Saturday, September 14, 2024

Picks Are Back!

Credit for the push goes to Whit. Thanks? Please don't mistake this for a precedent. And if I may motion for this to be an open-source sort of post, Aye. Ya got some winners? Slide'm in here mate. Perverts. If you're looking for completely anecdotal, non-evidentiary backed picks, you've come to the right place. 

Much has changed since the last time we did this, which was...'18? '17? Dare I ask? Whatever the year, the amount of football viewing afforded to me then was considerably different than today. More then, less now. Damn kids. Well let's get on with it, shall we?

Texas A&M -3.5 at Florida

What little football I have watched included games w/these two mediocre squads. Plus, I'm pretty excited to report that my middle daughter & I will be in attendance for this one. 

When A&M played Notre Dame, the team of GTB and me, I was at a neighbor's house sitting around a table sipping on wine pretending to be fully engaged in conversation while peeking at my phone. I made it home for the 4th qtr. As any real fan would do, I watched the game in its entirety a day later. Yes, it was a great win for Marcus Freeman and ND, but by the time the game was over, I wouldn't go as far to say that it was apparent to me that both teams were not that good, but the possibility was considered. ND b/c of QB & endless mistakes that have carried over from last year, namely penalties (coaching), and A&M b/c of their QB, Conner Weigman. Even after playing McNeese State last week and winning by 6 TD's, he's 23/44 w/2 INT's and a lowly 5 yards per reception through his two games (taken out early in last week's blowout).

Big game for Billy Napier. His seat is warm. They lose this and it is....swahm-puy. A couple of his coaches bolted to A&M last year along with a pair of players adding a dash of extra incentive. A&M has the 12th man, but last I heard they don't make road trips. UF has Super Senior Graham Mertz - 6th season. Alliteration. Coming off an injury in the Miami game, Graham is questionable. But that's okay, because the next guy up is frosh DJ Lagway who killed it against Samford last week. Though I'm long on A&M and new coach Mike Elko, Florida is going to get in Weigman's kitchen early and often, rendering him useless. Chomp chomp. I'm going Gators outright. Come'n get sum.

Gators 24 - Aggies 20


Oregon -16.5 at Oregon State o/u 49.5

If you haven't been paying attention, Oregon hasn't been "Oregon", eeking out a win last week at home against Boise, and struggling a wee bit in week 1 at home against Idaho, scoring 61 points between the two games. WTF Ducks? Looks like Bo Nix was their everything. As a reminder, this will be the first time these two have met as nonconference opponents since the Beatles we're getting hot. This used to be one of the biggest rivalry games of the year, named the Civil War. I wonder what Honest Abe would think of that moniker.  

Oregon State has a stout D allowing under 80 yards of rushing per game. Lo and behold, this is where Oregon's struggles reside, in the rushing game as well as pass protection.

The oddsmakers know what they're doing obviously. And that scares me. Does Oregon have its coming out party this week? I'm saying no, but they should come out victorious. (but don't be surprised by a home team victory)

Oregon 27 Oregon State 24 (and the over)

Week 3 of CFB, coming at ya!

25 comments:

Mark said...

I woke up today feeling as normal as I’ve felt since Monday. A long walk on the beach and swim in the ocean yesterday must’ve helped. Gonna repeat that ritual this morning. Got a few picks myself:

Memphis +6.5 at FSU (might sprinkle a few on the money line)

Wisconsin +16.5 vs Bama

I also like the Beavers +17

Also like Florida +4 (currently at 3.5) but I’m too nervous to put money on this game.

Whitney said...

I hate to say it but I like LSU -6.5 and the under. Gamecocks offense is missing a rattler.

Whitney said...

And Mark, glad to hear you’re back in action

Whitney said...

Also, I’m the worst gambler ever and my pick of the under is dreck

rob said...

florida state is cheeks

Mark said...

If FSU loses this game it’s officially check out time in Tallahassee for a bunch of these dudes.

Whitney said...

S. Carolina game was going so well. And now it’s going so badly. Pity, Cocks. Come on.

Danimal said...

Elko must have read this post

OBX dave said...

Mark, hope you had courage of your convictions to pull the trigger on Memphis, money line and all. Or maybe just guided by Seminole contempt.

Whitney said...

I’m really bummed for the Gamecocks. Seasons get really strong in games like those if you can pull it out, and that one hurt. I hope Sellers is all right and they’re back at it next week. Fun team to root for. Go. Cocks.

Whitney said...

Also, nobody has ever seen what I type here and bet accordingly. This week is such strong proof why not to.

Mark said...

I’ve had a good day betting. That’s nice because this is the worst Florida team I’ve ever seen. Undisciplined, soft and generally just not good at football. Gonna be a long fall.

rob said...

spent the morning at the robert trent jones club on the shores of lake manassas today catching some solheim cup action. first thing i saw was euro charley hull ripping a heater on the third tee. watched all four matches come through seven green, then followed nelly korda’s match from 12 to 18. pretty fun morning for the kid.

Mark said...

This is embarrassing. Fire Napier now.

Danimal said...

Good picks by this guy too. Left at half…to chants of “fire Napier”

Danimal said...

Good picks by this guy too. Left at half…to chants of “fire Napier”

Mark said...

Can’t blame the crowd. It’s a wrap for Sun Belt Billy.

mr kq said...

Love the picks bit well done. Will be back next week with some sure fire losers. Afternoon sesh at Solheim in Home Depot “Cabana” on 13 green. Exceeded all expectations.

Danimal said...

Solheim Cup underrated. Good for you guys. And though I’m not condoning, nod of approval and a smile with the Hull heater pull. Had no idea.

Danimal said...

Georgia’s human, at least for 2+ quarters.

rob said...

colorado may win this game, but they aren’t a well-coached team

Mark said...

I’m up later than I usually would be because I have a child who stays up (middle schooler), dig the San Diego State helmets.

rootsminer said...

My wife and I are having a trial run of empty nesting this weekend. I suggested a Saturday walk along the greenway to a furniture store we like to look for new living room chairs.

I thought it would be the start to the process, looking at upholstery, options, and whatnot. I sadly failed to consider the possibility that we would end up buying three chairs off the floor and spend the rest of Saturday rearranging and accidentally taking our home internet offline, maybe until Thursday.

rob said...

that's a novel in mini form, rootsy. i enjoyed.

rob said...

two out of three ain't bad, danimal. decent day for mark. me, now 0-5 on the campaign. gonna make a lot of money on the reversion to the mean. jump aboard now.