Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Makin' Music For Money

Here in Gheorghe: The Blog's music bureau, we trend off the beaten path more than on it, Frost-style. Exceptions exist, such as our dedicated efforts to keep you informed on Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions, why the Grammys suck, and a few other mainstream music bits here and there.

More often we dwell in punk rock, hip-hop of yesteryear, and underappreciated alt-rock gems. But for today, let's look at some of the high-profile, high-dollar acts coming to an expansive venue in a large, metropolitan city near you.

Listed below and submitted for your approval are the top-grossing tours of 2018.

1. Ed Sheeran
2. Taylor Swift
3. Jay-Z / Beyoncé
4. Pink
5. Bruno Mars
6. Eagles
7. Justin Timberlake
8. Roger Waters
9. U2
10. The Rolling Stones
11. Kenny Chesney
12. Journey / Def Leppard
13. “Springsteen On Broadway”
14. Foo Fighters
15. Sam Smith
16. Guns N’ Roses
17. Drake
18. Helene Fischer
19. Phil Collins
20. Depeche Mode
21. Luke Bryan
22. Billy Joel
23. Imagine Dragons
24. Metallica
25. Celine Dion

I went to see U2 and Springsteen on Broadway last year.  Both delivered the goods mightily.

Anybody catch any of the other acts on the list? Headed to one or more in '19?  I'd like to believe that I've attended my last show when it's more helpful to look at the oversized screen near me than the teensy-weensy band on a stage over the hills and far away. But you never know.

Actually, I'm always interested in whatever musical events, large or small, you people are attending (not musicals, mind you), so please share what's on your rock and roll docket the coming months.

Up next for me: Pink Talking Fish next Saturday. Always fun.

23 comments:

TR said...

Fuck Billy Joel

Marls said...

But who would you marry & kill, TR?

zman said...

Squeaky and I have a Budos Band show in the works. Action Bronson is coming to The Wellmont in April but on a Wednesday night. I want to go but the next day will be tough.

rootsminer said...

It will likely surprise no one that I'm with TR on Billy Joel.

rob said...

i'm gonna see the rootstone jug band at the leesburg flower and garden festival in late april. and the dirty dozen brass band at the tally ho in leesburg in late may. trying to find another fancy-sounding event and/or venue in between those two.

rootsminer said...

Sadly, the jug band will not be in leesburg this April. We do have a show at the Henrico Theatre in rva on Friday 3/29. If anyone wants a spot on the guest list let me know.

rob said...

well that's a jug punch

Whitney said...

3/29 in RVA might be doable. Worth moving things around to see a gheorghie playing live music...

Whitney said...

Zman, are we doing Isbell/FJM in RVA in June?

Dandy Warhols in DC in May seems like a longer shot.

Whitney said...

Trombone Shorty and Ben Harper, 8/21 in Lynchburg and 8/22 at Wolf Trap...

TR said...

This Lori Loughlin news has me bummed out. I have silently carried a torch for her for 30+ years. It all started with Secret Admirer and Back to the Beach, a movie I’m not afraid to admit I really liked when I was in middle school.

TR said...

But I have no sorrow for the Filliam H. Muffman family.

T.J. said...

AUNT BECKY ON THE LAM

rootsminer said...

Just think TR, if LL was your mum, you may not have had to slum it at W&M.

Whitney said...

If LL was my dad, I’d have doper rhymes than those in “Dr. Seuss”...

Dave said...

wocket in my pocket, not small . . .

Dave said...

grinch who stole xmas doing thirty to life . . .

TR said...

Happy 1-yr laid off anniversary to me! Tomorrow is the 10-year anniversary of the other time I was laid off.

Getting laid > getting laid off

Whitney said...

Good ones, D. Pave

Whitney said...

Coincidentally, Random Idiots were formed pretty much 30 years ago today

Dave said...

johnny g likes coco loco . . .

our rhymes weren't appropriate 30 years ago and they're less appropriate now . . .

Dave said...

it's funny that happened so late in freshman year. the concerts and songs kind of permeate all my memories of monroe . . .

Whitney said...

A lot of stories had to already happen that year for us to write songs about, you know...