Friday, August 25, 2023

Fresh Friday Music, Nostalgia Style

Good morning, gheorghies. Good morning, lescoolies. No, that wasn't your browser on the blink again.

More good music to throw your way for a weekend. My friend Ned and his video design chum worked some real magic on a tune that conjures up old images for me.

I've highlighted my old growin-up buddy Ned Henry 'round these parts here before. In March of last year, his dad passed at age 95, a couple of years after his mom had left us unexpectedly. His folks -- Bucky and Barbara -- were truly amazing... 15-20 years older than most of my friends' folks, they were grandparently, congenial, hospitable, in on every joke, and always quick to whip up a mean breakfast when I woke up on their couch with a hangover at age 17. They seemed never to age, and my memories of them in their 80's and 90's conjure nearly identical images of them in their 50's and 60's when they lovingly took care of "The Whit."

In 2016, five of us from the old gang took Ned's mom, a William and Mary alum from way back, to a Jimmy Buffett (Ned's fave) show in a limo. Say what you will about Buffett, but that experience -- especially now knowing what lay in store soon thereafter, is a memory we all will continue to treasure.  Especially because COVID stole our good buddy Bill a few years later. 

At the show, I offered to hoist Mrs. B up onto my shoulders so she could see, but I was shot down. I mean, you can see how diminutive she was!

Plastic cup chalices...

She frequently chugged around town in a baby blue 1965 Mustang with a big smile. You saw her coming a long way away, and that was probably for the best, safety-wise. 

Anyway, this year Ned and his siblings took on the job of finally going through the old house and his folks' belongings. Unenviable a task for reasons of sadness as well as burden; when I asked Ned how long his family had lived there, he pondered, "Since the Kennedy administration... maybe Eisenhower." Whew. It just sold last month... God bless the new owners and the work ahead of them.

Just before the house went on the market, I woke up one June morning to a belated flurry of texts from Ned and his little brother, both back in town to sift through Henry trash and treasures, imploring me to come meet them out in the old neighborhood. They had been boozing on gin and tonics and blaring the Violent Femmes. They texted that flare sometime after midnight. Somewhat surprisingly, I was already sacked out and caught it on the flip side. 

But that didn't stop me from listening to them wax nostalgic and a bit plaintive the next morning, and right thereafter, I sat down and scratched out some lyrics to a song I then offered up if he had any interest. To his amazing credit, as soon as he got back to New Orleans he had figured out the music and was laying down the track. He tweaked my words just a touch and made me feel really good about the thought. He's a great dude. 

Ned released the track a few weeks ago and had a Crescent City cohort expertly compile a video with footage from the old neighborhood, Ned's NOLA home, and some photos of the old days. At the 1:46 and 2:54 marks you can see a few long-lost pics of a big galoot with his whole life ahead of him...

Anyway, if you feel like it, check out Ned, old Unit 11 (the Mustang), and our collaboration in this here music video.


15 comments:

rob said...

that's really excellent. i think my favorite thing about it is the smile on ned's face and in his voice. coulda been a maudlin thing done differently, and it's not. very cool.

Danimal said...

to whip up those lyrics as you did and the final output - talented & touching. another guy i'd like to have a beer with.

rootsminer said...

I'm sure it would have worked out ok, but I'm glad Barb had the good sense NOT to hop on the Whit dog's shoulders at a buffett concert.

Donna said...

This is terrific. The story, the woman, the car, the song, the friends...all of it. Thanks!

rob said...

notre dame +20.5 with sam hartman against a navy team with a brand new coach was free money.

Danimal said...

Navy always makes me nervous. I don’t know if I would have bet that.
Watched the remainder of Swamp Kings. Meh, at best. Would like to see an unauthorized version. And speaking of units, Urban is one.

rootsminer said...

Finally got to watch the video. Lovely. I can picture Barbara tooling around in the mustang. Well done!

rob said...

at a winery/venue watching a band called the amish outlaws. look ‘em up. good time, really good musicians, a good bit silly. two paws up.

Whitney said...

Enjoying my friends’ responses to this post. So is Ned. Huge thanks.

Mark said...

Sam Hartman looked good. I’m sure it was a bit surprising to many that don’t watch a lot of CFB but that dude is legit. Even if he looks a little too much like Donald Trump Jr.

I really wanted him for UF. He’s got to be the best QB the Irish have had since Brady Quinn.

In terms of betting, super helpful that Notre Dame had weeks to prepare for the triple option as opposed to a week as they usually would.

I’m a little higher on the Irish than I expected (bummer). Buuuuut, Marcus Freeman has a tattoo wedding ring so I’m out long term.

Mark said...

One of my kids friends is a bit sheltered. The parents are great but the Dad travels a lot and the Mom is a child psychologist.

We’ve become very good friends with the family and she stays at our house a lot. We watch a decent amount of murder (20/20, 48 Hours, Netflix, etc) at our house (my wife worked crime scenes for the local sheriff for 8 years). This kid now comes to our house jonesing for murder.

Fast forward to tonight. It’s just her and I watching a dateline murder on the couch while my wife is asleep and my daughter is watching tik tok.

Worst family or best family?

Marls said...

First, as to the post, this is fantastic. As older parents, I hope the Marlsette and I can live up to the example set by Bucky & Barb.

Second, I hope that Unit 11 stayed in the family and is now prowling the streets of the crescent city.

Third, Hartman looked good. I’m hoping that is due to the opposition. My other hope is that he is more Ron Powlus than Brady Quinn.

Finally, Mark - we would let The Marls kidlet hand with you guys any day.

Mark said...

Thanks, Marls.

Our Sunday routine is to sleep in and then head down to the beach so the kid and I can surf. It’s a great way to start the week.

Did the usual today. Good times. Until I took a header and busted my face up on the ocean floor and all of us got stung by jellyfish (it’s that time of year). Recovering by the pool with a little champagne.

Mark said...

Alllllll the Italians are coming over for the afternoon/evening. I guess it’s good so I have a chip for football season. At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

Professor G. Truck said...

nice lyrics whit, song sounds great-- and I love the photo cameos . . .