Tuesday, June 02, 2020

The Fierce Urgency of Now

For most of the past twenty years, at least a part of my job has brought me into close contact with officials at all levels of American law enforcement. I've met FBI Directors, DEA Administrators, Executive Directors of ICE Homeland Security Investigations, heads of state bureaus of investigation, and chiefs of police from places as diverse as the NYPD to the San Jose PD to the Minneapolis PD to the Leesburg, VA PD. I've met meathead cops and talented analysts. I've spent time with the head of the National Organization for Black Law Enforcement (NOBLE) and the head of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP).

By a significant majority, the law enforcement executives I've met have been professional and service-minded. In recent years, their priorities have changed and they've spent a lot more time focused on department culture, mental health, and diversity. And they've acknowledged that they've got a long way to go. Leaders like Houston Chief Art Acevedo are grappling with the stains on their profession.



Majority doesn't mean unanimity. I've met cops who were obviously racist, sexist, and just plain mean.

I say all this as preface to today's topic, which is actually my daughters.

Leesburg, VA's peaceful protest march
My kids are loud pissed right now about the state of affairs in America's cities. My 18 year-old is a budding activist, full of righteous indignation about any number of things. She's liberal to a fault, and she's compassionate about the plight of people less privileged than she. We've had arguments, friends.

I'm also a lefty, but as I stare down the barrel of my 50th birthday, my liberalism is leavened with pragmatism. I'm an incrementalist, about the moral arc of the universe bending towards justice, one generation better than the next.

My daughter wants to burn it all down and start over again.

So it comes down to incrementalism versus radicalism. I've spent the last three days arguing that there's no practical way to strip the system to its bones and start over in a nation with institutions as large, diverse, and ingrained as ours.

As I was researching some of the issues, hoping to provide by daughters with the wisdom of their elders, I came across something that stopped me in my everloving tracks. This, from Martin Luther King's Letter from a Birmingham Jail, shook me to my core:

"I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season.""

Am I telling my daughters to prefer a negative peace? Am I paternalistically setting a timetable for black mens' (and all womens' and all LGBTQ people's) freedom?

We marched together on Sunday in a peaceful demonstration in our town to show solidarity for our black neighbors as they grieve let another senseless death at the hands of the state. My 18 year-old drew a banner that depicted Officer Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis PD officer that murdered George Floyd, as a pig. I told her not to take it, because it would reflect poorly on our family. She ignored me. I'm proud of her for that, even as I cringe a little because I know there are good cops who hurt for their communities.

But I know more fully that I don't know.

I write this to you today not because I have the answers, but because I'm genuinely at a loss. My girls, whether they know it or not, have made me question what I thought I knew. I watched the President of the goddamned United States of America teargas Americans so he could have a ham-handed photo op and saw no members of his party save Mitt Romney blink a fucking eye in protest.

Maybe we should burn it all down.

15 comments:

zman said...

As I've lamented before, I don't know exactly what to do either but I don't think burning it all down is the answer. I do think we need massive policing reform and, obviously, better leadership at all levels of government. Part of that policing reform should involve a federal statutory remedy along the lines of the Voting Rights Act.

Donna said...

“Letter to Birmingham Jail” is the quintessential King work. And the one that convicts the white community and particularly white church the most. Still. President of PCUSA seminary in Richmond, Union (who is African-American), penned a stirring statement about the need to witness now and more than we ever have to affect change.
Y’all did your part yesterday. And on we must go. The acts of the President cut against everything the church he stood in front of stands for and Congress’ failure to respond is horrendous. The Bishop in DC responded powerfully!
Here’s to better days, more truth-telling, and justice that too long has been unfulfilled.

Marls said...

I don’t have any great answers either, but I think a good place to start would be burning the current two party system to the ground. It is polarizing and frankly does to represent anyone I know. The idea that two corporations, not codified anywhere in our founding documents, represent the political views of everyone In this diverse country and are untouchable institutions is insane. The Republican and Democrat establishments’ desire to hold onto power despite this fact has resulted all sorts of wrongs including gerrymandering and political candidates that pander to the base. AOC was right, there is no way she and Joe Biden should be in the same party - Nor should Trump and Mitt.

I have heard a lot of people saying that we should bring about change via the ballot box. However, until we have better options in the voting booth, it is not going help all that much.

Shlara said...

I've been in the "burn it all down" camp for awhile. We white people are the problem--our comfort and complacency. White men have held power for centuries, and my people--white women--have gone along with oppression because of the "benefits" of proximity to power. Nothing will change until we change. And by change, I mean how we show up and interact and behave in everyday life.

Shlara said...

Also, keep in mind that we can all choose to "escape" the environment or discomfort if/when we want to or need to. Black people can't. This is their life 24/7.

Take a moment to read this, and if you don't already read the Undefeated, add it to your daily reading list.
https://theundefeated.com/features/a-letter-to-my-white-friends/

rob said...

i've watched two things today that were useful, if baby steps in terms of listening and learning:

this is from former eagles' linebacker emmanuel acho, explaining how white people can help by first trying to understand: https://twitter.com/thEMANacho/status/1267609472589090816?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

and this is from civil rights leader bryan stevenson during a commencement speech at johns hopkins about the four things people need to do if they really want to help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRJlEjU7vO8

33 minutes between the two of them. make time for it.

Shlara said...

The problems are systemic everywhere, not just related to law enforcement. Lack of access (and for a LONG time, willful denial) to heath care and education, going back to the slave era. The results are dire, and the impact of a catastrophic event like a pandemic is disproportionately devastating:

COVID & health disparities
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/20/black-americans-death-rate-covid-19-coronavirus

COVID & education (McKinsey sucks, but they do have good data)
https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/public-sector/our-insights/covid-19-and-student-learning-in-the-united-states-the-hurt-could-last-a-lifetime?cid=other-eml-alt-mip-mck&hlkid=7a5458c27fb444bcae8269741aee171f&hctky=12039008&hdpid=f03ba96c-ba91-4e31-8bd3-b070af5574b9

rob said...

sucks that this shitshow was the last thing wes unseld knew about the world. r.i.p.

Unknown said...

That's a bummer. RIP to the big guy. I remember standing next to him in a hallway one night thanks to Shlara's connections and generosity. I felt seriously small. The pride of a franchise.

Unknown said...

I've read / watched everything you all have posted. I've not said anything on social media about all this stuff yet. I'm mostly listening and watching and appreciating. After being horrified and despondent.

I'm someone who, for example, never let his children use the word "hate" for anything, and I exist as the most non-confrontational, lighter-side, get-along kind of guy I can be. Lately I have seen so much pure ugliness, stupefying ignorance, mind-numbing horribleness, and unadulterated hate in our president (unwaveringly), but also our government, our citizenry, our species (in too many instances). It wears me down and makes me shed tears. I'm particularly bad at processing and coming to terms with this kind of stuff.

Even in these dark days, I will find reasons to believe, and maybe, maybe, maybe the dialogue taking place now effect some real change rather than loud campaigns that don't move the needle. For now, it's pretty bleak.

We need some dipshittery soon, but I'm sapped somewhat joyless.

Shlara said...

Also, I posted this a while back, and reposting this rec now: watch the Ava DuVernay doc 13th. It's on Netflix.

rob said...

you should read the undefeated piece shlara linked to earlier. finally had a moment to do so.

TR said...

Hi Gheorghies. Pour some out for Steve King’s political career. Or don’t.

rob said...

i'll pour some out, into a glass, so i can toast the demise of that racist fuck.

Marls said...

How long until King gets a NewsMax show?