Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Shazam!

Two of my friends, a husband and wife team that zwoman and I refer to as The Elegances, were early iPhone adopters. I didn’t understand the hoopla at first. Jenny Elegance showed me the great camera and how good photos looked on the big screen. It was cool but I wasn’t blown away. Then she showed me the map feature with GPS directions. I was really impressed—-I have no sense of direction and this is the type of thing I could really use. Then Danny Elegance came over the top with Shazam. My mind was blown. I said something like “Yo, this thing just sniffs the beats out the air and gives you the song?!? I want that beat sniffer!” FOGTB JP quickly replied “The beat sniffer, that’s my dog!” This is funny because his dog Hank liked to sniff the crotch of our friend Julie Beats. I guess you had to be there.

All this is to say that Shazam is great and it was the motivating force behind my first iPhone purchase. Over a decade later, Dave apparently just learned about Shazam and started blogging about it. Better late than never.

I still love Shazam. Here are some of my recent finds:

“It Was Wrong to Love You” by The Jay Vons (of course they’re on Daptone, here's the song live)



“Talk That Talk” by The Du Droppers (nothing like the Rihanna song)



“There’s No One Like You” by Redd Kross



“Tom Drunk” by U-Roy (the “Fortified Live” sample!)



“Castin’ My Spell” by Johnny Otis



“I’m a King Bee” by Slim Harpo (the original!)



“Night walkers” by Kiki Hitomi (I can't come up with a coherent parenthetical for this one)



“All the Way from Memphis” by Mott the Hoople (sounds like the influenced White Reaper)



Dave and I probably aren't the only Shazammers around here. What did you find lately?

27 comments:

TR said...

My recent Shazman reflect my bad memory as much as anything, as in "Who sings this one?" or "What's this song called?" Apparently I've only Shazamed 36 times, starting in 2016. Some highlights (and some lowlights):

Chris Cornell - Seasons
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - They Reminisce Over You
Billy Ward & The Dominoes - Sixty Minute Man
Megadeth - Last Rites
Lizzo - Tempo
James Brown - People Get Up and Drive Your Funky Soul
Alabama Shakes - This Feeling
De La Soul - Say No Go
Iron Maiden - The Trooper
Grant Green - Ain't it Funky Now

TR said...

"A new study from Dartmouth economist David Blanchflower found that happiness follows a U-shaped curve over one’s lifetime, with human misery peaking at age 47."

Good times.

Mark said...

Shazam is the shit. I frequently use it in the car or while watching TV. I’d say I used it about once an episode whilst whilst viewing Mr Robot. Great soundtrack to that show.

zman said...

I have a plurality of Shazams from Mr. Robot.

Whitney said...

My Shazam intro story was almost verbatim to Zman's. I was wowed immediately. I think I said:

Everything is different, but the same... things are more moderner than before... bigger, and yet smaller... it's computers... Gheorghe: The Blog rules.

Whitney said...

Tr's recent Shazams are great, if only for the James Brown / Iron maiden tandem.

Mine are less so:

Kings of Leon - Comeback Story
Aldous Harding - The Barrel
The Electric Peanut Butter Company - Dreams
Agent Orange - Seek & Destroy
Absofacto - Dissolve (3 times, apparently, I guess my short term memory fades with BAC rise)
The Chiffons - One Fine Day
Generationals - Out a Light On
Lyle Lovett - Give Back My Heart
Gregory Alan Isakov - The Stable Song
Puddle of Mudd - Psycho
Devo - Too Much Paranoias

Whitney said...


Dave F, more of the sad same, it sounds like at first blush...

https://www.pilotonline.com/business/ct-biz-tribune-publishing-employee-buyouts-20200113-trvuz7l6cfhtxf7gjp5gcnrxze-story.html#nws=true

OBX dave said...

After reading the corporate memo, one Twitter wag translated: We're doing so well, we need some of you to *leave.*

Mark said...

Annnnnd the Joe Brady era in Baton Rouge is over.

Dave said...

i don't think i used shazam to get the song, i think google did it. is that possible?

Mark said...

Ja Morant is so special. Unique combo of athleticism and vision.

Whitney said...

We can wait and see what his offense does for the Panthers, and it’s silly to say but fun to think about... if Joe Brady ever makes HC while Tomlin and McDermott are still in their roles...

Is Denny repping any of those guys??

Whitney said...

Catching up on a day that shoulda had more commenting...

Rob was right, Sox in the crosshairs. Our (Marls and my) brave hero Carlos Beltran could be next. And all we see are memes about how if only he were stealing signs in the 9th inning in the 2006 NLCS.

This is a big bummer of a story all around. The ESPN article vilifying the owner who got off with a super-relative slap on the wrist (and indicating the other owners feel the same) was an interesting take.

Seems like with all that video in the ballparks these days they could do a massive investigation if they really want to. The ghost of Bud Selig tells them to bury their heads. It’ll go away.

As John Oates said after Koko’s death, there are no winners here today.

TR said...

Amy Klobuchar’s eyebrows are mesmerizing.

TR said...

I don’t think the DLC reps any of the W&M football coaching troika.

Whitney said...

Zman’s Jay Vons delivers the goods from what I’ve played thus far

Whitney said...

Clemson hoops played tonight like they were pissed about something. Tough luck, Duke.

zman said...

Klobuchar redid her hair so it’s less jiggly but it’s still tremorous.

zman said...

And Steyer has a tic tac toe game on the back of his hand.

TR said...

Part of me loves Bernie. He was amazing on the Rogan podcast a few months ago, when he could just talk freely for an hour.

zman said...

Bernie might work himself into a lather about healthcare and drop dead.

zman said...

Joe Welch!

TR said...

Wilmington, DE to DC is 108 miles. Biden said it was 250 miles.

Whitney said...

By stagecoach it’s longer

TR said...

Eat a dick, Alex Cora.

Marls said...

I do t really understand all the pearl clutching going on over the sign stealing “scandal”. Wouldn’t you assume that every home team is doing that?

Every week we watch NFL coaches hold their play card over their mouth so people can’t lip read via cameras in the press box or on TV. College teams not have a tarp that blocks the sky cam for when they huddle during a time out.

Why the fuck in 2020 is baseball still using finger signs to convey messages. It is stupid.

T.J. said...

Stood next to Marco Rubio boarding my 6am flight this morning. Hate to lend any credence to Diaper Don’s sophomoric nicknames, but Marco ain’t exactly the biggest dude. Wikipedia listing him as 5’9” is hilarious.