Saturday, March 23, 2019

In Whom Do We Trust Now?

Since at least 2008, it's been our custom to repeat 'In Shaver We Trust' when assessing the fortunes of the William & Mary hoops program. Now, we have no idea where to place that trust. Certainly not in neophyte athletic director Samantha Huge, whose firing of Shaver without seeming regard to the obvious consequences has likely doomed the Tribe program to the cellar of the mediocre CAA for at least the next several years.

To recap the state of affairs, Shaver was fired after W&M lost to Delaware in the first round of the 2019 CAA Tournament, despite the fact that his team had just become the only current CAA member to win 10 or more league games in six consecutive seasons, and with little regard for the fact that the team he had returning next year would've been a favorite to win the league. Since the firing, which was nearly unanimously panned by the hoops intelligencia, four prospective starters on next year's squad have entered the NCAA's transfer portal - seniors Justin Pierce and Matt Milon are considering leaving as graduate transfers, and freshmen Chase Audige and L.J. Owens are willing to sit out a year to transfer.

Pre-enactment of Samantha Huge making it rain
Rumors abound that Huge is willing to significantly raise the bar on salary to attract a name coach to Williamsburg. On Twitter, @CoachingChanges (I have no idea who runs it, but they consistently seem to get things right - they had Shaver on the hot seat last year and I got pissed about it, but they sure knew more than I did) suggested yesterday that W&M would pay as much as $700k/year for the job. That's more than double Shaver's package. Other rumors have the budget even higher, on the hunch that there's a deep-pocketed donor willing to drop the cash.

While I think it's a good thing that W&M will invest more into the program, I can't for the life of me figure out who would take the job right now. Or perhaps, who would take the job for the right reasons. A talented young guy like UMBC's Ryan Odom or a LeMoyne's Patrick Beilein would have to know that they'd be taking on total rebuild at a school with serious academic demands and constraints - even modest success is at least three years away. A retread like John Thompson III, who worked with Huge at Georgetown, would want serious money, and would view the job as a career rehabilitation opportunity. And why would someone in that scenario (assuming we're not talking absurd cash) take the W&M job given the high likelihood of failure.

Nathan Knight's senior season is gonna be...whew, man
In all likelihood, we're going to wind up overpaying for a middling assistant with a modest profile, probably repped by Parker Executive Search, a firm that specializes in athletic executive recruiting, in a you-scratch-my-back-I'll-scratch-yours transaction designed to help Huge land her next job. My greatest fear, other than the obvious reality that we'll be fucking terrible on the court for the next five years, is that we're looking at Rick Boyages v2.0.

Man, I hope I'm wrong. But that would be really unusual. This, as we've said ad nauseum, will likely do down as a Huge mistake.

28 comments:

Mark said...

Sorry, dude. It’s not the same scenario at all but I lived through Spurrier being replaced by Ron Zook. It was a dramatic change and the results were fucking awful. I hope this works out better for you.

zman said...

I son-in-lawed the shit out of zmother-in-law today with about 4.5 hours of car shopping and car salesman intimidating. If you are looking for a five passenger SUV you must look at the Mazda CX-5. Driven back-to-back with the Audi Q5 2.0T, the 2.5 turbo CX-5 is just as good and anywhere from $6k to $12k cheaper. It’s a CPO bargain.

Mark said...

My wife just traded in her Q3 for a VW Tiguan. It’s quite nice.

Mark said...

The Trae Young is Mark Macon guys ready to take that L? Asking for a friend.

Mark said...

Not exactly the most thrilling first weekend of the tourney.

rob said...

got out of my comfort zone and went to a rock show by myself. and as soon as i got in the doors of the club, ran into fogtb scotty mac. the lesson, doing stuff is better than sitting on the couch making excuses not to do stuff.

Mark said...

This is true. And something I regularly need to remind myself of. Couches are cool. Life is better.

TR said...

There’s a wee bit of “good stats, bad team” element to Trae Young this year, but he looks awesome. His handle and passing are off the charts. That time will be fun as hell next year. You would think they should be able to land a decent free agent.

TR said...

I left a 3-hour open bar fundraiser after 2 hours tonight. I had two drinks. Decided I wanted to get a good night of sleep. Shocking show of self control by this guy.

Danimal said...

The quality of sleep that an alcohol-free evening brings vs otherwise is not comparable, at least for my wife and I.

The games have been a big let down in my opinion. Happy to have been at one of the best ones in Belmont/MD.

My aging body and mind has been screaming at me to start stretching/yoga for some time now. I got out of my comfort zone and did a 90-min Bikram Yoga yesterday a.m. w/a neighbor. It was hard. I sweated copious amounts. I'm sore as hell. And will do it again soon. Namaste.

Dave said...

i drank to much alcohol last night and had lousy sleep. i feel like crap. i need to start competing at level 2 cheerleading (or perhaps even level 3).

TR said...

Hot yoga would be better for me than anything else, fitness-wise. It's the best. But it's a bit of a hassle. A large towel gets soaking wet. A yoga mat gets sweat-stained and needs to be rinsed. And there is the whole "out of one's comfort zone" element. Kudos for you for doing that. I need to suck it up and get that back in the routine once a week or more.

Shlara said...

Yoga is essential. I've been practicing for 20+ years--started when it was still weird to do.
Hot yoga is like an extreme sport--I'm not a fan.
Toughest part in practicing yoga is quieting your mind and committing to be present in your practice.

Also, unrelated to yoga, I am still *SO MAD* at W&M for firing Shaver.
How did they think that this was going to play out??

Whitney said...

This Tennessee Iowa game looks like the first half of the Hoosiers finals. Huge athleticism dominating smaller shooters.

Better run the picket fence, boys. But don’t get caught watching the paint dry!

Whitney said...

Afternoon, everybody

zman said...

I spent the day sonning the shit out of zmom, first moving tons of furniture into her garage as get gets ready to sell her house, then taking her condo hunting near me with tremendous success. Next I’m taking her and her husband to dinner at the finest diner in the area.

In other news, how bout that Mueller report?

Danimal said...

Good on you Zman. You are a good son.
I would have been surprised if anything of substance came out of said report, with the recent hedging we have seen on the D side.
On that front, someone you guys and gals know, works with a company that was just this past week hired by one of the Trump companies. The two have had several dances before, this one culminating in a relationship of sorts. He tells me, and I trust him, that they have been fair to deal with, thus far.

Danimal said...

As a lover of diners, name that diner Z.

TR said...

Unfortunately, the area where Zman and I live is too white collar to have a proper diner. The nearby ones are okay, but nothing special.

If you don’t see a very swarthy Greek man or a handsome older woman when you walk in, it won’t be a classic diner.

Mark said...

Jonny Dawkins has gameplanned Duke very well. And his kid is doing Dad a real solid as well.

zman said...

Florham Park diner is legit.

Mark said...

It’s the same down here, TR. Yiu have to go over bridge and off the barrier islands to find a proper diner.

Shlara said...

Fucking Duke

Danimal said...

Gutted. Have Duke in 2 of my 3 pools but would have gladly taken UCF W.

rob said...

that was an amazing college basketball game. i hate duke, and i love zion. such conflicting emotions.

Whitney said...

Rob has always loved Duke and acted like he doesn’t.

I echo Shlara’s comment.

zman said...

Got the lamb gyro tonight. The tzatziki was a bit blander than I like but the lamb was on point as was the pita. Greek fries were good but not great once they cooled off. The guy at the register is Greek I think but to TR’a point, it’s not the Athena or Cedar Lane Grille or Louie’s Charcoal Pit.

rob said...

i also don't care much for virginia tech, but i'm rooting hard for them this evening over those hypocritical bible bangers.