Friday, July 24, 2020

R.I.P. Dave Fairbank (Not Really. Don't Be Alarmed. You'll Understand When You Read the Post. Jesus, Lighten Up.)

I confess that I was torn when I read this entry from our man in the OBX. On the one hand, it's predictably droll, self-deprecating, and entertaining. On the other, the topic is, well, morbid. And we've got our share of that right now. But it's also the kind of thing that could lead to a recurring bit, and we rarely let that kind of thing pass without pouncing. So please enjoy Dave Fairbank's autoeulogy.

I’ve been thinking about death lately. Not a cheery topic, but it’s tough to avoid with the official U.S. COVID death toll tracking like one of Elon Musk’s rocket launches, and with George Floyd and other victims sparking national and international protests and demonstrations.

Discouraging, yes, but not entirely gloomy. I took the opportunity to write my own obituary. I presently feel fine and don’t think my demise is imminent. But you never know. As I told the site’s Pocket Sultan at the most recent OBFT, if I get infected by the coronavirus, I have no idea if I would be asymptomatic, dead in a week, or somewhere in between. Or, I could go the traditional route and drop dead of a heart attack. Might as well prepare a little. (I do enjoy Pocket Sultan. Please feel free to use it.)

One could argue that writing your own obituary is a mite macabre and self-absorbed. But I submit that it’s compassionate. It relieves grieving loved ones of the added chore of adequately recapping a life, and it affords time to assign booze delivery for the wake or to devise tactics that screw relatives in the event of estate squabbles.

It also provides the deceased an element of control about their existence. We read obits all the time that say Jimmy loved gardening or Angela cherished time skiing with her family, when in fact Jimmy just wanted out of the house and away from the missus, and Angela was scared shitless of skiing but her family never asked her and kept booking ski trips.

Writing your own obit is hardly an original idea. Lots of people have done it. I found it to be a pleasant diversion. You could write it straight, but what’s the point in that? Let’s put the “fun” back in “funeral.”

I plan to leave this with my loved ones and hope they see fit to print it somewhere. If not, I may require legal assistance. As always, suggestions are welcome.

After overstaying his welcome by several years, Dave Fairbank of Kill Devil Hills finally departed this world on (FILL IN THE BLANK), leaving an open bar stool in establishments on the Outer Banks and beyond.

He is survived by his wife of XX years, Suzanne, whose love and support are matched only by her tolerance for her husband’s goofballery and myriad shortcomings. He is also survived by a sister, Sandy Chambers, and her husband (Bill) and sons (Michael and Alex), all of whom had the good sense to live hundreds of miles away so as to limit direct contact with the deceased. He fathered no children, sparing potential offspring a questionable upbringing.

Dave was preceded in death by his parents, Bob and Ruth Fairbank, loving, wonderful role models who deftly masked their disappointment in their oldest child and now have the opportunity to ask him why he didn’t amount to more.

Dave spent most of his professional life as a sportswriter, which permitted him to Peter Pan his way through adulthood, telling stories about games and kids and coaches, and avoiding real work. He wrote thousands of stories in almost 40 years as a newspaperman and freelance writer, many of which were competent.

He possessed no useful skills, was a disaster with technology, understood little about regular jobs, and squandered too much money on alcohol, for which his parents are almost certainly giving him a disappointed side-eye in the hereafter. He tried to listen to people and to read broadly. He enjoyed movies and music and was partial to blues, old jazz and 1970s era funk and soul. He never saw “Hamilton,” yet somehow endured. He was sociable, yet rarely dominated a room. Rumor had it that on occasion he was good company.

Dave was born on Sept. 24, 1958 in Baltimore before his parents whisked him away to the wilderness of Edgewater, Md., south of Annapolis. He attended Southern High School and then Washington (Md.) College and the University of Maryland-College Park, where he graduated with a General Studies degree, which meant that he was qualified to do nothing. He had the opportunity to work with his father, who helped run and later owned a small business, but he was determined to do something less lucrative that required excessive and unusual hours and peculiar work habits.

He spent the bulk of his career at the Newport News (Va.) Daily Press, covering mostly college and prep sports, along with the occasional professional golf tournament, NFL game and NASCAR race. He saw, in their youth, Allen Iverson, Michael Vick, Alonzo Mourning, Pernell Whitaker, Ronald Curry, Terry Kirby, J.R. Reid, Percy Harvin, Olympic sprinters Francena McCorory and LaShawn Merritt, CFL legend Michael Clemons, and future NFL head coaches Mike Tomlin and Sean McDermott, among an almost embarrassingly rich list of talent. Crossing paths with those athletes didn’t buy groceries, but they provided stories. He was humbly surprised and grateful that subjects returned his phone calls and willingly spoke to him.

Dave fortunately avoided the staff cuts and purges that became de rigueur under the soulless, corporate jackals that increasingly ran newspapers. He left the newspaper business in 2015, and he and Suzanne relocated to the Outer Banks, where he swept sand and dodged hurricanes and sampled fish tacos. He did some freelance writing for various publications and was a periodic contributor to a friend’s blog, a gig that somehow was even less profitable than newspaper work – re-confirming his financial acumen.

In short, Dave was blessed beyond all reason and explanation. In other countries and circumstances, someone of his limitations might have been homeless or institutionalized. Instead, he managed to carve out a niche and function among the public. Wonders never cease.

In lieu of flowers, retire to a tavern, have a few drinks, and over-tip your server.

24 comments:

Marls said...

Dave, good stuff. If you want need a lawyer written in to you will in order to mandate the publication of this, Zman would be perfect.

Oh, and I think you may want to think about Pocket Pasha. “Same Middle Eastern Flair...Now With Alliteration!”

zman said...

Exceedingly well done as usual. And I agree that everyone should write their own obituaries as a parting gift to their issue.

Whitney said...

So good. All the way through. He never saw “Hamilton,” yet somehow endured. That made me cackle.

I’ve thought about this quite a bit. Of course you have, I can hear you saying. I’d love to take a crack at one.

But let’s hope that this terrific piece of writing is moot for a long, long while.

rob said...

i wrote my dad's obituary. i mostly played it straight, but there were some easter eggs for close friends and family. i resisted the urge to include the phrase 'glorious pain in the ass', though i did use a variation on that theme when i eulogized him.

rootsminer said...

Well done Mr. Fairbank, though I'll heartily echo Whit's sentiment of this not being necessary for several decades. That will give you time to keep refining it - I'm hoping the harmonica you carry in your backpack somehow makes it in!

Dave said...

nice job dave. way to get ahead of the curve. now all you've got left to do is croak!

TR said...

My mom wrote her own obit, solely b/c she was a control freak. She, like my father nine years before, wanted her ashes scattered in the Atlantic Ocean in the town of Manasquan. But she made us promise to scatter them as far away from my dad's ashes as possible. Twas a contentious divorce, as you may have guessed.

My fear on writing my own obit would be that my jokes don't hold up.

zman said...

The staying power of your jokes is inversely proportional to your degree of drunkenness when writing them.

TR said...

That's fair. Same goes for my lovemaking prowess.

zman said...

Whilst recently drunk with Juan Carlos, he told me about someone who regaled him with unwanted and unsolicited advice. I told him he should’ve said “Listen, I’m good at making love but that doesn’t mean you want me to tell you what I’d do to your wife.” He said he will say that next time.

Mark said...

My oldest finally gets to graduate today. The school is only allowing two tickets per kid so I wasn’t going to be able to attend (stepdad and all that). Was a bummer but I understood. My wife wasn’t having it though. She put out the call on FB earlier this week. Then one of the Bizzarro’s offered a free pizza for anyone who brought him a ticket. Jackpot. I now get to see the kid who moved in with me the summer before she started kindergarten walk across the stage and get her diploma. This makes me exceedingly happy. Only downside is it will be in the mid 90s whilst we sit in the high school bleachers.

rob said...

that's awesome

OBX dave said...

That is an aces retort, z. I was unfamiliar with 'pasha,' but I like that, too, Tim.

And gracias to all for the kind words and for absorbing the piece in the manner in which it was intended.

rob said...

message for obx dave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZsYIgSbskw

Whitney said...

Mark, I’m glad for you. And jealous. My baby graduates Sunday. We parents will be watching online.

rob said...

headed to cape cod in the morning. slipping across the border to massachusetts surreptitiously because folks from virginia are supposed to quarantine for 14 days if they come to mass. don't narc on me, squeaky.

Mark said...

We have a high school graduate. And my wife needs a drink.

rob said...

we're taking our kid to college in three weeks, and my wife is already a mess

Mark said...

I’ve seen my Dad cry twice in my life. One time was a tragic event. The second time was when he left me in North Carolina as a freshman in college.

TR said...

My 10 y/o’s team turned a legit 4-6-3 double play today. Fun to see. Only downside was it was my kid’s one inning to pitch. 9 pitches and done for him.

We also had a 7-5 force. You don’t see that one in MLB.

rob said...

*dick move alert*

when i was in my twenties, i played softball for coed team at work. i was playing leftfield, and an athletic girl who looked like she'd played some softball came to the plate for our opponents. she was a strongly-built young lady, had some pop in her bat, but wasn't super fleet of foot. she hit a one-hop rope right at me in shallow left, and without thinking, i came up firing. nailed her at first for the rare 7-3 putout.

my buddy, who was playing in center, looked at me aghast, and said, 'you're a dick!'.

and then i realized that i, in fact, was a dick. at least when playing sports at that point in my life.

Mark said...

Greg is back in town for a few weeks while he and his wife wait for their house in Charleston to close. Gonna do a little social distancing happy hour with them and a few other couples tonight. Greg’s not around here too much these days but this still qualifies as a mini summit, right?

Whitney said...

That’s a hard yes

rob said...

it’s a ‘fuck yes’