross.

TR said...

Are we sure that Arye Gross and Mark Linn-Baker are two separate people?

The Experts was a travesty.

Whitney said...

Now I want to watch it again

TR said...

While we're talking 80's cinema, the family has been digging into the Airplane movies the last couple months. Robert Hays deserved a better career.

I would love to watch Kentucky Fried Movie again, but I have a sense that all of Hollywood has tacitly agreed to pretend that movie never happened.