Friday, June 05, 2020

We Need to Keep Listening

Now that I have posting privileges, you don't have to scroll through the comments to see the new educational info.

You're going to feel uncomfortable. That's the point. Thank you for listening. Black Lives Matter.

Killer Mike speaking at an Atlanta press conference last week.
Plot. Plan. Strategize. Organize. Mobilize.



Six years ago Doug Glanville penned a piece in The Atlantic about being racially profiled in his own driveway. He shared his thoughts about George Floyd on ESPN's Daily podcast Thursday. His part starts at the 28-minute mark, but the whole podcast is good, so give it a listen.




Robin Theade outlines what's next, once we address police violence. This info will help us all become better anti-racism allies


Caron Butler's piece in The Players Tribune is clear and direct. It's a WE thing.



Seth Meyers opened every show this week with a cop story from writer Amber Ruffin. Watch them all. And then, for something lighter, check out any of her "Amber says WHAT" segments. They are gold.



And, I'll leave you today with some Thursday thoughts from my friend Fox. First this:
https://twitter.com/TheUndefeated/status/1268663909734629382

And then this:
https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1268663275555901440




11 comments:

Shlara said...

I can't figure out how to embed the Killer Mike YouTube link. If one of you coudl fix that, I would appreciate it!

rob said...

done

rob said...

sturgill simpson live at the ryman. right. now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO73im4J2sU&feature=youtu.be

Donna said...

Thanks, Shlara!
We protested peacefully on the corner in our neighborhood, busy intersection of Newport News, this afternoon. Organized by a young woman (I'm guessing as young as 23-24 maybe); she posted 3 days ago that she was going to stand out there at 12 noon with a sign. Invited the neighbors. About a dozen showed. Yesterday couple dozen. Today, at least 75. It was cool.
How about Goodell's/NFL statement?!
What's that mean for Kap?!

Professor G. Truck said...

it's time for you guys to thanks me for my service! don't be like larry david, give it up!

http://sentenceofdave.blogspot.com/2020/06/no-good-deed-goes-unpunished.html

Whitney said...

All hail the advent of Shlara at GTB. Not just saying it to be nice, it’s long overdue and it makes me incredibly happy. We boys can have a singular bent. We try to be (and are mostly, moderately successful at) even-keeled, thoughtful, and dissenting from groupthink, but I have always found Shlara to be a strong calibration of my own moral compass in the best possible way. Godspeed.

zman said...

Yoodge day for me. I mowed both my lawns and decapitated a literal snake in the grass while going so. I weeded and mulched my side yard. I got moving materials, downspouts (which I also installed today) and a new toilet seat at Home Depot. zson and I got a new hermit crab. I brought two loads of sticks and brush to the mulch pit and the I vacuumed out zcar. Next zson and I tackle his design and technology homework, which means I need to find a cardboard box.

rootsminer said...

You ever start a project just to see if it's going to work, then end up tied up on the thing all day?

For more years than I want to admit, I've been hoarding some old trex decking one of my wife's former coworkers used to construct some very sorry raised plant beds. There are screws with stripped heads all through it, so I started the work of sawing through the screws, then salvaging 69" out of a 72" board. Tomorrow they become the new potato planter.

I'm not blind to my good fortune, but I'm working much harder at work and at home than I did before. I'll try to get to Shlara's homework directly.

Mark said...

RIP Reche Caldwell. I didn’t know him well while we were both at Florida but I did know him. Sad day.

zman said...

I saw a new Corvette today, the mid-engined C8. The old codger who owns it was standing by it, waiting for his wife to finish buying flowers. He was delighted to show it off to me. It only had 150 miles and you can’t take it over 50 MPH until you get to 500 miles. I told him to get busy on that and then stay out of trouble. He liked that. The car is beautiful. It’s like a spaceship made love to a Ferrari who had an American grandmother.

Mark said...

That was a hilariously beautiful description. Zman should put that on a T-shirt.